100 oz bars vs 1kg bars

Discussion in 'Silver' started by gcsun, Mar 14, 2013.

1. gcsun

gcsun New Member Silver Stacker

I will buying around 10k fiat value of bullion in the next couple of weeks and cant decide what to buy as my core. 1kg silver bars or 100 oz bars. Will probably stick to the Perth Mint product either way although the new 100 oz scottdale looks brilliant!

What do people prefer? Pros and cons of each? In Australia as a decimal country, does that put the 1kg in front? Really undecided haha. 10 oz seem to carry too high a premium imo.

Any thoughts appreciated and feel this thread could be of interest to others also.

2. Kam

Kam Active Member Silver Stacker

From what I've seen in the forum buy and sell section, the 100oz doesn't sell as good as the kilo bar and the 10oz is most liquid of them, personally I would stay away from the 100oz and stick with a mix of kilo and 10ozers.

3. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Depends on your exit strategy - selling back to a dealer, examine the spreads, as 100oz might be the smallest spread. Selling privately - 10oz, as they are more liquid. Or buy the kilo for best of both worlds.

4. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy New Member

Why not grab one 100oz, $3K or $4K worth of kilos and then spend the rest of your $10K with 10oz'ers?

5. volrathy

volrathy Active Member

32 * Scottsdale Silver 10oz Stacker Bar (New Version) from Goldstackers $9,907.20 thats ~ $80 less then bullion bourse

6. victorktey

victorktey Member

Bullionmark sells NTR slabs of 10 x 10oz bars for $1 over spot. Even after shipping it's still cheaper than Perth Mint's 10oz bars. The price is the same whether you get the slab or the 100oz bar, so perhaps this is the best of both worlds? They also have a 10oz lunar snake bar offering which is the same price if you want a different design.

Unless there's something wrong with NTR bars that I don't know about? I know they're not fancy and purely an investment bullion so probably more for the "silver is silver" crowd.

7. Caput Lupinum

Caput Lupinum Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I'd be more inclined to go the 32 or so 10oz bars

8. nicwinner

nicwinner Active Member Silver Stacker

9. gcsun

gcsun New Member Silver Stacker

My strategy isnt specific atm ie whether I sell to dealers or privately. I am also open to the idea of barter. Eg 10 oz bar for bicycle or 100 oz for mortgage down payment, would even consider a silver to gold ratio trade. Am leaning towards 1kg atm thanks to the advice here and to keep that balance between minimal premiums and liquidity.