2009 UHR double eagle, is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Gold Coins' started by Austro, Sep 28, 2014.

1. Austro

Austro Member

I am sure there has been a bit of talk about this coin on the forum but I have been looking at this coin for a while and am in need of some insight (preferably from owners of the coin).

I'm not a big spender on coins, usually max $1000 but I have heard so much about this coin and I would like to finally get a 1oz gold coin into my collection. My first question is, is it worth the $2,500? considering that I can get 1 oz gold coins for $1500 is it beautiful enough to pay the extra $1000? I've never been able to see the coin in person so I really don't know. (I figure as people are buying the coin at $2,500 they must think that the coin is worth it).

As an investment it does not look like the price will move much more than it already has and will likely just follow any movements of spot price, is it likely I will lose money if I was to sell the coin in 5-10 years time?

Lastly, if I did buy the coin, is it worth getting a graded one or just one in original packaging? I have never bought a graded coin before but as this is an expensive coin for me, would the graded ones be more secure? But does being in a slab take away from the ability to view the coin? Is it worth paying the extra few hundred dollars to get an MS-70 over an MS-69?

Thanks for your help.

2. Altima

Altima Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I wouldn't pay anything more than 1800 USD for that coin. Seeing how the prices have actually stagnated or headed downwards, don't think it would go up anytime soon unless it is just for your personal collection.

3. JoeFromNorthCarolina

JoeFromNorthCarolina New Member

The 2009 ultra high relief is a gorgeous coin, But even thought it has numismatic value with the drop in gold, That coin will come down in price as well. If you have the $$ and you love the coin, It MIGHT be a good investment for you because next year they will be coming out with a 2015 UHL, And maybe with the 2009 UHL, There may be interest as far as being the 1st coin in the series ( If there will be a series in years to come, Or if you consider 2 a series.. lol ) , But no guarantee. As far as grading or original government packaging, It is up to you.If you buy graded, Get a ms70... grading is a personal choice. Good luck.

4. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

I would check the populations of each before shelling out a huge difference in price for MS69 vs 70 - but an MS70 coin has been graded essentially "perfect" by the grading company (of which PCGS and NGC are the only two that really matter). If buying a graded modern numismatic, I would want an MS70, and there will always be buyers for MS70 coins, whereas you might find some collectors will snub an MS69. So if it comes down to liquidity, an MS70 will sell before an MS69 at the same price.

Just don't pay an outrageous premium for MS70 over MS69. If you can't afford the MS70, I would look for an original mint packaged coin instead, and not bother with MS69, unless you only collect graded coins.

One of the members on here lucked out a few years ago and bought a bunch of these for little over bullion prices - I think the Australian dealer didn't know what they had, and sold them *way* too cheap. I was dumb enough to point it out on SS before buying any myself :p

5. tjwon2013

tjwon2013 Member

I can tell you this: there is no way to get this coin for $1800.

I got one for $2200 this year. GMP.

For me, this is well worth it.
    I will keep this until I die. I personally think this coin has been the best from the US mint.

Plus, GMP is better IMHO.

6. Austro

Austro Member

Thanks for the advice, I think I will hold off buying it till next year but I definitely want one.