1990 Small Date Silver 1 oz Panda MS-68

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by silverbulldog, Jul 3, 2012.

1. silverbulldog

silverbulldog New Member

Hi Stackers and Collectors this is my first post here on the Panda Side.

I follow Panda's and they have been a part of my life since i was young. I never owned any silver ones though just gold Pandas that were passed down to me from my Grandfather in Asia. I got into Silver pandas about a year ago and hate the fact that i did not pick any up when i was younger.

i decided now is as good as any time to act so i started out Picking up a few 2012's..one graded one OPM, a 2011 MS 69, 2010 MS 69.

but this morning i got a 1990 Small Date 1 oz MS-68 and what i am wondering is if i should even be bothering with MS-68's for the older panda's i buy. Should i spend the extra to get MS-69's or should i just buy OPM older Pandas.

My dad got a 2003, and a few other years and i had the opportunity to buy a 2002 that i passed on this weekend.

any comments on what is best as far as MS-68's or OPM older dates?

thanks to you veterans for Blazing the trail for my love of Pandas

Silverbulldog

2. Reggie Perrin

Reggie Perrin New Member

Hi Silverbulldog

I have a growing number of MS68 Pandas in my small but, hopefully, growing collection of Pandas, and being totally honest I can't spot any issues\flaws with them (when compared with the MS69s I have).

So as far as i'm concerned I'm not buying seconds\rejects, but quality coins at a discount price, which means I get more Panda for my buck, build my collection faster, save some money for gold coins.

With regards to OMP over graded, and this is a personal preference, I dislike OMP as they're more difficult to store/view.

As to which is the best investment OMP/MS68/MS69; I'm sure a much more experienced Panda collector than me will give you some sound advice. ATM pandas are a hobby for me; gold, stocks, bonds, cash is my investment.

3. silverbulldog

silverbulldog New Member

Hey thanks Reggie! I to think it would be a pain to store the panda's in OPM but they are so damn cool that i am opened to the hassle if it provides more value when i pass these along.

care to post any pictures of MS-68's anyone?

4. comeaux

comeaux Member Silver Stacker

Silverbulldog welcome to panda utopia

5. Thor122

Thor122 New Member

My thinking is better buy the big grade you can buy.
    I buy silver pandas. And 1/10 and 1/20 gold when i saw it cheaps.
    I normally buy 69s. But in the latest years 2009 to 2012 69s to my collection and 70s to investment grade.
    In the early years 2002 and below i buy a few 68s when i saw it for less than omp or at good prices only.
    I buy a 1998LD ncs/ngc 68 for 138.50 yesterday.

6. silverbulldog

silverbulldog New Member

Hi Thor,

this is what i was thinking and the only reason i got a 68 is to get my hands on a few of the older Pandas that im not willing to shell out a couple hundo for yet. We will see how bad my panda addiction becomes though. I guess i paid around the same as i see the OPM's selling for so it must have been a decent price...btw paid $80- anyone think i did okay or overpaid?

I only have ms-69's for a few other year pandas and want to pick up some OPM's to have graded if you and some of the other panda pros think its worthwhile to do that.

thanks everyone for the posts and insight into this amazing line of coins.

7. Thor122

Thor122 New Member

I think is better buy 69s. Or omp coins if the seller have a good eye to coins or you are sure they not are rejects of cracked for slabs with low grading.
    I normally not buy omp from usa people. But i buy a lot of 69s.
    If i saw a coin for 50 uss or less than omp value in ms69 or pf69 i prefer buy it grade than in omp and have the luck to adquire a future 69.
    You can read here in the forum my estadistics in grading, yennus and others members too.
    Here you can buy omp coins from yennus, maggie, cepepo, jc a lot of 8s
    Grade from musemellow, fishball, yennus, jc8888, comeaux (he have a lot of 68s at good prices and ncs too).
    80 for what coin you pay?

8. silverbulldog

silverbulldog New Member

thanks Thor for all the great info and your strategy on picking up 69's or OPM.

I got the 1990 Silver Panda 1oz MS-68 for $80-

i should have it today as well as a 2007 MS -69 which i got for around the same price if i am remembering correctly.

i can't wait to get them in hand!

silverbulldog

9. Thor122

Thor122 New Member

Its a good price for a 1990
    I pay for a 2007 ms69 100 uss.

10. heyimderrick

heyimderrick Active Member

Most on here will tell you not to buy less than MS69, but like Reggie said, I can hardly ever see a difference between MS68 and MS69. MS67 I normally spot a few blems, but nothing that makes the coin truly unattractive. In all honesty, grading is very inconsistent. My opinion is simple, if you like the coin and the price is right for you, buy it. I have many graded pandas, from MS64 to MS70 and I can tell you that I have MS67s that look better than MS69s and MS70s that look worse than MS69s. There is no guarantee, but one could estimate that even lower grade pandas will appreciate in value as the older dates become harder to find in high-quality OMP and BU condition. Just my opinion.

11. shibaji

shibaji New Member

^ +100

12. 25Grizzlies

25Grizzlies Member

I agree with derrick, don't know why but I have a suspicion in the distant future the OMP coins will be extremely well sought after

13. jc888888888

jc888888888 New Member Silver Stacker

+100000000000000

14. jc888888888

jc888888888 New Member Silver Stacker

Yep, the big dealers in China are grading ,these real rare graded coins at auctions like Housan are coming from them ....you will see a point in time that OMP will tighten up ,and the quality of them will diminish ,soon these dealers will figure out what to send to grade and what to offer for sale :),they know the premium involved with graded coins,NGC has an agent and office in Guangzhou I believe ,they are actively promoting............... there are only so many of these good old OMP examples out there ,I think now is a window of opportunity to buy,If the economy turns and supply tightens, only one thing can happen, dramatic price increase:)

15. silverbulldog

silverbulldog New Member

Yeah that make sense and i was thinking buying MS-68's for the older years that i am not willing to spend for and MS-69's for any more recent years like 2012, 2011,2010,2009,2008,2007,2006,2005.

i will get some in OPM as suggested as well.

Today i ordered a MS-68 1989 and a MS-68 1990 Large Date..both shipped for $210-

is that decent or did i overpay?

Silverbulldog

16. heyimderrick

heyimderrick Active Member

Maybe a tad high for today's market, but nothing to beat yourself up over. Panda prices can be quite volatile. The overall metals market softness is temporary. As soon as silver prices solidify and resume the march higher, buyer excitement will jump and panda prices will ramp up. Your buy of $80 for the other 1990 MS68 sounded like a deal to me. I have 1990 small and large date in my collection that I had sent to NCS that came back MS68 that I now have a basis of roughly $105 per coin. BTW, if you're looking for 1/20 gold pandas, I have some 1984s and 1987s that I need to sell for another party :D lol.

17. silverbulldog

silverbulldog New Member

Hey man it's funny you say you have a 1984 1/20 gold panda as i really want any 1984 coin i can get my hands on...however i am not well versed with buying online and do not use paypal or even know how to go about it. If i can get my fiance to get it for me maybe we can talk.......so how much were you looking to get for the 1984?