1998 lg date ebay?

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by silverstar1, Feb 25, 2012.

1. silverstar1

silverstar1 New Member

Hey I just wanted to see what the panda experts here think about this listing on ebay 190643536251 , It looks nice but I noticed a few things I cant tell if it is just the lighting or if it is a fake , what i noticed is the collar looks shiny, the left shoulder looks wrong and the center bamboo leaf looks solid with no ridge. I am still new to the 90s pandas so I decided not to go for this one. Please let me know what you think. Also the same seller has another 2008, 190643543682 that looks like it has to be after market plating.

2. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

The 98 definitely looks a bit suss, it doesn't look like the usual LD or SD.

http://forums.silverstackers.com/message-256153.html#p256153

The elbow is wrong and the leaf in the middle is a bit flat. The seller may not have known it was a fake given his feedback.

The 2008 is definitely aftermarket plating, quite common in Europe.

We may be seeing some fakes pop up soon on the 1998 LD, it's prices now comfortably exceed the 2000 frosted in MS69 grade.

This was predicted by master 25GRIZZLIES :).

3. comeaux

comeaux Member Silver Stacker

I agree with fishball on the '98

I just took a quick glance at the pandas that this ebay dealer is selling and some of them do look a little suspect, I did not look at them long or compare them to authentic pandas but when I get some more time I will.

Proceed with caution and do a little research before buying these pandas from this seller is what I would recommend ... there are just too many legit sellers/dealers available to take unnecessary chances.

4. fishball

Took a closer look and compared it to my OMP 98 LD Panda... (unfortunately no pics).

Errors or suspicious items on the date side:
    - Inner rim is protruded far more than a real 98 LD
    - The 1998 is likewise protruded
    - The temple details are severely lacking
    - The 1998 is too tall and as such too close to the inner rim
    - The finish looks off, it is unlike any panda I've seen (glossy?)

Errors or suspicious items on the Panda side:
    - The left arm is missing fur on elbow
    - The bamboo the panda is holding lacks the 'veins'
    - The area behind the left leg of the panda is missing a little bit of rock/ground
    - The shoots behind the panda are missing leaves (specifically the left-most, 2nd up from the bottom)
    - The shoots behind the panda are of poor detail

I am almost positively sure this is a fake panda (95%+). The poor picture and lighting may account for some things but it still doesn't feel right.

5. 25Grizzlies

25Grizzlies Member

I'm wary of jumping to conclusion after the '96 one here on SS. The thing is the photo as angle, lighting, the capsule can all distort the image as we found out with that one.

Initial arguments for a fake not mentioned above are:

- outer rim seems thick, easily spotted above the .999 Ag 1 oz
    - rock under arm missing a piece (not 'straight' enough) as is also under left foot,
    - too much frosting on left shoulder (triangular patch not on original) and inner right arm.
    - the 8 appears 'linked' however may just be catching the light at the middle.

Agreed the temple side mirrored fields look 'wavy' not harmonious. Also the finish appears 'zinc like', that's how my fake '00 mirror looked.

Saying all this it may be simply a case of a poor photo making the coin appear illegit. Very hard to say.

I have noticed strike differences between a couple of my Pandas, admittedly the ones Ive mentioned above appear greater on this coin. There is enough 'good' about this coin (the fur appears intact and general bear shape and temple look ok to me) for me not to write it off without seeing the coin for real. Also the '98 is not a big counterfeit target thus far, the '00 mirror is.

But overall, this was a poor coin purchase online for $200 which, while not a fortune, is not insignificant. Like comeaux says there are plenty of good bears out there and the money would have far better been spent on a guaranteed bonafide Panda.

6. fishball

More amazingly is that a dodgy coin like that not in OMP managed to fetch $200.

The market for 1998 LD is amazingly hot right now!

7. 25Grizzlies

25Grizzlies Member

Man, it's not just the '98 have you seen the expo coin prices?? Eg nearly 1k for the 98 coin show Pandas (being asked)... auctions are not going for anywhere near that though. I had a feeling they were in for a big boost. Wilkes did very well jumping on these and I can't wait to get the '00GZs I have coming. Another observation MS69's are hot right now, very few deals on ebay.

Appears I won't get that bargain hunting year I was hoping for, but then again... we'll see.

Ha yeah sure felt good to be right on the LD98! It had to overtake the '00 frosted at some point, survival numbers are way lower.

8. fishball

Mirrors my thoughts exactly. I am very happy yennus is able to find bargain GZ expo pandas in Shanghai because there are few bargains on eBay.

Even the generic Panda years (2005+) MS69 are hot hot hot with the floor being set higher and higher.

Some of the other MCC I was buying are now completely gone from eBay, in any grade. There just aren't any for sale.

9. silverstar1

silverstar1 New Member

Thanks for all the great imput on this. I was considerind bidding on this but as I mentioned it did not look right and now i conclude there is too many things that make it suspect. I am certainly not accusing any seller of knowingly selling fakes, I just think if there is a fake it is good to put it out there for people to be aware of . I am still just learning about the pandas so it is really helpful to have opinions from people here with much more knowledge and experience so thanks again for the replies.

10. 25Grizzlies

25Grizzlies Member

Awesome post! Newbies into the market trying to get their heads around Panda coins instead of the usual nutbars. I hope it rewards you well one day!

No offence to all the nutbars out there, you know who you are.

:D

11. fishball

I love nutbars, especially Be Natural ;)