damned if you do, damned if you don't?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by wes hightower, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Clawhammer

Clawhammer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I'm not eatin' a crow, dude...that's like eating someone's soul... I draw the line at crows.

We don't have a history/culture of trapping in Australia... I think it's amazing the snares and techniques posted on Youtube.

2. pmfiend

pmfiend New Member

Crows are probably too wary & smart for a simple trap anyway. Pigeons are the target.

Accidentally caught a bandicoot (like a giant rat) in a toad trap the other day. It was released. Just a computer-sized box trap with a 1-way swing-in door made from wire mesh. Stacking some chicken-wire might be a good idea.

I've caught fish, yabbies & eels in wire traps too. You'll find eels in suburban drains, that I would certainly eat if starving. If there are yabbies (shrimp) or insects (esp dragonfly nymphs) in the water, its pretty clean.

Stack some fish hooks (all sizes but especially small ones) and various gauges of line. You can catch more than fish on a fish hook....bad sport but all bets are off when SHTF.

3. pmfiend

pmfiend New Member

Yeah, its all about pilfering livestock into tuckerbags. :)

4. wes hightower

wes hightower New Member

ahah. slingshot rubber indeed. hadn't thought of that. free ammo would be huge. i'm guessing the weaponry itself can be had for less than 10 bucks. headed to ebay now.

and perhaps a water balloon launcher with 3" to 4" diameter rocks handy for home defense.

5. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Freshwater eels taste awesome (speaking with the memory of a 12yo here). Skinning them is a bitch though. Mum used to make crumbed fish nuggets from them :)

6. Nugget

Nugget Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Hey!

7. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Please remember that this forum is hosted in Australia (although fully open to international members!), and we have dramatically different weapons laws here. Slingshots are prohibited weapons in parts of Australia.

You might notice a distinct lack of firearms discussion on Silver Stackers - it's discouraged because of privacy ramifications when people discuss topics that authorities feel worthy of "further enquiries". There's been precedents set on other Australian websites.

8. wes hightower

wes hightower New Member

9. greyman68

greyman68 New Member

The one sign that it is coming to a screaming halt is when the Military cancels all leave and all military reservists are called in to base. If you know anyone in the Reseve Forces keep track of thier movements, if they are called in for special or unscheduled exercises or training you have about 4 days.

The government needs about 3-5 days to mobilise, it is not announced on national TV, it is done by simply calling members to attend base and bring your field gear with you.

Emergency food equals 20 kilo bag of rice and 20 kilo bag of rolled oatmeal, very cheap can be eaten raw if necessary just boil and eat. :cool:

10. Clawhammer

Ohh God I hate rice and porridge... I eaten my lifetime's share already... I actually think I'd rather starve! :/

11. pmfiend

pmfiend New Member

I have 3 servings of rolled oats each day, raw. :) Grind it up, and drink it down.

12. Nub Cannon

Nub Cannon New Member

I can eat rice for the rest of my life but I agree with you about the oatmeal . I went on a diet a few years back and had to eat oatmeal everyday; I don't think I will ever eat oatmeal again (well not for several years :p )

13. Clawhammer

What do you mix with it to make it palateable and drinkable? Vodka? Icecream? :)

14. pmfiend

pmfiend New Member

Scoop of unflavored whey protein (half price of flavored), glutamine, creatine, and 16oz of plain water. Flax seed oil if I'm trying to bulk up. 3 servings of milk would probably give me a lactose overdose.

Palatability is for pussies. :p

15. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

pmfiend thats the best survival tips ive seen a good fishing kit will catch you a lot more than fish.. small mammals birds marsupials can all be caught & reeled in if your hungry even a hole in the ground with light foliage over it will catch you a meal . A bit of chicken wire& a small amount of heavy guage wire [fencing wire ] is a definate must if you want to make simple traps.A shovel & a half axe or tomahawk some good pliers & knife is about all you need I have a good magnifying glass & a few cigarette lighters in my bag to start a fire . Fire is the thing people forget about in survival mode to cook food & boil water to stop yourself getting sick A bag of salt is always handy to cure excess meat .Pigeons are delicious ive eaten loads of different things & never been sick i just cook the crap out of them . Another handy thing to know is how to smoke things.I seen GP mentioned eels are delicious .smoked eels are even better

16. Clawhammer

Sounds awful, Have you thought about field dressing them first? :p

17. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

nah i like to see them explode in the fire lol. EDIT i have a friend who actually refuses to dress anything he just stabs them in the guts so they dont explode then throws them on the fire whole hahaha the smell of burning feathers & fur is extreme or if its a pig or roo he cuts off a large part with the half axe then throws it straight on the fire he reckons were sooks

18. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

oooh crumbed eel!.
    As kids on the farm one day we caught an eel that was as tall as the 10 year old boys and took two of them to carry it back to the house. I remember the excitement as we followed it down the creek.
    We also caught quite a few large birds with spring traps and shoe box traps. Ended up with tame willie wagtail out of that one.
    Got the memory banks with Eel GP.

19. Rothbard

Rothbard New Member

We got out of corporate Sydney years ago in prep for SHTF! That wasn't the reason to leave but a damn good benefit!

Can't complain about waking up to turquoise blue waters, pristine rainforest, day trips to islands, sailing and diving.

I can't find any reason to stay in the city right up until SHTF...get out now. Start a beautiful life and just relax!

Staying and waiting for a "signal" is like all these morons who wait till the last minute to evacuate from bushfires, cyclones and floods!

20. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

did you by any chance use the money you earned in corporate Sydney to fund your sea change? If yes then there is the reason to stay