Do you try and educate people on stacking

Discussion in 'Silver' started by platinumpig, Jul 22, 2016.

1. wrcmad

wrcmad Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Turtle YES!
    Unless you are a subservient numpty.

2. Gullintanni

Gullintanni Well-Known Member

Id say the British pound has had a few ups and downs over the last 1200 odd years and will come out the other end fine.
    Wouldn't you say?

3. Ag bullet

Ag bullet Well-Known Member

pounds sterling or pounds of sterling?

4. Ag bullet

Ag bullet Well-Known Member

i negative gear mine.

5. BuggedOut

BuggedOut Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

All those things you mention are part of the package. They are ALL related to each other and worth trying to educate people about (if their mind is open to being educated).

6. wrcmad

wrcmad Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Ouch.

7. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

Is a physical precious metals (PPM) buyer who cashes out much, most, or all of her/his PPM stack when she/he believes the top of the PM bull market is in still considered a stacker? Or something else? It seems some folks here would consider such a person not a stacker...more a speculator or investor.

What if she/he then begins buying and holding for another cycle PPM's when she/he believes the bottom of the bear market in PM's is in? Still not a stacker? Definitely a speculator?

I've come across stackers who appear to believe that only someone who buys and stores PPM's for the big SHTF scenario are "true" stackers.

Personally, my definition of "stacker" is not strict. Anyone who buys and holds PPM's for any length of time and for any purpose is a stacker.

What's your take?

8. Pirocco

Pirocco Well-Known Member

A stacker stacks a stack.
    Just already ceasing to add, suffices to not be a stacker anymore.
    Which is clearly not the general thought in pm places.
    So I would name a stacker as someone that does the same with silver as with dollars on a bank account.
    When money left, save it (here silver instead of dollars).
    When money short, spend from savings.
    About that "big SHTF", that's just a margin / extreme scenario, which says nothing about the common / average scenario.
    Saving dollars also isn't done for an SHTF scenario, why would silver then have another goal?
    It's just saving.

Then, those that take part in as much buy/sell cycles as they can, I call these money for nothing clubbers. :lol:
    Those are the ones needing suckers to dump high to, and suckers to buy low from.
    I noticed that their mouth usually indicates the opposite of their hands. No surprise, they need a counterparty willing enough to move towards the sucker (read: loser) side.
    They also cause / reinforce, those cycles in the first place.

My definition of a stacker, is thus just saving in silver, and selling it just like fiat, when need arises.
    Of course, this is a kinda "luxe" definition. In order to meet these criteria, yet still preserve purchasing power, that stacker has to succeed in avoiding buying at a temp higher price, which is easier said than done. Because when that fails, the sole remaining chance to end on the green side, is taking part in buy/sell cycles.

So, I see a "true" hehehhee!) stacker as one that buys/sells silver the very same way as fiat.

9. platinumpig

platinumpig New Member

10. BenKenobi

BenKenobi Well-Known Member

I have a young friend whom I encourage to be involved and use PM's as part of her savings plan, she is young and in her 20's, I try to encourage her as I was that age and too easily do you piss your money away and spend on buying your friends drinks at the club, I do not want to see her at the age of 40 with no hope no savings and financially dependant and challenged as most gen y will be, unless you have wealthy parents. I did not, matter of fact my parents existed but never will I inherit anything for my future due to their poor decision making. This young girl is special, her Mum will be in Prison for the next 15 years and her father is not of the living. A few small words of advice and encouragement can go a long way to those who have some drive built from necessity and maturity above their years. There are some that do deserve helpful direction.

11. Silverpv

Silverpv New Member

Greed by definition is hoarding for ones own desire.
    -having or showing an intense and selfish desire for something, especially wealth or power

Personally, I would rather share knowledge that helps others save wealth. I'm actually surprised at the comments but I guess I shouldn't be at the same time. I know at some point, I will have to use that store of wealth. When I die and/or your family dies, they cannot take it with them. What's the point in saving to oblivion? Especially since it helps your own stack to educate others by making your stack more valuable.

12. Aureus

Aureus Active Member Silver Stacker

There are issues related to fiat currency, but it isn't "the" issue - ideal world it works just fine

You play a dangerous game convincing someone to buy into metals. As an investment it's garbage at the moment, which doesn't exactly scream proof that the world is on the cusp of financial disaster.
    People who have enough faith in you to invest based on your opinion are the kind of people you need to keep close throughout life. If something unplanned happens (like metals get slammed) your credibility and relationship can be damaged beyond repair.

Never worth the risk, if you want metal buy it - never tell someone else to follow suit with their money.

13. BenKenobi

BenKenobi Well-Known Member

I really derive more happiness from helping out someone that is worthy of wisdom, it is free advice that cost me plenty along the way to get that wisdom, I don't see the sense of being a Daffy Duck in his shell with his pearl saying "its mine all mine, mine, mine, mine"

But each to their own, I have known some very wealthy individuals throughout my years, the wealthiest were stingey assholes that were very wealthy indeed, but also gave nothing without considering their gain first. a true example: a couple I know personally were into building luxury resort apartments in Bali, but always complained because as we all know you can never own anything in Bali unless you were born there, so all the apartments are funded and built on your coin but the land they are on must be owned by a local Balinese, now this is the shock and the level some will go to for wealth..., to get around this Indonesian law they bought a child from a local**adopted** shall we say, now they can build as they wish and everything goes into the childs name, with the parents of that child making decisions as she is too young, you get the picture. No sadly this is factual, and it disgusts me, hey look great play but really...the lengths and levels some allow themselves to go and is completely justified within themselves, this is the mindset of the very, very wealthy.

The best of these wealthy people were kind hearted souls, self made with an understanding of reality who gave without thought of return. Not filthy stinking rich like the others but had more than they could spend. I am glad to have personally rubbed shoulders with these types, it has opened my eyes that is for certain.

And hey if they choose to get involved in stocks, I tell them never to put in more than you can afford to lose, at the end of the day a broker is just a parasite and paper is just paper and when it all goes tits up, what will be worth more, 40grand written on a bit of paper in a company that does not exist anymore or 40 grand in PM,s. Giving advice to someone does not make it your responsibility anymore than your broker is responsible for which company you put your coin into. Diversify...sure, but when you play with the big boys you're gonna come away with some bruises and that's a given.

14. milkyspot

milkyspot Member

No, but if somebody asks me what to buy i advice. e.g. where to get krugers or maples at the cheapest

15. milkyspot

milkyspot Member

i would never talk people into precious metals.

16. Old Codger

Old Codger Active Member Silver Stacker

Last mention i made to a friend was about 3 or 4 years ago I think.

Our kids seem more receptive to the idea in the last year or so.

OC

17. ryan71

ryan71 Member

I'd rather try to convince my family and friends I saw Bigfoot.

18. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

Family members are usually the most difficult to convince of something they are not familiar with.

I almost always have better results in persuading acquaintances (not close friends) or total strangers. It happened on a bus recently...a total stranger and I struck up a conversation and there was an opening at some point to mention precious metals. By the end of the conversation, she was very receptive to the idea that some of her savings should be transferred into precious metals.

Don't give up fellow stackers.

19. Old Codger

Old Codger Active Member Silver Stacker

Let them eat cake!

20. JNS

JNS Active Member Silver Stacker

I agree with you, most especially convincing your better half.

But, i have been helping a friend and finally it turns sour. He might be disappointed for the swings of PM.

So, i set myself never again, if they beg, probably i can help but i will re-direct them to search engine.

Some times there are lonely places in stacking that only determined stackers can only comprehend.