1980 Russian Olympic silver coin proof set

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by Jim4silver, May 27, 2015.

1. Jim4silver

Jim4silver Well-Known Member

I just picked one of these up today and was having a bit of buyer's remorse. I was wondering if anyone here can tell me if these things are in any real demand among collectors? I like to buy foreign silver when I can get it cheap, and I got this set for roughly $1.00 over melt per ounce (contains about 20.5 ounces of silver) so I know the price was great. I got it in the box with COA so I plan to keep it in my collection for a while. I don't see too many Russian silver coins so I made an impulse buy.

It looks like this:

http://www.apmex.com/product/27874/1980-russia-28-coin-olympics-silver-proof-set

Thanks for any input!

Jim

2. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I've had the smaller sets of these & they are hard to move above silver price

3. Jim4silver

Jim4silver Well-Known Member

Thanks Spannermonkey. I had hoped maybe they were popular like some of the gold ruble coins (relative to melt). I figure I am going to keep them with my long term silver stash and since I got them for not too much over melt, it was a good deal all in all. I am a sucker for the foreign stuff cheap when they have the official boxes and COA's etc.

Jim

4. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Forget about modern Russian / Communist stuff
    The new stuff is collectable
    Pre 1890 is worth collecting , the last Tzar ,post 1890 is still hated & collectors want touch them