1980 silver paradigm shift

Discussion in 'Silver' started by leo25, Jan 25, 2011.

1. leo25

leo25 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I came across this 1980 news paper saying that it was not just the Hunt brothers that cause the silver squeeze in 1980.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?i...J&pg=4142,661805&dq=silver+manipulation&hl=en

maybe there was no manipulation in the silver market rather the US $ was crashing on its own terms.

makes question what we know about 1980. maybe what we are told was not the whole truth...
    Now the US is saying China is manipulating the market up. looks like they are trying the same trick, but this time we have the information to know better.

Thoughts?

2. MrSilverAG

MrSilverAG New Member

it was not just the Hunt brothers, they just amplified the affect of the rampant inflation in the the US in the late 70s on the price of silver and other commodities. In 1980, citizens of China and the USSR couldn't buy silver, and the inflation was pretty much limited to a US problem. Now it involves the whole world, and you have individuals in China and worldwide buying up the silver. I think this bull run will make 1980 and the Hunt brothers look like a game of tiddlywinks

3. Nub Cannon

Nub Cannon New Member

Yeah this bullrun would make the parobola/exponential curve in the 80's look like a small spike . To the moon!

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Not just the number of players in the market now either, but the sheer volume of cash to invest has sky rocketed since that event.

Remember, we have NOT YET MADE THE 1980 HIGH in real dollars, yet alone inflation adjusted!

Consider the trillions of printed dollars out there in the world today (in all currencies) and it absolutely dwarfs the total world currency base of that period. If even 5% of that cash panics and flees to metals, it'll absolutely blow the 1980's highs from here to kingdom come.

I think people don't really realise, appreciate or understand the sheer vastness of the currency base that's floating out there now with absolutely nothing to back it.

Once the trickle turns to a flood, I don't doubt what will happen.

5. MrSilverAG

MrSilverAG New Member

good point. Not only is the demand much higher now, but the money supply available to buy silver is ridiculously larger, and the world supply of physical silver has dropped dramatically since 1980.

holy crap! I've gotta buy some more silver! :)