1 oz. bars vs. 10 oz....liquidity

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Inlikeflynn, Dec 30, 2014.

1. Inlikeflynn

Inlikeflynn New Member

Kinda new to the silver world, still acquiring various bars. I havent sold any yet, and plan on just holding onto what i have and continue to build on it. Just wondering from people who have sold their bars; is it easier to move 1 0unce or 10 ounce bars? And where is the best place to sell them to? I started with one ouncers, but i like the feel (and price) of the 10 ounce bars better, so i switched to buying them lately. I don't have a lot stacked yet, so i was looking to the future before i start buying more.
    thanks

2. a1nipper

a1nipper New Member

Both bar sizes are very liquid and sell well. LCS or ebay to sell or here

3. nbboy1123

nbboy1123 New Member

I like both, but prefer the 10 oz bars. Almost any coin shop will buy 10 or 1 oz bars no problem. The big difference is premiums. 10 oz tends to be almost a buck less in premium per ounce than a 1 oz bar, in my travels. I've also seen so far in the past few years that those premiums tend to follow the bar over time. But that may not always be the case. So you end up with less silver and a secondary risk buying those smaller bars. You also may want to factor in why you are buying silver. If you want an emergency stack of money a mix of 1, 5, & 10 bars will supply you an easy way to sell just enough to cover your emergency needs. Try dragging in 50 1 oz bars that jangle like crazy in your pockets, or 5 10 oz bars....you get the picture. :)

4. Gatito Bandito

Gatito Bandito Active Member

Not sure how popular 1-oz bars are, judging by what's available out there, especially when compared to 10-oz.

I'll pick up a couple 1-oz'ers here & there if I like them enough, but they're definitely under-represented for my collection, anyway.

Would rather have a nice 10-oz than ten nice 1-oz'ers.

I don't think I'm alone in that.

5. chowdersilver

chowdersilver New Member

Another consideration is the odd sized poured bars, many from companies no longer in business. These are my favorites and the only thing I am collecting right now.

Like everything, there are pros and cons to these as well. My guess is these are less recognized and possibly some people wouldn't want them. The upside is they have a lot of history, you don't have to worry about spots, and often sell for a premium. I only buy these from our LCS and sometimes I have to wait a couple of months just for a 5.24 ounce loaf.

6. Golightly

Golightly Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Good to ha've some 1 oz but i think 10oz is best way to up your stack cheaper... Or hold out fo KGs. They sell well to.
    Liquidity isn't a problem unless it's a boxed proof set or something..

7. boston

boston Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Apart from the sales forum here, probably the best place that a few here have found to sell is Goldstackers. They are in Collins St Melbourne.

Not a plug, but they are a sponsor here.

8. OgNasty

OgNasty New Member

Liquidity is usually not the problem with silver. It's pretty easy to sell in places like these forums usually. The trick is finding a community with a reputable escrow system and an easy online payment method. Bitcoin is my method of choice. That being said, it's hard to beat 100oz Royal Canadian Mint bars. Something about the extra 9 that makes it hard for me to collect anything else.

9. Nabullion Dynamite

Nabullion Dynamite Active Member

Shouldn't have a problem with 1 oz or 10oz bars especially if the price stays around the same. I wouldn't go much higher since they may be harder to unload later if you trying to sell 100oz bars during a price spike :p Safest places to sell are on reputable forums like here and you have a higher chance of getting a fair price on them. Next you can use you LCS or use online shops buy backs. I would not recommend Ebay unless your just selling the odd ball coin here and there.

10. phrenzy

phrenzy In Memoriam - July 2017 Silver Stacker

Unless there is a wild price spike I think you will actually likely find it easier to move the 10oz. Certainly you could sell the 1oz but getting your premium back will be harder vs the 10oz. If you want cash quick and go to a dealer your likely to get the same or nearly the same for 10 x 1oz or 1 x 10oz and I know which is cheaper to buy. You might get some more back if you sell privately but then you possibly have to deal with 10 individual sales and wait for someone who wants them at your price.

Don't want to get too down on rounds and coins, I certainly have some but they shouldn't form the core of your stack or you might find premiums eat a lot of your money.

11. SilverDJ

SilverDJ Well-Known Member

I think you'd be a bit foolish to sell 1 x 1oz individually, sell at least in lots of 10 x 1oz, it's just not worth the hassle. And time ultimately is money, and sanity.