1984 1/10oz Gold Panda

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by Lightsview, Dec 12, 2011.

1. Lightsview

Lightsview Member

2. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

No proof 1/10oz Gold Panda from 1984 according to Pricepedia and Mr Ge's book, only 12oz.

Seems to be aftermarket capsule and packaging.

My OMP 1984 1/10oz Gold Panda does not have capsule and looks like your usual OMP gold panda.

3. Lightsview

Lightsview Member

Thanks FB. Yup, just checked Mr Ge's book and no mention of the gold proof pandas.

Guess you right, they must have taken the coin out from OMP, capsuled it and then resealed it :rolleyes:

4. Lightsview

Lightsview Member

I saw that the seller also sold another 1984 1/10oz panda in OMP. I assume this is how the coin was issued back in the day....

http://www.ebay.com.sg/itm/380391514204?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

5. Austacker

Austacker Active Member

Do we have a sponsor link for Mr Ge's book by chance ? and even though it is in Chinese is it worth getting if I already have the Panda guide ?

6. Chillidog

Chillidog New Member Silver Stacker

1986 was the kick off year for 1/10 proof gold pandas. Only 12oz proof gold before this.
    The coins are marked with a "P" on the panda side "reverse"
    I think they were only in sets of five coins 1oz down to 1/20oz.
    Just had a look around and the plastic cover looks like Shenyang style but Shenyang did not mint gold pandas until 1985, only minted in Shanghai before this.
    So it's not a proof no "p" and it has been re packaged.
    I'm a newb too so if I am wrong sorry just trying to help. Feel free to correct me.

7. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

No sponsor link, you can get the book from Xu Hong or Shanghaicoins on eBay. Not sure which is cheaper, both come to around 25 I think.

The book is alright, it's pretty easy to understand even if you can't read Chinese.

Not sure if I'd prefer one or the other. Panda book and Mr Ge's both have their own merits / uses. I use Mr Ge's book (sort of...only for quick reference) + pricepedia.

The biggest plus side for Mr Ge's book is the 'star rating' which he uses to determine rarity (perceived) of coins. Given he is the master of Chinese coins (in China anyway), his opinion is very useful in evaluating buys when you're buying super high end coins.