Silver as a gift?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Topherclaus, Jan 15, 2016.

1. Topherclaus

Topherclaus Active Member

You could say I've fallen for silver over the past year. Well, gold and silver but Ag makes more sense to me right now as an investment. But now I want to make it part of my life in another way, gifting it to friends and family.

I bought a gold bar for my best mate's first child and that seems a reasonable form for the occasion. But for my family am I best to give jewellery, bars, or coins? Is it worth giving sterling jewellery to nieces?

Just wondering what cool or interesting ways you guys have also passed on your obsession

2. GreenMotion

GreenMotion Member

I gave certain family members a numismatic silver coin/round during Christmas ...

For a war vet I bought a proof silver SDWar "We Will Always Remember WWII" coin and for some of the others, a Gairsoppa Shipwreck Silver round.

Needless to say I don't think it was appreciated :(

Unless the giftee is into silver, I wouldn't even bother if I were you.

3. Gatito Bandito

Gatito Bandito Active Member

Already a bunch of threads on this.

But, a few suggestions..

- Tailor the piece to the individual

- Don't go overboard (in terms of value, frequency & verbally "pushing" PM's)

- Start 'em off young

- Keep your mouth shut about the quantity/value of your own stack

- Recognize the fact that it's just not for everybody; take note of those who do take a genuine liking/interest

4. Ouija

Ouija New Member

As GreenMotion stated, a gift of silver will probably not be appreciated.
    Most people have no interest in silver, and would rather just sell it to the pawn shop for some fast spendable cash.

Making such a gift, will probably mean more to you than it will to the recipient, as it will be viewed as a useless, boring trinket.

There's no point in trying to get someone interested in your hobby they will arrive on their own, in their own time.

Just hold on to your silver, and give something useful, such as a gift card or some other gift that will not be stashed away in the junk drawer, or dumped on someone else.

5. Skyrocket

Skyrocket Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

yeah just keep the silver bullion for yourself. They won't appreciate like you. Just buy them the usual China made goods crap that they like.

6. ego2spare

ego2spare Well-Known Member

Dont bother. Gifting people silver who arnt into silver is a waste of silver. U will hand it to them and they will give u a weird look and say "ow!?...cooool, its pretty shiny" and then they will just toss it somewhere and lose it. Or semi loose it, as in "yeah i still have it, its somewhere in the house" Gifting someone gold. They will ask "oh, how much is this worth" then in the near future it will be sold, Or the same thing as the silver

7. Golden ChipMunk

Golden ChipMunk Well-Known Member

Are you Santa Claus?

I forget, you are related!!! Topher Claus

Why not??? Put me in your yearly listing.... :)

Looking forward for this year GIFTs from you....

Chip

8. James

James Member

Instead of a breakable trinket costing $10-$25, I'd prefer giving a silver round (up to an ounce).
    Attitudes have reached the stage where folks don't know what's good for themselves.
    I tried silver for Xmas gifts. Can check later as to if it was valued !

9. Killface

Killface Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I've only ever given away one coin, and the recipients don't even know they have it.. when the time came to move out of my old house, I slipped a Koala into the soil of the jade plant/money tree by the front door, to further enhance its wealth-attracting properties. My flatmates had a baby on the way and I thought it might help them out. And whaddyaknow, a year later they are doing quite nicely!

I know it's all superstitious nonsense, but I got a kick out of it and one day someone will unearth it and get a pleasant surprise...

Oh, come to think of it I seem to remember giving my lucky coin away to a busker on Saturday night... LATE on Saturday night. Pretty sure that one has been cashed in by now :)

10. SwissSilverstar

SwissSilverstar New Member

I bought a number of 20g Silverbars and half-ounce to ounce bullion for exactly that reason.
    Its more personal than giving cash or some chinese crap as giveaways.
    Good for children to let them develop a sense for goods apart from cash.
    Usually I give it to people who appreciate this kind of gift, especially abroad. Because its swiss minted Silver, its something from my homecountry and at least it always holds a worth. if they want they still can trade it in.
    The last one was a 250g Silverbar with a 6g Goldcoin on top of it, to show gratitude/Christmaspresent to my brother and my sister-in-law for accommodating me for several weeks at their house in Australia.
    Usually I go for 1 OZ for invitations etc, instead of the obligatory bottle of whine.

Cheers Danny

11. Topherclaus

I gave my family 1g PAMP bars for Xmas. It's interesting the way gold illicits a reaction from people. 1g is so cheap yet people act like you've bought them a car. I think it all comes down to a fundamental misunderstanding of PMs.

I do try to educate them, but they've seen so many people lose money investing poorly, at the wrong times that they seem to have mental scars.

12. systematic

systematic Well-Known Member

One ounce silver bars and coins make lovely gifts as keepsakes ...

13. Beachbum

Beachbum New Member

I've been gifted one ounce silver bars, rounds, Australian lunar coins, ASEs, etc to my young nephews. I give them to the parents to hold onto, and when the kids are around 10 or so, I'll fill the kids in on their little stash, and turn them into PM bugs!

14. iceblue

iceblue Well-Known Member

Theres a secret to gifting silver to children - add chocolate.
    Each year for xmas we gift silver to all my nieces ages 3 - 12. We make up little bags, fill them with chocolates and a piece of silver, we just stick with 1/2oz lunars these days but in the past have also given them pamp 10gm lunars.
    They ALL understand that it is given to them for their future, the mum's take them and add them to their mini stacks, the kids chow down the chocolate! They do like the designs, the horse and this years monkey were quite a hit.
    As they get older they DO appreciate the value of their items. My now 15 year old loves getting silver coins, all my kids do, but the greater appreciation comes as they get older and understand money a little more.
    Young children really like the instant gratification with a present, by adding chocolate you give them just that and by adding silver you are giving them something for the future.

15. Gatito Bandito

Gatito Bandito Active Member

16. TreasureHunter

TreasureHunter Well-Known Member

It's a great gift! Especially if it's something 'truly special' like certified sealed PAMP bars or, Perth Mint special edition coins (like the Lunar series).

Yes, silver can be a great gift!

17. acebren

acebren New Member

I got two of my brothers silver for christmas!, one is just seven years old, got him two sterling necklaces, he's into precious metals early like i was :)

18. SilverKnight.au

SilverKnight.au Member

Late last year we welcomed a new niece to the family, so I gifted her and her 2 year old brother Perth Mint coins from their year of birth 2013 and 2015, brought 2 display cases for them as well, to make them a bit more special. Sis and bro-in-law thought them great gifts, so perhaps I'll add an ounce a year and 3 ounces on their respective 18th birthdays. By then they will fully understand the value of PMs.

We shall see just how well this might work out over the next couple of decades.

19. Topherclaus

I love that idea mate! I may have to play catch up with my nieces and nephews though. You trying to send me broke? Haha.

20. silverbait

silverbait Active Member Silver Stacker

As someone said its a waste of silver to give as a gift unless its like a necklace etc type of sterling silver close to spot.

I gave some gold to my sister to help with newborn baby but also told her to ask me in case it needs to be sold.

You don't wanna be like a candyman showing off and publicize your investment I guess