1 oz vs 1/2 oz Gold Roos

Discussion in 'Gold' started by Cimexus, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Cimexus

Cimexus Member

Hi all,

Being a relatively new stacker (just started a few months ago), I've got myself a good amount of silver, and so figure it's time to balance that out a bit with some gold. I've mostly gone for coins instead of bars (though will probably end up getting some bars eventually), particularly the limited mintage coins such as the Kooks (silver) and Lunars. The way I see it, they are basically the same price as unlimited mintage stuff like Koalas/ASEs/maples etc. so why not get the limited mintage ones with a better chance for (slight) numismatic appreciation?

Moving to gold now, I'm wondering if the same thing applies. Specifically, if I were looking to buy an ounce of gold at the moment, which do you think would be the best option?

- 1 oz Roo
    - 2x 1/2 oz Roo
    - 1/2 oz Roo + 1/2 Oz Dragon

(didn't include the 1 oz Dragon option because they appear to be sold out now and attracting a bit too much premium)

Initially I thought "well, I pay less premium for a 1 oz coin compared to two 1/2 oz coins, so I should just get a 1 oz". But I noticed that the mintage limit on the 1/2 oz Roo (100k) is significantly less than the 1 oz Roo (350k). So I was starting to think the more limited mintage might make it slightly more attractive over the long term (or, it could just be that the market for 1/2 oz isn't that great, so they have a lower mintage limit!)

Advice? Thoughts?

(PS. I realise this should probably have gone in the Gold Coins subforum rather than Gold ... admin please move thread if needed!)

2. hiho

hiho Active Member Silver Stacker

IMO fractional gold is your best bet, I particularly go for 1/4 and 1/10 oz in all varieties. I think the smaller denominations attract a larger sales audience and they tend to hold their premiums quite healthily. I have seen 1/2 oz coins here sell very quickly also so if I was you I would maybe get a roo and a dragon for a bit of diversity

3. Captain Kookaburra

Captain Kookaburra Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

1/2 oz is harder to move than 1o coins by far.

If you're going fractional 1/10 is a good size.

Have a few 1/2 ounce roos and rabbits available at the moment.

Just sold a whole bunch of 1/20 Dragons in another thread for a real bargain price.

4. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Far prefer 1/4oz to 1/2oz coins. I stack 1/10, 1/4, 1oz.

5. Water&Food

Water&Food New Member

1/10 ozt is best*.

* When taking into consideration Zombie Apocalypse.

6. DanDee

DanDee Active Member Silver Stacker

but the 1oz feels sooo good...

7. Naphthalene Man

Naphthalene Man Active Member Silver Stacker

I agree, 1oz does feel the best.
    For me i'd go the 1/4 and 1/2 oz over the 1/10oz as the smaller coins, while being easy to sell (which i suppose is the intention), are just so damn small.
    I don't think you would have a big issue selling the 1/4oz.

8. euphoria

euphoria New Member

I like 1oz and up.
    I do not think there would be problems moving a kg of gold when needed.
    Fractional gold i like the $200 gold coins.

9. hem9

hem9 Active Member Silver Stacker

I actually think the 1/2oz is the best mix between price/premium. Using gold stacker pricing as an example a 2012 kangaroo $1690.67 per oz = 6.691%; a 2012 1/2oz dragon = 867.84 = 1735.68 per oz = 9.53% (also note that lunar dragon is supposed to have a higher premium than kangaroo); a 2012 1/4oz dragon = 471.42 = 1885.68 per oz = 18.99%. As the smaller coins have a larger premium due to their higher liquidity, in my opinion the 1/2oz strikes the best balance of being a fractional and having a relatively lower premium increase.

10. heike1a2b3c

heike1a2b3c New Member

Hi Cimexus, you are the first other Canberran that I have come across this thread. Great to finally see someone else from Canberra here. Eventually, we could have a meeting here then.

I also first stacked up on silver and have been getting some gold lately. I definitely, have been getting into the 1/10 and 1/4. I got 1/2 at a good price, but won't get any more at that size. I like smaller 99.99% pure coins or even the Valcambi 50g gold bars, which can be split up later.

11. puddleduck

puddleduck Member Silver Stacker

I've had no problems shifting any 1oz bars or coins, but I have had sales where I couldn't move the 1/4oz's. Not for lack of good pricing either, there just doesn't seem to be as great a market as the ouncers. my 2c.

12. Syd888

Syd888 New Member

I agree with that. Also, I find selling larger quantities to be actually easier because you target different category of buyers. People who buy bullions of 10oz and up won't bargain about $10 or $20, but rather close the deal more quickly if they're interested.

13. Haggai 2:8

Haggai 2:8 Member

I've always been hopeless with division, so I stick with the 1oz's since gold is priced in ounces.

Cimexus, as you can see from the variety of responses - just go with your gut and personal preference.

14. Cimexus

Cimexus Member

Haha thanks for all the feedback everyone. As you say I see a range of responses here. My initial feeling was that, although I know the small fractionals (1/20, 1/10 and even 1/4 to an extent) are easier to move, they are just so small that it wouldn't even feel like holding a valuable coin. Which is why I was initially thinking of going 1 oz only.

But I think I've changed my mind and will go with 1/2 oz, or maybe even one 1/2 oz and two 1/4 oz. That way I can get two or three different designs, still in a coin big enough to 'feel'. Don't think I'll ever be interested in the 1/10th or smaller ... just too tiny. I like to look at the coin and see the detail a bit :)

The 1/2 oz may not be anywhere near as liquid as the smaller (or according to some, the larger) coins but I still don't think I'd have too many problems selling. Gold is gold after all. I don't really see a point at which I'd be wanting to sell them ultra-fast anyway. Intend to hold for a long time.

Thanks all!

15. PrettyPrettyShinyShiny

PrettyPrettyShinyShiny Well-Known Member

It's funny how you can fall in love with even the small coins, though. I came across a 1987 1/10th oz Aussie Nugget (no Nugg.. it wasn't 1/10th of you)... It really grew on me. It was the year my little sister was born so it sort of had a special place in my heart.

I'v been getting some awesome buys lately.. I love the worn gold tho.. nicked bars and coins from years gone by.. that 5 gram abc bar is the shiz!! When you can get the gold on your skin, is when you get to feel that warm golden feeling ;)

If anyone is looking to get an awesome coin - I reakon the 20 Franc roosters Aurora et Luna has on his specials page would still be up for grabs. He does really good prices too.

16. Dabloodymess

Dabloodymess Active Member

Yeah I have a few of the rooster francs, and also some of the swiss ones as well... both great coins.

Also, the 1 Ducats have to be one of my favourite coins.

17. lamp

lamp New Member

I collect 1/4, 1/2 and 1oz, I don't mind getting even higher oz if I can afford. My thinking is...as my holding is for long term and SS members will not be my core future target buyers. My bet for the future is that gold will go much higher, so by then, I will proabaly sell to the dealers either local or HK, will probably still make a decent profit even selling at spot or slightly below spot price :)