1kg kooks - Buying it for numi value or cost effectiveness per oz...

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Skyblues, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Skyblues

Skyblues Member

Hearing that 1kg kooks do not have numi value but I disagree with that based on my observations of the market.

I personally do not care about the looks etc, but I buy 1kg kooks for their numi value I see. Am I wrong in this sense, I see 2008, 2009 kooks selling for much greater premiums than 2011...In 2020, it would be very hard to find a 2009 1kg kook in the market...

Anyhow, I appreciate if you can share your perspectives and observations of the 1kg kook trends...Its ups and downs, how do you compare it to 1kg bars...Since when these have been produced, how difficult it is, for example, the first ever year it was produced in...

Cheers,
    Sky

2. Big A.D.

Big A.D. Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

As well as the numismatic premium, there is also the tax implications to consider in the world market with the 1kg coins being legal tender.

If physical bullion has a 2-5% manufacturing premium over spot and a country (somewhere) has a 20% VAT/GST on the purchase price of silver bullion, it might well be worth an investor there paying 15%-20% over spot for a kilo Kookaburra because it would still work out cheaper tax-wise than if they bought a boring old bar.

3. Goldmember

Goldmember Member

I reckon the 2009 is an awesome looking coin...a 1kg even awesomer. Theyre just nice to have.I saw a early 90s 1 kg Kook go recently for about 1500 on Ebay(when things were on the rise)...blew me away.At moment a 1993 went for $1250 on Ebay.I reckon that the nicer coins have a premium and the others not much over the bars.I think i read somewhere the Germans like the 1kg coins...

4. Photonaware

Photonaware Active Member

The Germans definitely love the kg Kooks and they are becoming very difficult to source over here in Euroland.
    When one turns up on FeeBay it is snapped up at a premium.

Just a question to you folks in Aussieland ?
    I've a friend planning to visit and tour Australia shortly staying about 2 months.
    If I ask him to buy me a 1kg Kook ( Perth Mint price list USD 1,285 today ) are there sales taxes or other costs to add if bought in Australia ?

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Ebay is generally a poor place to guage prices though. Apart from the fact it's a deliberately rigged market, the average buyer there generally over values what they're paying for - whether in a stretch for anonymity (lol) or simply because they don't know, or THINK they know the market, they tend to overpay.

That said, the 2008 and 2009 were stellar years for kook designs. I do like the 'fat' 2010 Kook and the 2011 is nice, but the 08 & 09 are definitely better designed IMHO.

6. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

No taxes in Australia for 1kg bullion coins.

7. Clawhammer

Clawhammer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

You guys already took the ashes in your recent tour, now you're coming for our silverware too?! :lol:

P.S.
    Hummers are usually still available to be bought when silver bar supply dries up...albiet at a premium.