1995 Micro date on ebay

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by 25Grizzlies, Sep 28, 2011.

1. 25Grizzlies

25Grizzlies Member

1 (or in this case, 2) of the 3 non proof 1oz Pandas you gotta have. <4000. Has a more matte appearance than other Pandas. I have bought mine from astranagant, note: GREAT photos... they stand up to scrutiny if you have the Panda bible. It was an excellent trade with good communication. The double seal was the clincher for me, probably would not have touched it otherwise. Ask him if he'll sell you a single, maybe.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1995-China-...571?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item336c77381b

2. yennus

yennus Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Heheh... it's as if you were at the SydneyStackers Meet :)

Yep, this was the famed 1995 Micro Date, Short Twig Panda that was discussed :)

It's a Rare Bear :)

3. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

What's the 3rd non proof panda I gotta have?

4. 25Grizzlies

25Grizzlies Member

Hi fishball, the 99 serif (wee line under the 1) <7000. Usually cheapest of the Big 3

5. yennus

Yuppers, the big 3 :)

ahh.... and the hunt continues :)

6. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

Damn... almost $900 lol.

Too rich for me :p

Although I'm pretty sure we'll revisit this post in 3 years and say "wow $900, bargain".

7. yennus

Very true... very true. :)

8. comeaux

comeaux Member Silver Stacker

These are definitely 1995 Small Dates "micro dates" and if you've purchased authentic 1995 micro dates from this dealer before then this is a good price at $2,500 for 2 of them unless they grade 68 then you break even on them if you are planning to sell them soon. If they grade lower than 68, then you could lose in the short interim.

If they both grade 69 then you would do well. I wouldn't plan on a 70 as NGC has only graded one 70 so far. Strangely there are purportedly 4,000 of these but NGC has only graded 200 which lead me to believe there may be even less in population but then again Peter's book appears to be a fairly accurate guide on estimations.

I would caution anyone purchasing 1995 "small date" to ensure that it is authentic.

Even if the coin has been graded by NGC also be very wary of the correct identification as initially NGC made several mistakes when they first begin grading the 1995 "Small Twig-Small Date" and labeled many of the 1995 "Small Twig-Large Dates' as "small dates" when they are not. The difference is very minute although it is very easy to distinguish once you see them side by side.

I have seen many dealers selling these mislabeled coins as they are labeled "small date" trying to cash in on big money and since they are dealers I think they know better but trying to prey on the unknowing. That's just my opinion. I have seen them on ebay and contacted the dealer informing them of the mistake but I get the same canned response "I am not a grader, please look at the picture and bid accordingly".

Fortunately NGC has gotten much better and are now grading these appropriately but just be aware, don't end up like countless victims I have seen on EBAY running away in joy and happiness with their new found "small date" when it's actually just a bomb to their bank account.