10oz gold bar -> 10 x 1oz (refining and CGT)

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by randomname, Jun 16, 2016.

1. randomname

randomname Member

A friend knew that I look into PMs, so approached me with this situation that I am not sure of the answers to...

He has a 10oz gold bar from the Perth Mint from early 80s, 9960 fine. He bought it himself at that time (before 1987) so it would be capital gains tax (CGT) free whenever sold. He wants to "convert" it into 1/4, 1/2 or 1 oz bars so that it can be sold in future in smaller lots at different times if desired.

Q1) Is there a reputable refiner in Melbourne who can refine to 999x fine AND cast/mint into known reputable brand bars? Preferably this would be walk in, handover 10oz, pay refining and barring fees and then walk out with smaller bars (as opposed to leaving there and waiting).

Note that just selling the 10oz and then buying smaller bars would mean huge "loss" of value (i checked buy/sell prices at bullion dealers so not viable) plus it would mean losing the CGT exempt status when selling in future. Even swapping would mean losing the CGT exemption, I believe.

Q2) Would melting down the 10oz into smaller bars (paying refining and barring fees) preserve the CGT free status? (My guess is that it would since you're just changing its form and no transfer of ownership takes place.)

Q3) Would such a bar be a vintage and collectible item, attracting a premium? (I only saw a thread by Chip on vintage Perth Mint silver bars, not gold.)

Any answers or other thoughts from experienced traders or dealers would be appreciated.

2. REDBACK

REDBACK Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Re refining ask Humbolt for his opinion.
    Re collect ability of bar ask The governor

REDBACK

3. Golden ChipMunk

Golden ChipMunk Well-Known Member

The flat type

I suggest sell as it is. Still have pm logo.

4. sammysilver

sammysilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Sell the gold, take your profit, and bugger any future CGT, sell privately.