2 oz Kookaburra coins - what's the going rate?

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by xiki, Dec 16, 2011.

1. Boyo

Boyo Active Member Silver Stacker

Just checked my notes and I found the stats on my total for 18 2 oz kooks.I paid a total of $1656.00 or $92.00 per. Plus Album
    The Numis album and inserts cost a whole $36.00 ,including craftwood

As Xiki's original post demonstrates,some of the mintages on these are quite low.Will only get more difficult to find them and put a set together,if that is what lights your fire :)

Austacker ,looking at the example from the website ,I am unsure if that was the album I got .thought it was 8 per page ,but memory could be leading me astray. Anyhoo,that one should work with the right size holes for the 2 oz caps.

They fit well .As I said ,the trick is to assemble the caps from both sides of the insert.With the overlap on the rim of the capsule ,there is no way they can come loose.

Only thing I would have done differently would be to paint the inserts Perth Mint Green..or as close to that as possible..Mid Brunswick Green or such..but hey,I am anal about stuff like that.. :)

Hope you guys can use the info!

Cheers

2. GOLDPIRATE

GOLDPIRATE New Member

Raising the dead I know but, just interested to know why, in your quest to find "appreciating" releases etc do you exclude the special limited kinds such as the privy, proof & boxed coins? Whilst I understand the dislike of the privy mark coins, even though @ least some of these are extremely low mintages & cannot be reminted to increase mintage numbers (stated on the COA that there shall only be made only xxx amount), why the dislike of the boxed & proof? I have some of these with rediculous low mintages. Even some, if you do the research, lower than stated, especially if in sets that use common bullion, only having the box & COA to make them rare?

3. trew

trew Active Member Silver Stacker

I do chase the regular proofs but decided long ago not to bother with the privies.
    The Perth Mint released so many of them it is near impossible for a collector to get them all

Having said that they do go for a premium - just not enormous premiums

I am particularly partial to the 10oz evolution proofs released between 2001 and 2005

:D

4. GOLDPIRATE

GOLDPIRATE New Member

I hear you. I was talking more about the limited aspect. Take the 1997 non-privy leatherette cased offering with 650 max mintage COA. You don't think these will be worth a pretty penny someday, simply due to the ultra-low, guaranteed mintage set by the mint. Regardless of set collection etc?

Btw, Mmmmmmmmmmmm to the 10oz babies ;)

5. hiho

hiho Active Member Silver Stacker

were the 2 oz proof kooks released in a set or on their own, i picked up a 2oz 1993 proof recently