1966 50c Planchet Error

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by ashleyd123, Jan 12, 2013.

1. ashleyd123

ashleyd123 Member

[​IMG]

I discovered this planchet flaw on one of my round 50c coins. I recall someone mentioning that this is very rare, almost all 50c planchets are flawless, but that a few others have been identified.
    Has anyone discovered any similiar coins? Photo's not the best but the crack runs entirely across coin from I to the S. Otherwise coins is uncleaned and in EF condition.

Worth keeping by itself or throw it in the bag with the rest of them?

2. Austacker

Austacker Active Member

Hi Ashley, looks like a die crack to me. When the die is on its last legs and has weakened due to constant pressure. As for rarity yes, I have not seen many with errors so well done on that one. I don't know if there is much of a premium for these, however there are a lot of people who will pay handsomely for errors.

I have put a few together here for reference - http://forums.silverstackers.com/topic-33179-a-collection-of-errorsr.html

Cheers

3. ashleyd123

ashleyd123 Member

Thanks Austacker,

Appreciate the info, I agree there's something about errors that make searching countless coins worthwhile. It's those moments when the unexpected comes along that really makes your day. A coin with a character all of its own.
    I remember finding a wavy 20c some time ago, yet to find one since, but I'm always looking. There's another one out there somewhere waiting for me :)