10oz gold bar or silver.

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by Miss Silver, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Miss Silver

Miss Silver New Member

Forget about balancing your holdings or being to heavy in one asset I would like to know what you would be buying right now ??

2. Prior

Prior Member Silver Stacker

GSR is between 50-60 so I would probably go a bit of both but it depends on your situation.

3. Auagau

Auagau Active Member

If i had to chose, it would be gold. But not a single 10oz bar - not as easy to sell

4. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

10oz bars are still liquid. Kilo bars are liquid.

I would probably go for a split if it was your first purchase - 5oz gold and ~250oz silver. If you're already holding a position in metal, it's down to your investment strategy and reasons for buying precious metals - they serve different purposes in my opinion.

Got stomach for volatility, a tolerance for risk and want potential high returns? Buy silver.

Would rather see your capital investment more stable, lower risk and slower but steady gains? Buy gold.

Not financial advice, just an opinion.

If storage is a real concern, the 10oz gold bar is about the size of a thumb - 500oz of silver not so much :)

5. hiho

hiho Active Member Silver Stacker

I'm buying gold for my SMSF and silver for me, should tell the story pretty simply

6. null

null Member

Anyone here use Perth Mint unalloc gold much for their SMSF? Am thinking of this route and save the hassle of storing it yourself (I also note the not yours not in your hand mindset and have weighed up that option already).

7. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

I considered it but haven't.

I reckon SMSF is ideal for Perth Mint unallocated - I mean, which has the higher likelihood of sovereign risk - the government screwing everyone's super over, or the Perth Mint going belly up?

View super as a lottery prize you've been given responsibility for growing into the biggest possible jackpot, with a 50% chance of winning.

8. PerthStack

PerthStack Member

I do. Works a charm and is zero hassle. You can buy and sell with a quick phone call and because it is essentially a government backed corporation there are no issues with the ATO. I trust the Perth Mint and have complete peace of mind using it.

9. null

null Member

I am trying to find any reason NOT to use it (playing devil's adv), and really the only one I can think of is what GP was saying. There aren't any (if any) product which is backed and let's you convert from unalloc into shiny things in your hands.