16ct or 700?

Discussion in 'Jewellery & Gems' started by gimmiethegold, Jul 11, 2013.

1. gimmiethegold

gimmiethegold New Member

Hey guys I saw a ring today that was 700 or what the seller claimed was 14ct and I didn't say anything about the mark at the time. Does this exist? I couldn't find much information about it online however what I could find on ebay was online new products that were 16 ct and they were watched that were rose gold which looks very similar to this ring.

2. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

14 karat is a popular choice for wedding bands but it is also known as 585 gold as it is 58.5% gold.

700 would mean it's 16.8 karat.

So methinks the seller has one the numbers wrong or is a bit dodgy. Does it have a stamp?

3. gimmiethegold

gimmiethegold New Member

Yes the stamp says 700. It is kind of rosey. Looks very real and heavy, completely solid. How accurate are tests other than acid?

Thanks mate.

4. wrcmad

wrcmad Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

5. ShinyStuff

ShinyStuff New Member

Sg test is a great idea but wont work if ring is set with stones.

Shiny

6. gazzahere

gazzahere Member Silver Stacker

I find acid ok - but not deadly accurate - I use it as a guide. I am sure very experienced people would do better.

xrf - bullet proof as long as you get to the metal ----------- thick coating or rolled gold is a problem if you cannot file.

SG is good for small items -------- I found with large bits ------------ I did an sg recently on a nugget that was just under 10 oz - I thought it would easy - but it was very difficult - using the water was ok, but getting the right sized container and the right set of scales proved problematic.

Not a piece like that - but other stuff I just melt, stir then xrf - of course you can't do that with jewellery --------- but a heft test tells you most of it I find.

I haven't used a pen, but intend to get one in the future, I have heard good reports.

have a great arvo

gazza