Generic Silver VS Designer / Currency Silver

Discussion in 'Silver' started by copperhead, Mar 21, 2015.

1. copperhead

copperhead Active Member

When I first started to hang wall cover I remember I charged less for my services then more established craftsmen
    some people ( my customers ) realized I offered the same value for less .

The Shopping Cart feature with Internet shopping allows for in your face comparisons of pricing Generic Silver vs Designer / Currency Silver

http://www.jmbullion.com/1-oz-sunshine-buffalo-silver-round/ I feel is a fine example of a fine coin to own $135.34 for 7 coins

JMB has this on sale http://www.jmbullion.com/1-oz-gam-morgan-silver-bar/ $129.51 for 7

But yes I would like this
    http://www.jmbullion.com/2012-1-oz-new-zealanad-silver-fiji-taku/ $154.26 for 7

Wile I'm at it http://www.jmbullion.com/1-oz-engelhard-silver-bar/ $180.47 for 7

These are just nickel and dime examples as I realize this also is out there
    http://www.jmbullion.com/2014-1-oz-chinese-silver-panda-ngc-ms70/ $442.62 for 7

So what I ask is this , to those who spend extra for - Designer / Currency Silver - who will you sell to - to get the premium ?
    That seems to be my issue .
    Ebay is a benchmark but some Ebay customers are dishonest also.

As I did collect coins as a child , I have a natural reborn feel for the stacking / collecting
    but I still remember how it was old coins of low mintage with value & when you had a morgen dollar from the 1800's
    that extra value seemed rightfully so . It was not a concocted value It was a time earned value . It was real an event
    set 100 years previous .
    I'd suspect 100 years from now many of our coins will be sought after but for now I am alive and year 2115
    has no reality ( maybe I'm stacking for my future grand kids benefit ?? )

A reality that I developed from scrapping is you get paid from weight & thats all there is to it.
    20 pounds of copper will deliver $50 - True amount = your pay .
    So I'm leaning towards - What my money can cause to create . True amount in your hand silver opposed to
    a hope . Silver is speculation as is , For me 1 oz Designer / Currency Silver per 6 oz generic silver coins is all I care to speculate on
    But if premiums are ever the same as in a sale , yes to Designer / Currency Silver .

Lets face it if after 5 years

1680 oz of new-Zealand coins is impressive

1920 ounces of generic coins is impressive
    240 extra ounce of silver is impressive for the sake of silver and if we get technical
    $6.50 extra still buys silver = $1560 after 5 years or say an extra 83 ounces
    240 + 83 = 323 ounces extra 2003 ounces of silver is what it is , it's not air , not fake .
    opposed to 1680 oz New Zealand turtle coins ,
    With current pricing the generic silver offers more a guaranteed any time get your money extra $5,168 with your $26,880
    Are there any guarantees each and every Designer / Currency Silver stacker who wants to sell there coins will they get there $3 extra during massive selling .

Silver at a boom causes problems for low level numismatics .Even I remember 2011 silver value exceeding low level numismatics
    Can you really be sure Designer / Currency coins ,
    that are not really even old are nothing more then fodder

2. Niveka

Niveka New Member

Two things my granddad used to say all the time:
    1) There are no guarantees in life, absolutely none.
    2) Life isn't fair, better get used to it now.

3. danman49

danman49 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

They are all worth spot if you take them to your local bullion dealer (maybe less if you are unlucky). If you find the right buyer then you may get the premium back or even make a few dollars if you picked the right coin (wedge tailed eagle for example). BUT the real big question is why did you pick 7 to do your comparison with? :)

4. copperhead

copperhead Active Member

True said , for all aspects of life

5. copperhead

copperhead Active Member

7 hmm

Guess I should really say $135 per week silver investment
    this week $135 could get you 7

6. danman49

danman49 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Ahh, thought there must be a reason!

7. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

There will probably be almost as many opinions on this as there are stackers...or so the old adage if applied would go.

