1 oz gold lunar which one

Discussion in 'Lunar Forum' started by Chillidog, Sep 6, 2012.

1. Chillidog

Chillidog New Member Silver Stacker

I want to buy a 1 oz gold lunar S2, I have dragons and snakes

So which one next?
    Rabbit
    Mouse
    Tiger
    Oxen

I'm thinking the ox as I can't seem to find a tiger.
    Which ones are harder to find, given they have all a 30000 mintage.

Vote now:p

2. hiho

hiho Active Member Silver Stacker

3. Vredaren

Vredaren Member

Personally S 1 Tiger is absolutely stunning

4. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Whatever came along next! Sometimes site sponsors have older coins for sale.

5. cowwws

cowwws Member

I've been on the S2 Tiger hunt for a while... buggered if I can find one :(

6. Slam

Slam Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Interesting point Bullion Baron.

But it seems to me, Series 2 1oz lunars doesn't matter which type sell out yearly. There is more of a demand for Series II compared to series 1. Maybe because it starts with year of the Rat and is considered a complete set.

I have all the series II, I do admire their design.

To the OP, Tigers are hard to find and will be harder as time goes buy (I don't think the mint has released a coin with just the face of the animal). If you had the money, get a mouse/rat. They are first in the series and probably the hardest to get. I had to pay a small premium to get it. But now I am complete with duplicates.

As the years go by its going to be harder to buy the 1oz gold lunars, simply because more people will want them. Its a good time to trade up from your earlier years.

I didn't expect the rabbit to sell out fast in 2011. It ended up selling out and no where near to be found, without paying some small premium over the usual.

30,000 mintage isn't massive by any means. But I would rather pay the extra $80 over a certicard for a coin that is limited. Its the same price as a kangaroo for current year. Its a no brainer to get the lunar over a roo if your after a coin.

Slam

Slam

7. Lunardragon

Lunardragon Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

i know bullionmoney got the 1oz rat and the ox.

8. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

goldstackers has one or more for sale:

http://www.goldstackers.com.au/store/perth-mint-1oz-gold-lunar-tiger-1998.html

I have some but I will not be in Australia any time soon and the postage/insurance would be too much for a gold coin.

BB, I remember some auctions around February and I think Hiho sold a S1 tiger and horse for about spot + $240-250 each. Yet, within the last month, I believe someone was having trouble selling a S1 horse at a decent premium. Interest in the old lunars may cycle up and down. Unless I was desperate for cash, there is no way I would sell my S1 horse coins for $100-150 premium. I just hope the 2014 horse coins are as good as the 2002 designs.

Chillidog, I would get the coin with the best value compared to what the coin would normally sell for. Within the last year, I have purchased some S2 tigers and one S2 ox for spot + $100each. And I may be about to get 1 or 2 S2 rabbits for the same premium. I am not trying for a complete set, so I buy based upon relative value and a $100 premium is my normal limit for an S2 1oz gold coin. The number of each S2 coin that I have seen in the last year is Mouse - -0-, Ox - 1, Tiger - 10, Rabbit - 100, Dragon & Snakes - a bunch.

9. Lunardragon

Lunardragon Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

<quote>BB, I remember some auctions around February and I think Hiho sold a S1 tiger and horse for about spot + $240-250 each. Yet, within the last month, I believe someone was having trouble selling a S1 horse at a decent premium. Interest in the old lunars may cycle up and down. Unless I was desperate for cash, there is no way I would sell my S1 horse coins for $100-150 premium</quote>

I remembered this :)
    The auction for individual S1 gold coins was impressive, imo.

May I say that now stackers are chasing value than numis i.e. getting S2 gold coins than S1?

10. cowwws

cowwws Member

Yeah it's a series 1 coin at GS though and if I started buying series 1 coins then I would have to buy them all to satisfy my OCD (obsessive collecting disorder)... and frankly I am running out of children to sell to fund my disorder as it is... :lol:

11. null

null Member

I think kidneys are overrated, have you given that a thought?:lol:

12. ninteno

ninteno Member