1882 Sydney Half sovereign

Discussion in 'Numismatics' started by Antonis1967, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Antonis1967

Antonis1967 New Member

Hello from Greece,

i like to ask your opinion for this coin i have in my collection. I lately realised the high value of it.
    I have checked to most reputable Australian Coin dealers online shops but havent found it to any of them,
    to comrare its value .Only 1882 M half sovs they have.
    I like to know an estimate of the value of it and a possible grade that it might take (my opinion is beetween xf40/45 to au50)
    I put some photos of it that took to help you make your comments.
    So if anyone have any information to help is more than welcome :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Regards to all
    Antonios

2. aussiesilver

aussiesilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Lovely coin Antonios,,would grade as EF or XF as you say over there,,catalogue value would be around the $6000 mark,although you wont get that sort of money in these times.
    Send it to PCGS for grading then onto Heritage in the States for Auction,long drawn out excersize but i the end i think you would be happy. UK are big buyers of quality Aussie Half Sovs at the moment,thats where all mine are sold into,congrats on a very nice coin,you dont see them like that,,pity it was not the crenulated reverse,that would nearlly double the book price regards aussiesilver

3. Naphthalene Man

Naphthalene Man Active Member Silver Stacker

nice photography Antonios

4. Aurora et luna

Aurora et luna Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

The difference in valuation between a low grade (fine) and a Brilliant Uncirculated is over $30,000
    It's important to get it graded properly.
    Just don't let the dealer buying it from you do the grading :)

5. VRS

VRS Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Antonios - - VERY nice coin. It'd be worth you joining NGC as a premium member to get some free conservation & slabbing jobs done - on this one alone the membership fee would be covered maybe ten-twenty - thirty-forty... or 600 times lol! ;) - Personally I would NOT send it to PCGS.

If someone really wants this coin the official 'book' value thru dealers might be around $6000-7000 for vf, $25,000-30,000 for ef+>UNC and (only two or three recorded I think) in exceptional UNC/Gem, valued around $60k... so you see the difference is huge depending on grading. I have to say though, that reverse shield is verging on the exceptional - the obverse young head is good but nothing like the shield side in terms of presentation (and preservation)...

Unfortunately though if you limit yourself to EU/local buyers - and I KNOW how popular British sovereigns (and Krugerrands for that matter) are in Greece especially right now because everyone's worried about the Euro so is converting their cash into gold... I saw this in London when I was there a few weeks ago.

Whilst it is a beautiful coin I think that more people in Greece right now are interested in bullion coin or bars, for the reason above - the Euro is only headed one way for the foreseeable future... and that's DOWN...

So, spend a little on getting it conserved, graded & slabbed - then contact these chaps and get an estimate for the current US mkt: http://www.goldbergcoins.com/ and also John M at Bonhams in London (John Millensted, email for his attention: [email protected] +44 (0) 20 7393 3914) - they also hold international sales via their satellite hook-ups with Los Angeles, New York, Beijing, Shanghai & Sydney by the way...)

I saw a similar coin, close year & key date but Melbourne Mint with a book value of $6,500 that sold for $1,700 last month... so y'never know lol!

It all depends on which way the wind's blowing on the day... but WOW... what a nice find...

Best of luck with it :D

6. Antonis1967

Antonis1967 New Member

any thanks to all for the informations.

Just a couple more questions i ve got .
    Does any one have the lattest McDonalds book to tell me what is says about it (ref 023a)
    And also an idea from Michael Marsh book the Gold half sovereign what is the rarity it gives to it..

7. Antonis1967

Antonis1967 New Member

8. Austacker

Austacker Active Member

It also appears to have a distinct die crack running on the obverse side, right across QV cheek and down. This to a lot of collectors adds value to some it has no effect and others dislike so you can't please everyone.

I have tried to look in my reference books but it doesn't appear to be listed so it could be a new variety ?

[​IMG]

9. domdolittle

domdolittle Active Member Silver Stacker

It seems to correspond to Type Five (A), which includes 1882S...

Low relief, wide head, pony tail close to G of Gratia.

Wide coarse border thicker, lettering and date,

No front ear lobe, 136 denticles. (2012 McDonald, page 45)

Possible value, McD 023a, between VF & EF... ($1550/$13750)

:cool:

10. Antonis1967

Antonis1967 New Member

Hi to all,

you ve been much helpull all with your answers and what i got mostly from you was that this coin needed to be sent for grading by the proffecionals.

Thats what i did , it has been send to PCGS (sorry VRS i didnt follow your advice) and the result will come before the end of this month.

Rest asure i will post the news immediately for you all ....either they are good or bad ....:rolleyes:

I have also one more question for you,when you say in Austalia EF grade or aUNC,

what is the range of grade that must be written outside the slab of a graded coin ??

Best regards to all form Greece....

11. wwwww

wwwww Member

Grading translations aren't really fixed between PCGS grades and Australian grades.

Australian grades apply differently for different coins, for example a typical UNC Jubilee Head sovereign is likely to have reasonably heavy bagging so would grade around MS61-62 while a typical UNC 1964 threepence is probably going to be around MS64.

Some coins which are rarer in mint state are so rare that dealers push up the grades to make up for the lack of supply, for example an UNC 1923 half penny is more likely to grade around AU55-58 while an UNC 2011 5c would probably grade around MS66.

Then there's the fact that every dealer has their own grading system.

You're better off just sticking with the PCGS grades and valuing them through the Blue Sheet

12. Antonis1967

Antonis1967 New Member

And the news are good,

to tell the truth they are better than good ..........

The Top ever Graded by both PCGS and NGC 1882 -S half sovereign, among the extremely small population

of only 14 examples at both companies is the one i own !!!

http://www.pcgs.com/Cert/17258906/linking.html

That made me extremely happy today and many many thanks again to all of you my friends for everythng !!

13. silvergrey

silvergrey Member

Congradulations ! I am a bit jealous.