10 kg perth mint coin

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by Blockhead, Apr 16, 2011.

1. unfunkable

unfunkable Active Member

whose getting a dragon 10kg :D

2. Goldmember

Goldmember Member

Only problem is it would break the coffee table :eek:

Seriously does anyone have the balls to admit they have a 10 Kilo coin? And if 1 Kilos(?) are called Hummers,what are 10 kilos and 10 ouncers called?

Ill start it...10 Kilo is called a "Frisbee" and 10 Oz bar is a "dogtag" or if youre an oldie...a "briquette"...lol

GM

3. overdraft3

overdraft3 New Member

Well paid 8,378 AUD for the tiger (351 ounces) now spotting ball park 13,000 over and some people are in effect saying the seller will have a hard time and by default that the Perth mint should have a hard time selling the many that they DO ALREADY SELL including the 1000 oz bars . Errmmm duh that logic is simply flawed and frankly does not add up now does it. I should have bought more! . Not everything in life is about fiat ebanezzering the guts out of the toothpaste tube tho I am happy doubling dollars in short spaces. To decry fiat and yet to religiously use it as the common denominator down to the last red cent is somewhat hypocritical. I cant wait until the 10 kilo dragon comes along . I really hope the detail esp in the tail remains there , thats epic . woo hoo!. What an absolute blessing it is for us to have the Perth Mint on our doorstep!. As they say " Happiness is not having what we want but rather wanting what we already have " . I payed a premium for beauty got arbitrage so surely that is no big deal . :)

4. Pirocco

Pirocco Well-Known Member

Couple weeks ago, at $34 silver price level, I ordered such a 10 kilo coin.
    My local dealer already received it but he waits for some other orders arrival before shipping it all together to me.
    Its cost was indeed 10% higher than 10 1 kilo coins.
    But I had already 250 kilo in the form of 1 ounce coins, so enough as pure investment.
    At the 2 recent silver price downward spikes I wanted, as a combination of investment and collectibles, all weight classes of this Lunar 2011 series. I like the rabbit-subject because it makes me think about a book that I liked much, Watership Down by Richard Adams.
    Of the 1kilo version I have 15.
    So I have a complete set now, and I will keep them as last when I'm forced to sell silver to pay the bills.

5. overdraft3

overdraft3 New Member

Crikey 250 kilo turn them into car wheel mags and do a runner . eff the bills lolz. BTW I just know your gonna enjoy that big rabbit.

6. Pirocco

It arrived today, looks okay but there's a quite big difference with the other weight classes: it has a flat edge. You couldn't see that on the video and pictures of the coin often showed face and back not side.
    I rather find it a shame. If I stack all weight classes on eachother then that big one clearly shows a difference. At 10% more cost they could have at least create the same side too.
    But ohwell, it's like this, can't do much more about it. At least not without going to some mechanic guy and lose some silver :p
    By the way, my coin is serienumbered 160 and since they only make it on order that means so far 160 made.

7. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

Pics or it didn't happen :p , but seriously a pic with a hummer or 1 oz would be sweet :)

8. Pirocco

This is my collection of these coins:
    A 5 ouncer should be on the way and 10 kilo coins are ordered so the family rabbits isn't complete yet.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I invested more in silver than in the camera so it's low resolution. :p

9. overdraft3

overdraft3 New Member

That is epic Pirocco . really awesome pics , love it !....BTFS buy the spread woo hoo. My 10 kg tiger is number 16 I think from memory . I have no idea how many of them have been made tho I was told that the mint was flat out at the time. I would have liked the serrated edge as well Pirocco but hey you know at that size who needs braille . Bron bless his heart helped me get it . :D. So did you manage to get the half kilo rabbits ? I was chasing them . Thank you for the pics.

