1983 1oz Libertads

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by dag108, Jun 11, 2013.

1. dag108

dag108 Member Silver Stacker

Hey guys

Thought I would share a new purchase I got from Ossie at Bullion Money - Thanks mate !

[​IMG]

Obviously they are old coins which had me pretty pumped so would like to hear other stackers opinions on them.

Also the first coin in the tube has obvious marks any way to clean this or is it OK because it is 30 years old !

Cheers

2. dag108

Figured out how to clean em.. baking soda !

Youtube is awesome

3. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

Never clean coins...ever. The age is what beautifies.

4. dag108

Really.. each to their own then I love how it turned out

5. worldbubble

worldbubble Active Member

upper left coin has pretty nice toning

6. mtforpar

mtforpar Member

Well, if you cleaned it you made a mistake. I sold my last one like that for $300.

7. Matthew 26:14

Matthew 26:14 New Member

yeah ive cleaned bullion coins before like the libertads or ase's much better without rainbow on them i reckon

8. Aureus

Aureus Active Member Silver Stacker

They're great coins, if you get more pleasure out of seeing them shiny then clean em.
    They are of no historical importance so no damage done.

9. Photonaware

Photonaware Active Member

I could never work out why a coin that has either been in a fire or left lying in a smoke filled polluted environment could ever be considered higher value. Toning is caused by corrosion, dirt and other contamination. Very old coins from Roman times I can understand but a coin that is only 30 years old ? I am sure if you placed a 10 year old coin in the wrong type of plastic bag and added some chemicals you could obtain a blackened or "toned" coin in a matter of weeks if you like that sort of thing.

10. mtforpar

mtforpar Member

Natural toning is different from fake toning. Natural toning is highly desirable and buyers will pay for it. Since that was an end of roll coin the value of the coin would have been substantially more than just a raw coin. From what I can tell from the pic the toning was also rather attractive.

If you own a coin do what you please with it. If you are trying to maximize your return on investment then I would of sold it as is and counted the profit.

11. dag108

Very interesting maybe next time I wont be as disgusted when I see a toned coin.

Cheers

12. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy New Member

I recently got an unopened mint tube of 1985 Libertads. Those cheap Casa de Moneda cardboard tubes are awful. They're only a little better than the cardboard tube in the middle of a roll of toilet paper. One end is 95% open and just slightly crimped and the other end is taped shut with fancy but still cheap CdM scotch tape. The coins in that tube were all nasty dirty and the ones near the slightly crimped open end were coated with a layer of really nasty, sticky black crud. That wasn't toning. That was just 28 years of crap from wherever they'd been stored. They were so bad they practically stuck to your fingertips if you touched them. I know "cleaning" coins is a mega-taboo with many people, but I can't bring myself to think that lightly cleaning off nearly 3 decades worth of nasty, sticky filth is criminal.

So --- I don't blame you for cleaning the crud off of an old Libertad. Some of the older Libertads I've bought have been among the grimiest coins I've ever seen. I've never seen anything else like the way they sometimes get.

13. phoenixeagle

phoenixeagle Member

Hmmm, I've got a sealed tube of 2011 libertads, was going to put them in airtites, but decided to just leave them in the tube. It's in a sealed plastic wrap that came from the mint so I thought that should protect them.

Not sure if I'd be safer just to chuck them in the airtites...

14. jamesgonewild

jamesgonewild Member

Yeah, probably chuck them in air tights ;)

15. Ossie

Ossie Member

Still have some 1983 libertads for sale. Noticed the first couple of coins in the tubes have toning. Some of the toning is really nice some just meh

16. dag108

I think ill come back and buy all the toned coins. :lol:

17. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy New Member

In the choice between leaving Libertads in those CdM cardboard toilet paper rolls or putting the Libs in airtites, I'd definitely opt for the airtites. I don't take it that far, because
    I'm just doing storage--not exhibition. Mine go into RCM tubes (which take silver Maples, Philharmonics and Libertads), but CoinSafe brand square plastic tubes are also good.

One other thought... When moving Libertads from CdM mint cardboard "tubes" into their permanent storage home, give the coins a quick wipe with a cotton gauze pad soaked
    with rubbing alcohol. That'll remove whatever gunk and crud they picked up before they got to you without affecting toning. Let the coins air-dry before encapsulating them or
    putting them into real storage tubes.

18. kcaven

kcaven New Member

I have had good luck with boiling water and baking soda-line the pan with aluminum foil and it attracts even more crap off the coins then gently pat them dry-DONT RUB or you will scratch them-Ive put lipstick on some pigs
    :p

19. PuraPlata007

PuraPlata007 New Member

A libertad for 300 bucks? Donde because I have many to sell if that is the case.

20. Malachi Constant

Malachi Constant New Member

Thanks for sharing the pictures of the libertads. I think they are a beautiful coin.
    I had a some coins delivered to my workplace that I'd been squirrelling away with Gold Stackers earlier this year. Among them were an ASE, a philharmoniker, some kookaburras and a 2012 libertad. My workmates were curious so I showed them around. They unanimously voted the libertad the most attractive of the lot. And I'd have to agree.
    I thought the kookaburras might have been more highly rated but no. One of my workmates said the 2002 version looked like the kookaburra had slammed into a window.
    I rate the libertad alongside the Britannia as my favourite bullion coins.