I do think such concerns depends on your goals, your location, your physical capabilities, your time constraints, etc, etc, etc.

My situation compels me to diversify.

Now if I were to believe that a SHTF scenario is imminent and I were one oif those people who believes that silver is money and if I were to believe that like scrap metal, the only important value of the metal silver is tied exclusively to its purity and weight, then I'd completely forgo any and all silver products except the absolutely lowest cost silver product. So, for example, if that were my thinking, I'd probably be compelled to buy silver in this form if there is no less costly way to purchase this quality and quantity of silver: http://www.apmex.com/product/43773/25-kilo-bag-silver-grain-shot-9999-fine-peoles-803-75-oz

And yet, if you buy the lowest cost bullion or shot, there's no guarantee that you will find a buyer for it that will pay you what you feel it is worth. As we should know by now, the worth of something like a commodity can best be described as what someone else is willing to pay for it.

But I no longer believe those things, or at least not entirely so I diversify because let's face it, there have always been collectors of coins and likely there will always be. Some people have made plenty of profit selling "pretty" coins to collectors on the secondary market. On the flip side, some people have lost plenty of money buying collector coins believing that the premiums will increase or at least hold...and it didn't for them. Timing of when to buy and sell can be very important too.

No matter if you buy and stack blobs (common, non-denom, generic bars and rounds) or semi-numi coins, in order for the vast majority of people who stack to extract meaningful value out of those products, they will have to find a buyer. You can not eat, wear, fuel your car with, or heat your home with silver. It is a "dead" commodity as far as that goes. The potential it has as an asset is made up entirely of what value we individually or collectively attach to it.

8. copperhead

copperhead Active Member

$14,298.71 = $17.78 per oz

It really does give credit to JMB - as at the moment silver ask is $16.80 and
    $17.79 per ounce for
    http://www.jmbullion.com/1-oz-gam-morgan-silver-bar/

There pricing is live so during the week it plays typical games
    & each week they seem to have some of the best pricing for
    silver

Last week I ordered this
    1 oz Sunshine Buffalo Silver Round New, MintMark SI amt 7 @ $16.71 = $116.97

For the moment $129.51 for 7 silver bars unless it goes down Monday
    For citizens of Continental USA JMB seems best 98% of the time
    Thursday was $125 snooze you loose .

9. sterling-nz

sterling-nz Well-Known Member

Funny how different people have different certainties.
    I was always told there are TWO certainties in life, DEATH and TAXES:)

10. SilverTabbyCat

SilverTabbyCat New Member

You know, I have never met a local dealer willing to pay spot. I always thought it was normal to not get paid spot - more like two bucks under. I guess all of my local dealers are con artists/ jerks. not that I typically sell any of my collection lol.

11. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

If it works out that the JM blobs are basically the same price per ounce as the shot and the buyer (hypothetically me for example) is not bothered by .9999 vs .999 pure silver, then yes, the blobs over the shot would be the obvious choice for me if I were looking for most bang per buck.

And still, for the average stacker, that leaves the question of who will buy those particular blobs and for how much. Not all LCS and dealers buy all silver unless you are willing to almost give it to them for way less than you believe it's worth (way under spot).

So no matter if you buy blobs or collector silver coins, the bottom line is you will have to find a buyer who is willing to pay you what you feel it's worth. It's kind of the same difference.

12. sk

sk New Member

I'm new to silver and PM. I only started buying last October. I've learned a lot in the short time I've been buying and my taste has changed several times. At first I cared more about the premium silver and fancy designs. But as my stack increased, I began to worry about recovering the premium when it came to time to sale. I know I probably won't do Ebay as it's too time consuming and full of scam buyers. Craigslist is waste of time with flaky buyers. My only realistic options at selling time are LCS and online dealers like APMEX and ProvidentMetals. Which means silver is silver and I'll get ~spot price for any silver including the premium ones. So I've decided stop buying Perth and other premium silvers in bulk and stick with low priced generic bars and govt coins like ASE and Maples. I will still pickup one or two premium silver coins if it catches my eye but most of my stack will be made up with generics and low premium silver going forward.