10. radiobirdman

radiobirdman Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I think you are wankers wasting your time whith 1 oz stuff

11. overdraft3

overdraft3 New Member

radiobirdman in the 1000 oz club thread you reckon you got 10 ounces but n here you say 1 oz stuff is for wankers . May I respectfully seek to extrapolate from that then that you think either 2 ounceys (5 of ) or 5 ounceys (2 of) or a singular 10 ouncey done in increments is the only wise way to go ?. Having said that flippen coins is what I do, I admit im a tosser to . hahaha

12. overdraft3

overdraft3 New Member

Radiobirdman, Just joking buddy. Seriously tho I don't think there is any right or wrong hard and fast rule. Simply depends where one is coming from re: the pros and cons eh?. This old subjective chestnuts been hiffed about and labored over since Christ was a cowboy. Anyway at the end of the day we are all singing off the same song sheet and I guess that this common unique diverse silver tale is all said and done the very thing that unites us addicts.

13. Pirocco

Well, they invented serrated edges to make tampering with the weight easily recognizable on sight.
    Without such edge, one can remove silver from its edges surface unnoticed till one does weights it.
    So such 'shaped' edge is part of what a coin makes it a coin.
    About half kilo rabbits, I didn't know they existed?
    I have 1/2, 1, 2, 10, kilo, 10 kilo
    A 5 should be underway, but that could end up in a sad story, ebay suspended the account of the seller because a coin didn't arrive and paypal had to compensate the buyer.
    In the process, ebay deleted all existing items in offer, in progress, and as finished/sold, leaving me with no means for feedback/whatever).
    Before, after asking, since I had some payment problems related to banks and sellers country Cyprus known for money laundering, the seller told me it was sent out.
    It's far from here so delivery may take a month if not by air. It's now 3 weeks ago, so there is some hope left.
    If nothing arrived, I lost money (also due to a crap bank that charged me for what should be free (Intra-Eurozone banking should not charge costs, and Cyprus is member of this zone).
    And I have to look out again for a 5 oz to complete collection.
    About a half kilo, sure that exists in the Lunar 2011 series?
    Never saw those listed.

14. overdraft3

overdraft3 New Member

Pirocco. They are the same diameter as the 1 kilo in the lunar series but half the thickness . Scored a 1/2 kilo Tiger last year thanks to Aurora Et Luna for helping me complete the set there. I was around at Ben's home from Bullion Bourses scoring some other tigers one Sunday arvo when I too found out that the 1/2 kilo existed !. There was a period when the mint stopped briefly stamping out the larger Tigers. Kilos up I think it was . I have not got a clue as to what the tally ended up tho these mintage's are usually a lot less than the rest and "of late data" is slow forthcoming.

This round the Rabbits as far as I know sold out real quick. I drove to the Mint on a couple of occasions and made a few phone calls asking about the halves but could not confirm or get any definite dates regarding production runs and in the end I gave up. 1/2 kilos certainly do exist in the Luna's Pirocco and they are out there however I have no confirmation from anyone yet that the 1/2kilo lunar Rabbit run ever made it to the press tho I suspect they did. If you hear anything message me mate.

The Perth Mint has on its website a compiled list of the other years, series, weights and production figures for the Lunar's. The Tiger figs are yet to be released last I checked and I guess that this list update will transpire as the years roll by as an ongoing process.

This year I will try harder to keep my ear closer to the railroad tracks and or otherwise stay on pulse for the 1/2 kilo Dragons. Cheers. :D

15. overdraft3

overdraft3 New Member

16. Matthew 26:14

Matthew 26:14 New Member

My understanding is that the 1/2 kilo silver coins ended with the Tiger. The announcement that there would be no more 1/2 kilo coins was made last year.

17. overdraft3

overdraft3 New Member

Matthew , Thank you very much for the update clarifying the matter. Appreciate your response n will save me time and effort chasing my tail for the Dragons. I must have missed the announcement. I wonder why the ladies at the Mint did not say so and to come back November n what not . hmmmm. Well there you go Pirocco I dang near lead you on a wild goose chase for no good reason. Sorry about that.

18. Pirocco

At least I don't need to continue hunting for such 1/2 kilo coin now. I was about to check the moon, lol.