10 Kilo Lunar Horse Question

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by barsenault, Aug 31, 2014.

1. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

Has anyone ever purchased one of these? The premium seems quite high. I'm going to be getting a bonus, and I'm awfully tempted, BUT 2 reasons prevent me from buying, 1. High premium. 2. Resale. Has anyone in this community bought one? You like it? Why did you buy it.

2. SpacePete

SpacePete Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I've wanted one all year. I've never seen one for resale. And I doubt you'd get anywhere near the original purchase price if you had to sell. IMO, the premium is far too high to justify the purchase for regular stackers.

And welcome to the 10 kilo wishful owners club :)

EDIT!! There's a 10 kilo tiger on eBay, US $13,500.00 and its advertised as UNCIRCULATED! :lol:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2010-Austra...0306914?pt=US_World_Coins&hash=item4d23097fe2

3. barsenault

:/
    Yeah, I figured that is a one in a life-time purchase, to see what it would be like to hold such a fine specimen. APMEX has them for sale for 10,772.00 and that is a high premium. I think 32.00 an ounce. That premium would never be recouped, IMHO, and I think it would be tough to sell on eBay (???), probably have to sell it back to APMEX if one chooses to cash it in 15/20 years down the road as a retirement gift. LOL. I'll have the funds, but it is just a matter of whether I want to 'waste' my money on this, to show and tell (especially for my kids, they'll love it!!). :))

4. SpacePete

See above, found a 10 kilo tiger on eBay just now. But will it sell at the asking price?

5. barsenault

man, I bet it will. That is a hefty chunk of change for a coin 42.00 an ounce. No way. Too high for my blood. The horse coin is steep enough for me at about 32.00 an ounce. LOL. And as mentioned, if I buy that sucker, I would expect a loss, but it would be neat to have. :)))

What I'm hoping for is, my 6 superman gold coins to appreciate in value like the 1st one did, then I'll be able to keep 2, and sell 4 and buy one of those bad boys. :) Not holding my breath, as I don't think it will be as popular, but here's to hoping.

P.S. As a side note, maybe you reach out to Panda America directly and help them save 10% on fees, and the price is around 12,000'ish. :)

6. Altima

Altima Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Meh. I've seen the 10kilos up close and they're not that nice in that size. Why don't you treat yourself to a 1000oz kilo silver bar or something. :p

7. barsenault

Actually, Altima, if you've seen it up close, and it's not that nice, then I'll take your word for it. I have many 1 kilo coins now, and I absolutely love them. 10 kilos sounds over kill...so thanks for killing the desire. hehehe. Oh, and I'll pass on the 1000 oz bar...I like pretty. :)))

8. andrewlee10

andrewlee10 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I have all kg PM lunar. They are great.

10 kg did sell at panda America Singapore,bullionstar and few local seller.

No buyer till today as informed by them.

However, my friend sold a horse to a rich target who pay sgd18888 which is much expansive than the above dealers. Luck and knowing the right buyer are one of the key factor. Personally I do not like the 10 kg which the reflection of the mirror silver is terrible and super high premium which not easy to get buyer.

9. Revils

Revils Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I'd rather 10 different kilo coins. Cheaper and easier to resell and if you do want to sell you don't have to sell the lot. I've only got the kilo dragon but I think it's great- even if I did over pay.

10. barsenault

I think I'll be satisfied to just see a 10 kilo coin. But you are right, I'd rather put the 11k into 11 different kilos...I already have 10 of the horse kilos. I like those bad boys. I'm not crazy about the goats. Might buy one for kicks, and since the premium is lower.

11. DanielM

DanielM Active Member Silver Stacker

Why is the premium so high? Think about all the work that has to go into making these limited number of amazing coins

12. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

i think not much more than a 1 ounce blank >press >finished with the system they use i think a machine can make the die any size from the same original pattern ...i could be wrong but if you watch them make a die the machine copies it from a larger pattern automatically i would imagine it would just be a matter of setting a particular size then press go .

13. SpacePete

Watching the video of the making of the coin, and thinking of all the other manual work that would be involved (I wonder if anyone at PM has ever dropped one?) it's understandable that they have a high premium. But given that they are $10k+ and that most of us are somewhat constrained in our discretionary spending :( then the premium is a bit painful from a personal perspective. Trust me, I tried all year to justify the purchase of one to myself :) I did not succeed. And I did not win the Powerball either :( so no 10 kilo horse for me.

Now....

If I was a Saudi prince or something like that, I'd buy 21 of them. Why 21? I'd use 20 so I could create a giant roll of them after which you'd all tell me I was compensating for something, so then I'd take the 21st one out of its capsule and roll it down the street just to piss everyone off.. hahaha :p Sorry!

14. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I spent a year trying to rationalise that I needed a 10kg Dragon to go with my Year of the Dragon set but even I couldn't convince myself that it was good value for money. I figure that maybe I could convince my SMSF to pick one up but I don't see that happenning either.

I have a Kilo sized coin but I don't really look at it very often and I think you would need to get a couple of thousand dollars worth of satisfaction out of a 10kg coin so that it wouldn't feel so bad when you sell it for spot.

It would be fun to try and get it graded though, how big do they make the slabs?

15. andrewlee10

andrewlee10 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I have thought about the 10KG BUT very disappointed after seeing the real coin.

16. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

I've got a tube of the 10 kilo coins....

just the tube, not the coins! :)

17. Pirocco

Pirocco Well-Known Member

If I had the euro's to swap, I might consider a horse. There are only two lunar animals that I think have a bigger market: rabbit and horse. Because these animals have lotsa likeness for various reasons. These are animals popular among people. They would consider buying it just for the fun/likeness, unrelated to silver, numismatic, etc.

In 2011 I bought a 10 kilo rabbit, specific reason was that I liked a particular book that told the life of a bunch rabbits, each one symbolizing some human character. One of those 'music-evergreen' alike books.
    See, that's what I ment above.
    And todays price is dirt cheap compared to my may 2011, simply due to spot being $32 then.

18. AgAuNEWS

AgAuNEWS Member

Was it a torpedo tube????

Same here. Saw one in Berlin in February and imo the design doesn't stand up that well at that size. We're talking about something optimised for a 45mm disc being enlarged to cover almost 25 times the surface area.

As for buying one, what about a great value 5kg Noahs Ark as these go for much closer to spot and it leaves enough over for a lot of different 1kg Lunars?