1953 Coronation Crowns

Discussion in 'Numismatics' started by silvertongue, Jun 21, 2011.

1. silvertongue

silvertongue Member Silver Stacker

Hi All,

Can anyone give me an idea of the value of 1953 British Coronation Crowns (Five Shillings)? Looking at them they're obviously cupro-nickel in composition, and in uncirc condition, but other than that I don't know anything about them. Considering whether I want them or not.. :)

2. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I think they brought some out in Sterling Silver as well. As to the value, I don't think they are particularly rare or sought after. I would probably go for the Churchill crown before those.

Do you like them? If I remember rightly they are part of a set that you can get from around the commonwealth, I wasn't that excited so I just have a couple of the sterling variety as the price was not that bad.

3. kilo

kilo Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

not worth much, maybe a couple of dollars, have you checked ebay?

4. silvertongue

I do like the design, and the novelty of having a printed, rather than reeded, edge. I may keep a few just for show. Sterling ones would be nice! Haven't seen them anywhere (yet).

I believe the same design was re-struck in 1960 as well. I have come across the Churchill ones before, when I was looking at some other items in a coin shop. Opted for some $5 silver coins instead.

5. Mattlyndy

Mattlyndy Member Silver Stacker

As kilo stated they are only worth a few dollars, the postage will cost you more than the coin unfortunately. The Churchill coin really is no better, I currently have a number of both which I paid way too much for ($10 ea) if only I had have done what you have just done, I would not have gone near them. In saying that there are some on SS who swear by them and believe they are terribly underpriced and that they will one day come good. I live in hope.

6. silvertongue

Yeah, that kinda confirms what I was thinking, thanks. I might just grab a couple "for show" in the trinket collection :)

7. kilo

kilo Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

could go for an 1898 its got a printed edge ;)

8. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

My mistake, I saw the image of the Queen on a horse and got it confused with the silver jubilee crown, which also has her majesty on top of a horse!

In fact I couldn't have been more wronger as

The 1953 Coronation Crown
    There was a time in which the market for 1953 Crowns was up and down, mostly driven by one of the promoters needs. It has quietened down and we are now back to a more orderly market. The 1953 Coronation Crown is rather unusual being the only Coronation Crown that was not available in Silver.

They are on the website for about 24 in Unc and 14 in not so great condition, but they fact that they are still on the website means that they are probably considered over priced.

I like the shields design on the back though

9. silvertongue

Ok, got a few just for the heck of it. Actually, it's a really nice coin. What a shame it's not .999 :D Maybe will develop some small numis value when I'm old and grey.