$1 coin range. Only at Australia Post.

Discussion in 'Numismatics' started by JulieW, Oct 7, 2019.

1. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Interesting collection of designs and even more interesting commentary.
    (and a bit of a stretch for "Z".)

The Mint and Australia Post release $1 coins to celebrate meat pies, Weet-Bix and all things Aussie

[​IMG]Australia Post and the Royal Australian Mint have started releasing millions of $1 coins featuring classic Australian themes. Picture: Daniel Pockett/Getty Images
    MONEY
    Reading level: Green
    The Great Aussie Coin Hunt is on across Australia after the biggest minting* and release of $1 coins since they were first created in 1984.

Australia Post and the Royal Australian Mint have started releasing millions of $1 coins featuring classic Australian themes such as the meat pie, quokka*, the boomerang and cricket.

There will be a different design for each letter of the alphabet with the first six available now starting with designs for the letters A, F, I, M, S and X.

A will feature Australia Post, F for footy, I for Iced VoVo*, M for meat pie, S for surf life saving and X for the tiny township of Xantippe.

New coins will then be released every Monday until October 21, culminating in Z for the summer ice-cold favourite, the Zooper Dooper*.

[​IMG]New iconic Australian coins collection
    But there’s a catch.

The only way to get your hands on the iconic coins will be to make a purchase at an Australia Post store and receive the limited edition $1 coins in the change.

“We want everyone to get involved,” Australia Post consumer and community executive general manager Nicole Sheffield said.

“Not only will it be really exciting to hunt for all the coins and build an amazing collection, but each and every coin opens up the opportunity for wonderful conversations about quintessential* Australian life.”

Other coins will show off Australia’s unique culture from our favourite foods, the didgeridoo, football, the kangaroo and the Hills Hoist clothesline, which was invented in Australia.

The Royal Australian Mint’s acting chief executive Colin Dedourek said he hoped the hunt would encourage people to start coin collecting.

“The way people use cash is changing — there is a huge trend towards cashless* transactions*,” Mr Dedourek said. “We are trying to get the Australian people to re-imagine the value of coins and coin collecting.”
    https://www.kidsnews.com.au/money/t...e/news-story/6e0ed8781fdd1391681b06258e6fce02

Number 47 likes this.
  2. stackmans

stackmans Active Member

I find this whole game a waste of time. I like to collect circulated Aussie coins and I like to fill my album of $1 but I’m not fussed with these ones. 26 coins is too many to collect in a short period of time, specially when it’s only in change from a place where I rarely if ever buy anything from. Would have been better off at Coles, Maccas or Caltex or something. I’ll still keep an eye out for them in my change.

3. ParanoidAndroid

ParanoidAndroid Well-Known Member

Grabbed a perfect $2 2019 coloured Wallabies coin last night. Didn't know they were a thing, but I added it to my collection of colored $2's

4. Tin Can

Tin Can Active Member

Now that the Great Aussie Coin Hunt from Australia Post has ended, coin dealers are selling these coins. I notice the special "A" envelope privy mark $1 coin is selling for more than $100.
    I think only 7,500 of these were minted, but this is a lot of money for a modern circulating coin.