1967 Pattern dollar

Discussion in 'Numismatics' started by somethingsilverrelated, Apr 21, 2014.

1. somethingsilverrelated

somethingsilverrelated Member Silver Stacker

I have been looking at the 1967 pattern dollar for a while now and have recently come across this proof version which I am considering.
    I have a little concern regarding the obverse of the coin which presents with two fairly visible hairline scratches near the date. Do you think this would significantly affect the coins (NGC/PCGS) grading?

It seems past sales (at auction) have sat comfortably at around $1500 + 20% so thats around $1800.
    I'm not really concerned but does anyone have any idea of the market movement of this coin. I find the coin very appealing however I feel that the market price does not seem to reflect the scarcity and uniqueness of the coin. Do you think it is a lack of legal tender that reduces the value of this coin?
    Once again thanks for any input!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. thepurplepenny

thepurplepenny Active Member Silver Stacker

I don't believe either of those scratches will prevent it from grading. Of course it won't get a top grade either because of them. The prices in these surged from 2005 (when you could get them for about $300) to their current levels a couple of years back. They've been rather flat since then. If you want one, get one. But don't buy it expecting returns in the short term.

3. somethingsilverrelated

It is a shame about the scratches on an otherwise lovely coin. It also doesn't come in a proof case either which is a little bit of a draw back. From what I've seen in auctions and on the net I feel like desire for this coin is waning possibly because it is being so heavily marked up (some have been asking close to 3k), so maybe I'll wait for the next Downines and see where it heads... A interesting piece of history though. And no I rarely expect short returns from numismatics, I'm getting into it more out of interest than a desire to make money.

4. thepurplepenny

My proof didn't come with a box. I ended up buying one for a rather ridiculous sum that I am still a bit embarrassed about. I paid how much for an empty box? :cool:

I should add that I'd wait to get one of these at $1500 or so as a maximum price raw with or without a box.

5. somethingsilverrelated

Haha its an easy coin to get carried away on I think. Such a great design, limited mintage and unique history. The guy I was looking at buying it from reckoned I could recoup $200 for the non proof box which was in appalling condition. That just made me think why don't you get the coin slabbed and sell the box yourself:roll eyes: I don't think so!

Think I'll keep waiting...

The tribute set the PM put out for Andor Meszaros is nice as well for a PM product.

6. Old Codger

Old Codger Active Member Silver Stacker

I cannot even remember those!

7. SilverSurfer77

SilverSurfer77 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

What is a reasonable price for a Milled edge in it's original case?

Thanks in advance :)

8. thepurplepenny

$1500-$1800 would be what I'd hold out for. But try to look at one in-hand rather than buying one on-line. Lots of them haven't been treated well over the years and can have hairlines.

9. thepurplepenny

I paid a bit more for my proof box but it's not a mangy one. But I got the coin at a bargain price so it all worked out in the wash. The other half of the Purple Penny (my partner) got her UNC milled edge coin several years ago for $300 or so before prices went silly and it's still the nicest one I've seen. I'd swap it for mine but I'm sure she'd notice.

10. kidkiss

kidkiss New Member

I have 4 of 1967 goose coins: 2 milled edge and 2 plain edge. I know i have too much, but I am very obssessed with these coins =.=' anyone here happen to see the gold one?