100 g "sheet" of 1 g bars. What do you think of these?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by TxMoon, Oct 2, 2017.

1. TxMoon

TxMoon New Member

100x 1 gram Silver Bar - Valcambi Silver CombiBar™ (w/Assay)
    10x 10 gram Silver Bar - Valcambi Silver CombiBar™ (w/Assay)

I ran across these on APMEX and kind of like the idea but am unsure of their worth. They do make sense if there ever is a time you need to use pure bullion as a currency to buy food or fuel. But, to a weight stacker, are they a gimmick? Worth the price over premium?

A side question. What does "with Assay" mean?

2. StewyD32

StewyD32 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

You picked the best positive for getting them (ease of trade if SHTF for food, fuel etc), and also the worst negitive the premium.
    Only you can answer that one. If you believe you will need it to trade if the crapola hits the fan then it's better safe than sorry. If not the premium is not justified unless you just like them.
    I'm a simple stacker I'm not in lunar or anything like that just gold and silver closest to spot at the time or something that might catch my eye. I would like these but can't justify the premium on them when I look at what else I can get for the same price

Jislizard, LonelyStacker and TxMoon like this.
  3. StewyD32

StewyD32 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

And "assay" will have a serial number on the sheet if I'm not mistaken

4. Ipv6Ready

Ipv6Ready Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Unless Russia, USA or China had full first strike nuclear exchange or an extinction level Comet fell on earth, we won’t see a SHTF where 1g Silver becomes valuable.
    99.9999 percent of people in the world would not know the difference between aluminium or silver.

Gold yes

Even in the most unlikely scenario of North Korea, nuked any one or two cities in Seoul, Tokyo, LA, Hawaii and Guam etc etc. and USA invaded North Korea (without China or Russia supporting North Korea) It won’t create a SHTF in Texas where you will be running around trading 1g silver bar for food.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
    LonelyStacker likes this.
  5. LonelyStacker

LonelyStacker Member

I don't stack for the end of the world, however in that event the way I see it the guy with the bread is going to probably want a silver coin or basically an 1oz so I better get enough bread for like a week from that one coin. Not trading 5oz for a single loaf.

I would stick to weight sizes most people can functionally use, hard to use a couple grams for much.

Ipv6Ready likes this.
  6. Ipv6Ready

My comment was in regards to higher premium for 1g bullion.
    1g valambi premium is usually high compared to other bullion and it won’t appreciate.

7. GoldenEye

GoldenEye Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

For the SHTF scenario my favorite small change trading tool would be the old local silver currency. You can still get it for spot price, there's virtually zero fakes and a lot of people will still remember using it in the old days. I expect many people would trust this type of silver more than gold for everyday trading.

m3sca1 and Arch Stanton like this.
  8. LonelyStacker

LonelyStacker Member

That's probably the best idea, in that event scenario a 1oz coin could reclaim to much value, that it becomes like buying a cereal box today with a $50 bill. Maybe I should get a small stack of mercury dimes just in case.

TxMoon likes this.
  9. TxMoon

TxMoon New Member

Well I bought two, a 100 x 1g and a 10 x 10g "CombiBar" and it took me longer to open the box than it did to decide to return them. At almost double spot they are not worth it I'll get ASEs and 1 oz Bars with the refund.

10. Ipv6Ready

Yikes double the premium, that is rough, but expected.

Since you already have, just keep it unless you get free postage return.

In Australia postage would be a killer.

My take on Premium (Australian Perpective)

Precious Metal like 1g Valambi, generic Silver/Gold will trades at Spot + similar Premium in 5 year or 50 years.

Precious Metal like lunars and panda which are collectable and will trade at Spot + increasinly higher premium over time.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
  11. TxMoon

TxMoon New Member

The postage was worth the Eagles I'll buy with the extra I paid "over spot". The two combibars total 6.44 oz of silver, with the return I am buying 10 silver eagles. I get free postage for both sales and the return was only $10.12, roughly half the cost of an ASE. Worth it I think.

Ipv6Ready likes this.
  12. Ipv6Ready

In Australia it is unlikely anyone get free postage and it would be $30 total
    So $10 for original buy, $10 for return, $10 for returned goods.

13. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I bought a complete sheet of the 1g bars back when each bar was worth a dollar. They had just come out or become available in Australia so they were a bit of a novelty. I had an order for the 10g sheet with Maggie but she cancelled it after she saw the premiums being charged for the sheet.

This was when the price of silver was on its way to the moon, the prevailing theory at the time was that silver would be too expensive to buy in larger sizes silver so smaller weights would be easier to shift.

At that time I already had enough kilos of 50% pre decimal so I was not concerned with either a SHTF or the 'too expensive' narratives but it was a product that was a sign of the times and an exellent reminder of the hype going on.

I was interested in getting the gold but that was too expensive, I bought two just so I could snap them but it wasn't as much fun as I thought it would be.

The sheet has a definite curve to them and I don't want to try to straighten them in case they split.

Not a good way to stack silver if you are going for 'bang for your buck' but that could be said for quite a few of my purchases anyway.

TxMoon likes this.
  14. Topherclaus

Topherclaus Active Member

I have a sheet of gold 1g for its divisibility but I justified the price hike because it's useful. With 1g of silver it will be worth bugger all in almost any situation. $100 silver will still see it worth just over $3. 1g of silver just isn't that valuable. 1g of gold still looks impressive and will be worth something, plus is very easily hidden in an event where you want to have PMs on you.

I say this as someone who has moved to a heavily silver stack. I think bulk silver makes way more sense than gold right now but SHTF is close to the only justification to hold 1g of any PM and silver just doesn't cut it for me.

Grimey, TxMoon and Ipv6Ready like this.
  15. JNS

JNS Active Member Silver Stacker

Hi, for silver, i think it is not worthy at all for me, unless you bought it in a good price.

My experience is, from collector to a newbie jeweler. I transformed my dirty silver, fractional pm and some cutlery to piece of usable jewelry. Cutlery, i bought in thrift stores in USA

I bought hundred grams of fractional gold mostly 916 and 999 near the spot 2 years ago from Turkey. In my recollection it was bought on 37usd per gram. Now i am melting them one by one to practice making my own jewelery.

That is the present use in reality for me now for fractional Ag and Au.

My intention on fractional before hand is only novelty. If for enjoyment it is truely enjoying.
    For something else, it does'nt make sense.

m3sca1 likes this.