1934-1935 australian florin

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by pat, Jan 11, 2012.

1. pat

pat New Member

I have 2 1934-1935 florins in good condition. How much are they worth.

2. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

3. Austacker

Austacker Active Member

LOL

Pat we would need good quality photos to make any assessment. Welcome aboard

4. pat

pat New Member

These are melbourne centenary florins and have been siting in my late fathers draw since 1935

5. Austacker

Austacker Active Member

A picture tells a thousand words but they could be worth a few hundred dollars or more, they are a rare part of the series. Do they come in a bag by chance ?

6. Big A.D.

Big A.D. Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Renniks 24th Ed says:

VG = $200
    F = $240
    VF = $300
    EF = $400
    aUnc = $525
    Unc =$750

7. Captain Kookaburra

Captain Kookaburra Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Let us know where you are situated, and I can direct you to a trusted source for valuation.

Ck.

8. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

$300-$500 would be the usual price range.

1for1

9. pat

pat New Member

Thanks I live in Perth Do you know a trusted valuer

10. ausau

ausau Active Member Silver Stacker

Hi Pat,
    It may be worth ringing a few of the coin dealers, some of them may do it for nothing, others may charge you.
    There is a ANDA show in February here which coin dealers from all over Australia come to, you could hold off till then and take it to a few dealers at the show.

Blake.

11. Austacker

Austacker Active Member

Pat I am in Perth and more than happy to give you an idea as well, happy to meet somewhere locally etc... I also know a few local Auctioneers that may be a better option for you. Send me a PM if you like and we can work out the details. I know the guys at Rare Coin very well, but remember they are out to make money too.

Just so you know I have a Gem 1934/35 Florin so I do know about them :)

12. pat

pat New Member

Thankyou everyone for your help I may take them to the ANDA show in February

13. wwwww

wwwww Member

14. Captain Kookaburra

Captain Kookaburra Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Rare Coin would be Good, also Sterling and Currency in Fremantle. Andrew there has written a number of bookson Aussie Coins.

15. rbaggio

rbaggio Active Member Silver Stacker

16. Graeme

Graeme Member Silver Stacker

These coins are great for collectors at present as they are a reasonable investment with potential to increase in value if they are top notch coins .... a good Ef or better. There is always demand for them if the price is right.

+1 to CK recommendation of Rare Coin Co, or Sterling Currency (SC) in Fremantle. Andrew Crellin at SC is the ANDA president and is brutally honest with coins and values.

If going to the ANDA coin show, be wary of some dealers as I found they will offer a pittance in the hope of getting a bargain from an uneducated seller.

17. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

These coins for the most are 1 dimensional.. you proberbly have a EF specimen.. most are.. most were never circulated as the issue price i believe was 3 florins (3x face).. unless you have the Foy & Gibson bag?, from either Melbourne or Perth. The Melbourne bag in top condition is very scarce while the Perth bags are rare in any condition (Coin Web, 2007).

IMO.. there is very little reason getting this coin checked out unless you are wanting to sell as unless you suspect it is fake, its basically a very standard issue coin.. id say $350 is about what your looking at unless its a proof-like strike (again exceptionally rare) but should be immediatley obvious if you are at all into numismatics

1for1

18. SilverSurfer77

SilverSurfer77 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I have 2 of these coins (1 EF & 1 UNC) and IMO are one of the best looking coins in the world, and because the sale price was 3 florins is why most of these coins would be high grade as they were never put into circulation, it is actually rarer to find one worse than EF. I have seen the bags alone go for $150+ so yes they are indeed rare and a great prize in good condition.

There were originally 75000 of the Centenary florin minted but because they were so unpopular 21000 were never sold and were melted back down, leaving just 54000 in circulation. IMO I believe this coin is a great part of Australian numis history and a great investment for the future concidering there is only 54000 of them out there and most are good high grade coins.

Even though now I am concentrating on silver bullion and growing my stack I am very fond of my Centenary floins I dont think I could ever part with them and would love to add more to my collection.

SS77

19. ecc

ecc Member

As people would know by now that i am a coin dealer and attended ANDA coin fairs for a long time plus i know most dealers personally, my recommendation for a Perth dealer to take your centenaries to would be Andrew Crellin at Sterling Currency in Fremantle (terrific guy and very helpful) as mentioned above. I have about 30 of these coins myself so i'm right up with them as well, but by far the most knowledgeable dealer of centenaries is Klaus Ford, he should be at the ANDA fair in Perth so go see him as well..

Some of the sites mentioned above are good but if you have no knowledge on grading then you would be better off seeking advice from someone who knows, like one of the above mentioned dealers.

SilverSurfer77 mentioned that he/she seen a bag sell for $150+, well i've seen and sold bags for upwards of $650.00, these bags are so sort after that forgeries are starting to appear.

Anyway good luck with your coins.

20. SilverSurfer77

SilverSurfer77 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Has anyone got any graded Centenary florins?

I would be interested in comparing the coins I have to something that has been slabbed by NGC ect.