1 oz libertads vs 10 oz Kookaburra & Lunar horses

Discussion in 'Silver' started by chrissilver, Mar 8, 2014.

1. chrissilver

chrissilver Member Silver Stacker

What would you buy given the option,

I will be putting the 1 oz libertads (if I buy) in tubes which ends up making the cost per ounce pretty much the same cost per ounce as Perth Mint 10oz Kookaburras or 10oz Lunar Horses.

Given the fact the cost is basically the same. what would you buy and why, and more importantly what do you think would have a higher resale price per once in the future?

2. Photonaware

Photonaware Active Member

Depending on your stack size already and your intentions to sell later, I don't really believe it makes any difference.
    If however, you plan to sell e.g. on eBay then you can always make a small margin on shipping costs so the 1 oz coins win if selling individually but there is always the time and effort to consider. If you already have a good stack of 1 oz coins and don't have anything larger then the 10 oz coin is nice to show off or perhaps keep for the longer term until prices go up ( if they ever do ? )

3. Pirocco

Pirocco Well-Known Member

My personal opinion is that of these coins, the 10oz horses will 'achieve' the highest resale price. Because I see more people liking horse designs, and a bigger coin also adds to the attraction. I could be generalizing the limited scope I have though, it's not like that I frequent alot selling places.
    Maybe you should visit some more local selling places to you, check the auctions and the interest for them for lunar horses. I would be willing to pay more for a lunar horse than a koala, but thats just me.

4. chrissilver

Yea my personal opinion is that the 10oz coins might be worth more in the future because people might be collecting the different designs of each year. But then again maybe there will be some who collect old year libertads? lol

5. chrissilver

Saying that though, I still think a few libertads are needed.

6. klacey

klacey New Member

the lunar horse is quite expensive right now and will not do well I feel until the next lunar release or even the following year. The horse did well when they first came out, but interest has died. I would say right now isn't good for a nice turnover, but could do well in a year or 2.

7. Pirocco

Some people collect certain animals not the lunar series as such.
    I'm 1 example. I like rabbits and horses and eagles, the rest says little to nothing to me. But I avoid the denominations with high premium (all but 1 kilo), with the exception of the 2011 lunar rabbit, that I bought all denominations, being my most expensive chunk silver, after a few old numismatics.
    I also collect leather horses, although I now lack the space to buy more of them heh.

8. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

All things being equal for you (in terms of shipping and storage costs) I would diversify. In other words, if I had little to no Libertads, I'd go for the Libertads. Visa versa with Lunar series horse if you had little to none.

Personally, I see myself as both a coin collector and a stacker, leaning a little more toward collector. Therefore I enjoy interesting or unusual coins and medallions more than plain tired old blocks or blobs. :) For that reason I am drawn toward larger coins and so the 10 oz horse interests me in that respect.

I do think there's good reason to ask the question you have in spite of the fact that I have come across many stackers who don't give such a question any real though and just blurt out something like. "silver is silver, just buy whatever has the lowest premium". Personally, I have asked myself similar questions to yours.

To answer that, I try to get a handle on some of the trends that may be developing today. Like, is interest in Libertads or Lunar S2 series getting more attention in the usual places such as coin and stacker forums, amongst friends who buy precious metals and coins, in the media, on auction sites, etc, etc.

For me, the stacker who motivated me to get into stacking is becoming a big fan of Libertads....but he's in the US and maybe that makes a big enough difference for him.

Anyway, good luck on your decision and let us know which way you went.

9. SilverKendo

SilverKendo New Member

Since I stack for the future and not for numismatic purposes I like 1 oz coins. Easy to recognize and easy to move. If I ever need to sell part of my stack (I hope that never happens) I would like it to be liquid and easily divisible. That way I don't have to sell more oz than I need to at a time. YMMV.

I understand with semi-numi coins you can really turn a quick profit though and that is a good way to grow the stack so that could be a good angle on it. If that is what you want to do then yeah I bet those big boys would net you some good profit fast to get more silver. It looks like the privy mark and Lunar coins are very good for that.

10. silverstar1

silverstar1 New Member

definitely in the long run the 10 oz horse, but also agree with diversifying, in fact I think thats a key in successful investing in pms . But careful what you diversify in!

11. chrissilver

In the end I ended up buying 1kg 2014 lunar horse and a roll of 2014 kookaburras. So the libertads will have to wait for another day.

12. rastatodd

rastatodd New Member

Libertads seem to sell with relative ease on eBay as well as other precious metal forums I belong to. With the 1 ounce size it makes it easy for the average "Joe" to gather Libertads whether they are speculators or collectors, were as the bigger the bar/round the number of acquirers reduce in number because of the bigger outlay of capital. With that being said I tend to lean towards calling myself a prospector so I side with the Mexico offering. IMHO.

13. Pirocco

If the libertad day arrives, go for a kilo coin instead of the tube 1oz, they have a larger diameter and a matte 'prooflike' finish, and together with the winged victoria angel design, gives a result way more impressive than the 1oz. I chosed them in 2011 and I never regretted the choice, I only bought 1oz tubes last year because the kilocoins were nowhere available.
    And there is not that much difference tube/kilocoin, 2 tubes is already more than a kilocoin, and alot dealers only sell in units of tubes or bigger, so it's not like that most people lack funds to acquire that...ehm... big.. amount silver. I buy what I like, and assuming that I'm not an alien with special preferences, there should be many out there liking the same. :D

14. chrissilver

I thought the 1kg libertads had a ridiculious premium. If some ever arrived in the EU and they were being sold for as low as some other silver then I would definitely get one. kilo coins are nice. Do the libertad kilos come in a capsule like the Perth Mint kilos?

15. Pirocco

The libertad kilocoins I bought end 2011 and the few in 2012 (also 2011 ones, I seem to have bought 2,6% of their entire mintage on my own lol) are all the same price as other common kilocoins. Although that 2011 price was 30% more than todays price so 'common' then wasn't cheap after all. I can't say if this changed since, because they are nowhere to find anymore here. Never came across 2012 2013 2014 versions. And yes, they come in a capsule, all kilocoins do (as far as I know, at least in my region)

It's possible that you confuse the 'luxe' wooden-boxed Proof version with Prooflike version. The former has indeed an outrageous premium, I once saw a picture on a dealer site but he didn't have them actually for sale, only the Prooflike (which is the common) version.

16. mmissinglink

I've seen a Libertad kilo for sale. The Libertad kilos come in a plastic capsule and a magnificent wood display box. They are very low mintage and they look astonishing. What many people may not know is that the 2013 kilo is the lowest mintage kilo Libertad of the entire series. So, if you can find one, buy it...the future premiums on the 2013 kilo will probably be very impressive as key date coins always tend to be.

17. chrissilver

Might have to look into getting a libertad kilo then, though finding one within EU might be hard. Maybe easier to import one from US or AUS and risk a possible 20% import VAT charge.

18. Pirocco

If you were in my country I'd swap one for a lunar horse, since I have alot libertads anyway, but it's not the case.

19. mmissinglink

That VAT does screw up things for Brit stackers. I hope the US doesn't impose anything like that on its citizens.

Pirocco is smart and sitting on a nice treasure trove because he bought some kilo Libertads. Next time I come into $1,500 that is clear to spend, I am going to plant it into a kilo Libertad. I probably won't get lucky enough to find a 2013 at a good price but maybe the 2014 will see very low mintage as well.

20. Pirocco

[​IMG]
    25 libertads and 25 maples :D