$100 an ounce for silver sucker?

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by shawn120, Oct 10, 2016.

1. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

^ I love the enthusiasm and it is this enthusiasm collectively by people who feel the same way is why silver will hold value for the foreseeable future.

It is this enthusiasm that, if not kept alive in future generations though, will relegate silver to the heap bins of ancient relics as silver gives way to the use of cheaper or better materials in industrial use.

2. Stark

Stark Active Member Silver Stacker

:)

According to this website, gold is the most useful metal in the world:
    http://geology.com/minerals/gold/uses-of-gold.shtml

But I think the best thing of the gold is that it's making women happy. Girls happy, everybody happy. :p

I have a few Libertads and none of them has spots. And I have one 5oz. I didn't store it good (as I cannot store all stuff good), yet it survived so far without any complaints.:) I guess it's a lottery.

Although I'm getting more and more paranoid with milkspots.

Call me crazy, but... Conan The Barbarian (1982) was the movie who helped Arnold Schwarzenegger propel to a movie star and thus "Governator". Many could see this movie just as a brainless action movie (which basically is :) ), but this monolog especially is a pure gold:
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVTOag1lQHc[/youtube]
    Especially the part from 2:15 on:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVTOag1lQHc

Max von Sydow is a great actor and this is a quote from his monologue in the movie:
    And now they would add to this: and when silver gets milkspots. :p

3. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

Love me some gold. Gold, gold, gold. It is so beautiful. Silver is too. Love, love, love the stuff.

And I agree Stark, milkspots blow. You can do everything possible to protect them, but I really don't think there really is any stopping it. If it was born with the disease, eventually it will come out. If not, then it will be okay. I put all the protective measures around my stuff for my own peace of mind, even though, I know it may not help at the end of the day. Sadly.

1. Vacuum seal
    2. NGC holders (i.e. Moon Festival came with slabs, so I'm sure that helps).
    3. Airtight containers (probably really not airtight - cheap plastic containers that 'say' it is airtight.'
    4. Two types of moisture absorbers. A hefty one goes inside the box, plus some little ones.

I dont' much around here, as I send a lot to 3rd party storage too, and they have tempature control, but who knows, right?

We do our best, and hope for the best. This is why I started to buy little pieces of gold. Because I'm not so worry about white spots. I don't care about the GSR. What good is that ratio, when you buy collectibles, and that premium is gone due to stain or spot? Anyway, my heart leans more toward silver. I just think the beauty of the image on silver shows much better on the metal vs. gold...I know, I'm nuts, but that's just my eyes. So, I continue to buy beautiful silver pieces, but then guys like you come on, and remind me of the white spot issue, and I go, 'why am I even buying silver?' LOL. But memory fades, and I naturally gravitate toward the stuff, you know?

4. Stark

Stark Active Member Silver Stacker

Yeah, I think you are right about being "born with the disease". I think my Britannia 2014 5 oz has them. They are very tiny, but when I saw them my heart was broken. And another piece I like a lot also. Basically 2 of my 5 favorite or so coins. Some people mentioned in the past it might also depends in which season you get coins. Transferring them around in colder periods might be more "problematic", as they might go from cold place to warm one, and this can create "condensation".
    Anyway we can never know how they were stored in the first place and how they were transported around. I think in airplanes it'a quite cold anyway. And some courier services are playing hockey with packages.

I don't sell much stuff, as I'm too lazy and I would like to keep some stuff. But to realize few years later that coins developed milk spots and they are basically "worthless". Hmmmm.

I will buy some small gold coins when I manage to save some money. I like silver much more as well.
    Some time ago I so listing of some rare gold coins. I thought they will be sold out immediately, but they are still available. So who knows.

I saw you got World Heritage for 480$. Wow, you are lucky!:) I paid twice more for graded one. :) I don't know how many you bought, but there is no chance Perth Mint or some other Western mint would sell 10+oz coins or medals for this price.

5. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

Silver and gold can surely be made into beautiful things....I don't dispute this. I think some people confuse my (what I see as) factual positions on silver for me hating silver.

To the contrary....because of my desire to own some of the beautiful things silver can be made into is what keeps me buying certain silver coins and medals in spite of my positions about it not having intrinsic value, not being money, and not being necessarily a good store of value.