1/2 OZ Panda Prices?

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by 940palmtx, Aug 29, 2011.

1. 940palmtx

940palmtx New Member

Could y'all tell me why prices for the Silver 1/2 ozs are so high, especially graded coins?
    I know there's always a premium for fractionals but at the prices I'm seeing it makes me think maybe they have an extremely low mintage. Thanks in advance

2. yennus

yennus Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

That's a really good question. I don't know the definitive answer to that, but I think you're on the right track regarding the mintage.

Panda Collector will probably have the best explanation.

I would be collecting 1/2oz fractionals if I could afford it. Instead, at the moment, my attention is mainly focused on getting as many 1/4, 1/10 and 1/20oz fractionals that I can afford.

3. 940palmtx

940palmtx New Member

Gold? I was talking Silver. But I have noticed fractional Gold Pandas can be had for no or at least not much more than other Gold fractionals, non-graded that is, which IMHO is a great deal. The only Gold Panda I have is a 1/10 2008 MS-69.
    I'm curious, do you recommend graded or non? I've only have 3 Pandas, all graded, just because of all the fakes I hear about.
    I feel like 1/10 & 1/4 offer pretty good value as the 1/20s are quite a bit over spot. But they are affordable, me personally am sticking to collecting 1/10 Golds as they are affordable for my budget.
    Thanks for your input, preciate ya

4. yennus

yennus Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

You're absolutely right regarding the gold fractionals. In my opinion, the Panda gold fractionals are way undervalued, and with people snapping up the remaining 1oz Pandas, it's only a matter of time before fractional gold Pandas go sky high like their silver brothers.