100 oz's in 100 days

Discussion in 'Silver' started by HamBone, Aug 31, 2012.

1. HamBone

HamBone New Member

Hey guys, I'm new to the site and new to precious metals. I'm an engineering student in the US with a young family and extremely limited cash. That being said, I've been able to stash away nearly 150 ounces of silver in a little over three months. I realized recently that instead of spending 5 bucks a day on lunch, I could pack one instead and buy 1 more ounce a week with that money. I switch my work schedule to work 4-10 hour days instead of 5-8 hour days to save on gas money. Things like this have made it possible for me to stack while going to school and working a low paying job that doesn't leave much wiggle room. I'm curious to know what those of you who have been doing this for a while have been doing to increase your investment dollars. Any advice for a newby with big interest and a thin wallet?

2. finicky

finicky Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Interesting introduction - try to send the kids to work as soon as possible.

Also, being vegetarian for other reasons, I can vouch that it is cheaper. As you've already found, processed prepared food costs more too.

Have you done an inventory yet of stuff that is dispensable and could be maybe converted to some cash via garage sale or ebay?

3. metalzzz

metalzzz Well-Known Member

Would love to see this thread expand I love being a tight wad.

Someone posted up here a while back using a double edged safety razor to shave with. I actually bought one of these after reading the recommendation and they are a good way to save a couple of hundred per year. If you buy the blades in bulk (40 pack) they work out to be under a $1 per blade for high grade blades or $.50 for budget. They last just as long and give a better shave. The shavers start at $35-$40 and go up from there.

4. finicky

These days the 'non close' shave is not unfashionable. Out of preference I have for years been using electric hair trimmers/clippers, whatever they're called, on the old dial. No shavers at all.

5. metalzzz

metalzzz Well-Known Member

Vege patch is booming at home now too. Only buy the odd few things now

6. RhythmDoctor

RhythmDoctor Active Member

I've used an electric razor for the last 3 years - keeps it fresh and trendy, and cheap as too!

You could go the whole hog and have a number 3 all over, but I'm not keen on the skinhead look... :D

7. errol43

errol43 New Member Silver Stacker

HamBone.. I think you are doing fine all by yourself..Thats a great effort..If you can keep that up you will have a nice stack in no time at all.

Regards Errol 43

8. finicky

The biggest enemy to stacking is kids. I have a few fond sellers here who I am sure are only selling because of the demands of their whining kids. The kids are impoverishing them. In Asia they'd be out earning early.

9. Byron

Byron Guest

I'm in a similar boat although not a student.

Picked up a second job, 3 afternoons a week and a third job, all day Saturday. It's hard but the wife doesn't mind. Most of the time i wasted Saturdays doing nothing anyway.

For the time being, extra funds will be used for home repairs/improvements instead of PMs. However this means i do not have to use my "regular, day job" income for these things - it can be used to pay down our home loan.

Once the necessary repairs are done then it will be a 50/50 split between the loan and PMs.

10. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

With this type of thinking you pair should be financially independent well before the rest of the sheep .

11. HamBone

HamBone New Member

You may be right, but if I had to choose between children and silver it'd be an easy decision. It's a great feeling to hold a big chunk of silver in your hands, but it doesn't come close to holding a new baby in your arms. Children bring happiness, silver is merely an investment/hedge.

12. Ghost Story

Ghost Story Active Member

i like kids but couldnt eat a whole one

13. HamBone

HamBone New Member

And with a little salt and pepper, silver is delicious!

14. Ghost Story

Ghost Story Active Member

15. Black_Sun

Black_Sun New Member

Renovator must have had a late night out, because his wording could be (incorrectly) interpreted as including you guys amongst the sheep, when clearly you are not. The fact that you are silver stackers (in 2012) precludes that. You are like mountain goats, solitary, independent, and on the heights. I'm sure Renovator will clear this up once he logs on next. :)

16. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

Nope just commenting on how both guys are willing to make sacrifices & go the extra mile to get where they want to go . :)

17. VRS

VRS Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Firstly I must commend you on your steady acquisition of shiny at what have been relatively keen prices before the recent uptick.

Secondly I concur - Wahl is king. Mine have been on the 'No1' setting since '91 and I haven't missed a biweekly trim in all that time, except when stranded on remote islands, touring the Subcontinent or necessarily going native whilst fighting pirates off the coast of Somalia.

Welcome to the club and SS ;) x

18. Boomstix

Boomstix Member

You still need a razor for your ***** though to keep the missus happy ;)