2006 Red back coins

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by sberends, Jan 16, 2012.

1. sberends

sberends Member

Hi Guys,

What is the difference (if any) in buying a 2006 red back coin in an NGC or PGF packaging as opposed to the original Perth Mint packaging it came with. Is it "worth less" without the original packaging? Or is it worth more because it has been graded? Or does it make no difference at all?

An example is http://www.ebay.com/itm/2006-TUVALU...ultDomain_0&hash=item2c62359bb8#ht_1330wt_797

Apologise if this should be in another thread- I thought of that just as I clicked submit. Can a mod move it or delete it?

2. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

Use the "report" button (bottom right) and some manners and it will probably get moved :)

3. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Moved to silver coins.

This coin has always puzzled me... but the hype and pricing highs predate this website, so I don't know what sparked the massive prices. Personally I think it should be sold with the mint packaging and COA intact, and not graded - the collector releases should retain their collector packaging if being sold as a numismatic. Less of a consideration with bullion or circulating coinage... but it's a bit like ripping the Mona Lisa out of it's frame and putting it in an A1 photoframe with a sticker saying "Genuine!".

Graded collector releases are a bit bizzare - I can understand it with proof versions of regular coins (although you would think any mint up to snuff should be cranking out PF-70 proofs anyway), but a coin with a mintage of 5000 or 10000 that's produced as a collectible?

4. Nedsnotdead

Nedsnotdead Active Member Silver Stacker

whats everyone reckon these are worth now and future value?

5. Austacker

Austacker Active Member

I think they have some notoriety however as for an investment I don't see any great gains to be had in the future personally. Certainly not on my hit list. Interesting coin none the less.

6. Lunarowl

Lunarowl Active Member Silver Stacker

I heard this second hand.. so not sure if it's true.
    Apparently the company who started the series went bankrupt, and ended up melting a large number.

7. Aurora et luna

Aurora et luna Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I have bought and sold two of these coins. Both coins were encapsulated but didn't come in cases.
    The first one I paid $30 and thought I hit the jackpot when I resold it on ebay for $60 a few weeks later.
    The second one cost me $35 and I held onto it until I sold it for around $850 cased but without the original cardboard box or COA.
    To achieve that price, I bought a couple of Great White Sharks sets and used one of the cases for better presentation.
    Probably would have picked up an extra $50 or more if I had the original certificate of authenticity and box.