10 oz bars is what I'm stacking. You?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Ag 47 Silver, May 26, 2014.

1. Ag 47 Silver

Ag 47 Silver New Member

Hey all, I'm new to this stacking thing. Only been doing it for a couple months. I don't like the premiums of the 5 oz bars although I may buy some for gifts in the future. I'm not to high on 1 oz bars due to the premiums. Not looking to do junk silver due to space. I don't have the capital for kilo or 100 oz bars although I would not mind buying some with a windfall or so. So, I've settled on the 10 oz bars.

I do have some coins although I'm pretty sure I will be moving away from those. Might keep up with my Austrian Philharmonic's that I recently purchased at APMEX. Silver Eagles are nice but the Maple Leafs I also like (low premiums).

Sorry for the rambling... but what do most people collect? I'm looking strictly into bars.

2. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

At the start- anything and everything.
    Two years later- PAMP kilo's, 10oz PM, Stackers, round 50's, old gold coins and 1-10gram certicards. SDB's looking nice and structured now :)

No harm in keeping what you have, a bit of diversity can be good too. A lot of stackers like the legal tender aspect of coins and not too bothered by the premiums attached.

3. 1ozTrOy

1ozTrOy New Member

If i had to start all over again i will only buy ase, sml and 10 oz low premium poured bars since im in canada and i dont plan to sell in 2-3yrs. I do have some 25 oz bars and thats probably as big as i will go.
    10 oz bars are very popular and imo the best and most liquid type of bar to invest in due to its size and premium.

I also have some takus, brits, omnias and pandas but i dont like playing with these cuz i may damage them, so i just leave them in tubes. As for ase and sml, to me theyre pure bullion and i really dont care much if theyre as scratch.
    I will be planning to buy few 1 oz poured bars to play with and one of each in 2,3,5 oz bars just for fun.

4. SpacePete

SpacePete Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

10oz is a nice size. I've gravitated towards 10oz bars and 10oz coins, and some round 1966 50s.

5. Miloman

Miloman Active Member Silver Stacker

More than a decade later and still saving up for my second once of silver. I'm not fussy as I'd happily stack anything for the right price.

Some items are just metal whilst other items with premiums like lunars and kooks can be an excellent play.

I guess like most things, variety is good with the view that when you need to move or sell at least some of what you have, it's good to have diversified.

For example you desperately need money and can't offload some items with premium, well sell some of bullion until you have a chance to offload the premium gear. Nothing worse than trying to find a buyer (which there are tons of) but you are in a hurry and then you settle for less on your premium items.

Or you only stack bullion and miss out on the price increase of premium items. That hurts too.

Variety is the key and as long as you don't overpay, you still have metal if SHTF as many believe and expect.

6. ego2spare

ego2spare Well-Known Member

when i started i just got random stuff. then all 1oz bars, then after that all american eagles. then 10oz bars (perth mint, scotsdale stackers) then 50c coins, then stackers again, then 10oz perth mint coins and 1kg coins. now 50c coins and tubes of crocs..... each one of those were sold off to buy the next thing. its exhausting. i wish a took a pic of my stack every 6 months for the last couple years cos it would just look like different peoples stacks. i had 20x20oz PM bars once, i dont remember when or why or what i sold them for. but i miss them :(

7. pi

pi Active Member Silver Stacker

I'm sticking with kilo bars.
    Can't understand the love for round 50's, never bought a single one. I just can't bring myself to pay premiums for coins that aren't even 999.

8. serial

serial Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Anything and everything, if its silver chances are I own it
    from 17th century Russian cutlery sets to shiels crap silver jewellery chains, 9th century jitals to 2014 silver proof $1 coins if its a PM I will stack it
    I really don't understand the obsession with 999
    silver is silver, you just have to get it for the right price

9. Nabullion Dynamite

Nabullion Dynamite Active Member

I stack it all, I guess it depends on how organized you feel like being. I have junk silver, poured loafs, 5oz rounds,10z rounds, 1oz bars, ASEs 10oz bars and a 100oz bar :lol: Trying to stack or organize it in anyways fails. I do prefere the 10oz bars now though, nice size and easy to stack

10. chrissilver

chrissilver Member Silver Stacker

I've started collecting 100g miniature cast bars. Also buying some 1oz XAG cast bars for the novelty, I bet they are ridiculously small in real life.

First I want to collect these:

10x 100g Metalor cast bars
    10x 100g scottsdale cast bars
    10x 100g capella UK cast bars
    10x 100g geiger minted bars

The premiums on the 100g bars are quite high, but they bars look really awesome IMH. I also have the unlucky fact of having to pay 20% VAT in the UK on bars. OWCH.

After I have colelcted those 100g bars, and providing no other interesting 100g bars spring up. I will start a collection of 10oz cast bars. I prefer cast bars to minted, though the machines 10oz scottsdale stackers and the lady fortuna bars are very beautiful. I think 10oz is a very nice size, premiums are good. Nice size to trade. I have had my eyes on a Perth Mint 10oz for a while, so after the 100g bars have been collected I will start with one of those. I also collect coins, but right now I am a bit bored of them, and wanting some bars.

11. Fusion555

Fusion555 New Member

I have a few 10 oz bars but mostly i have 1oz bars/rounds, i tend to buy whats closest to spot but with just a little collectibility, for example engelhard and such,

Just last week i bought my first gold, only a 1/10oz Roo but its a start.

12. Ag 47 Silver

Ag 47 Silver New Member

Bought some Sunshine Mint 10oz bars. They were each individually wrapped. Is that normal for Sunshine Mint?

I only ask because I have a few OPM and a few NTR bars and they came in rows of three. Just curious.

13. ego2spare

ego2spare Well-Known Member

yes its normal. u wanted your 10oz bars in rows of three?

14. billbob78

billbob78 New Member

1KG Pamp Silver bars for me, and been licking up a few ABC 10oz Silver bars at spot, and 1 oz Maples...
    Also been on the gold side, got a good connection from the local pawn shop, with legit sellers - so been getting a few 1/10 Gold Maples, and 1/10oz Perth Mint Gold Lunars. Oh and about 21 Perth mint 1gr sealed gold bars all for spot when gold was around 41 AUD/gr... SO I go for the low sizes when I can get for (close-too) spot, other wise I go for larger sizes...

Been picking up a few proof's here and there lately, but mainly just for something extra.... turning the investments into a bit of a hobby I guess...

15. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Well would you look at that, you beat the ASX All Ord's by about 6%. Lucky you didn't buy stocks or silver instead :)

16. billbob78

billbob78 New Member

Even maneged to pick up a 1/20 Panda for spot price... Although I think I paid around $65 for it... I think it is a 2007... Cant remember... Was not too sure about the lefit of it, so had it XRF;d and turned out to be all good.... a bit of a relief...

17. REDBACK

REDBACK Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Silver- its all the same,trends come and go.

REDBACK

18. Revils

Revils Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I like the size of the PM 20oz, only have a couple though. I have a bit of everything, though the only non .99 silver I have are round 50s. My 'core' is in 10oz but on reflection there are a lot of random things too. I was going to get my 1st 100oz PM bar when spot fell under $20AUD - only just missed out!

I'm slowly getting more interested in gold, in particular sovereigns, but am fearful it will be an expensive trip down the rabbit hole.

19. Audeamus

Audeamus Member

10oz bars all the way.... Good luck keeping it up though, you will stray!

20. Andyt

Andyt New Member

Have a few 10oz bars, a few 10oz coins ... Pretty much anything that comes in 10oz for now.
    Saving up for that 45 bar Geiger box set . . . Salivate ;)