13. chowdersilver

chowdersilver New Member

Interesting post sk.

I started in July and a few months in decided I like to pick up older poured bars from mints no longer in business. You probably have a better strategy because if I buy anywhere from my LCS, I have to pay a higher premium.

Part of the reason I like the older bars is because my LCS only gets them in about once every couple of months. It makes it more of a "find" for me.

One additional problem I have is there are only a few bars I would be willing to sell regardless of most prices. I probably should buy some cheaper bullion that I would be willing to part with.

14. DanielM

DanielM Active Member Silver Stacker

Well if you're the idiot that buys 1680turtles....

Look I see turtles as something I'd like one or two of but that's it, as an ounce of silver they are too expensive

Coins like ASEs and CMLs are government backed and people usually pay a 'little' for liquidity, government backed counterfeit protection, ect.

15. copperhead

copperhead Active Member

Allot of good points here . The few times I sold some silver I never got paid spot always below $2 to $1 & realize the sellers sell @ $2 $3 above . I will say that I pushed for a bit more for eagles and the buyer paid .75 extra over the generic.
    This is to be expected as you need figure you will be selling to coin dealers .

As to ebay I have sold copper wire many times and once a buyer stated wire was not to his liking
    and even tho I had a " no return" policy Ebay took money out of my Pay Pal . The customer sent back item and he shorted me 2 pounds of copper .
    The whole experience gave me a concern would I dare sell silver particular like 10 OZ. Next thing you know a complaint paypal refunds and you get back 10 Eisenhower's - Now you have to prove it .
    Also really consider your average stacker is competing against MCM Provident JMB - Ect. - These companies Ebay pricing is not all that bad .

The Maple Leafs @ .9999 are nice but it must be an infinitesimal % .999 or .9999 ?? But I am fond of my Canadian coins and have not seen any yet with spots . With that, it leads the stacker to the decision, Yes I think it's necessary to get Generic Blobs ( coins Bars ) & plenty of them . Forget about SHTF . A day can come and your own personal SHTF scenario and who can you turn to, with luck a buddy some cash savings or your Stack. So you better have plenty of Non emotional Silver Blobs to save your Butt.

Lately I been wondering why can't I get the word out
    to buy silver from some consumers at spot compared to dealers $1 to $2 below .I could make flyer's up put them up around town , maybe get a few customers . Paying @ spot or .50 to $1 under
    is better then a dealer or pawn shops . I figure if I do it small should stay under the eye of the law .
    just a thought :rolleyes:

16. DanielM

DanielM Active Member Silver Stacker

WoW, if you have to sell under spot you must be looking in all the wrong places

17. sk

sk New Member

It's your stack and you should also stack what you like. Since the stack is constantly growing, you have to manage and balance it. I think it's ok to periodically reward yourself and pickup a premium piece you like. I like 5oz and kilo coins so I allow myself to buy one occasionally even though I know I'll probably never recover the premiums if/when I sell. I bought 2014 5oz Libertad and 2012 kilo Libertad knowing it was dumb move premium wise. But I wanted the coins so it was a compromise. I think as long as you're aware you're getting ripped off, it's ok. :)

18. copperhead

copperhead Active Member

Remember my desire is not to ever sell stack but some event happens and you need some hundreds
    fast . If your only net work are the coin stores you purchased from well what you think will happen.
    Sure I bet if I ran an ad silver by the ounce @ $1 over spot in time I'll get calls . But thats another story

19. BoliverT.

BoliverT. New Member

New Member from the USA

You did not make a bad move with the Libertads, these coins are very low mintage and will be well worth what you paid and usually much more in the future(IF you didn't pay a ridiculous premium to some unscrupulous dealer that is)

20. ProspectorMidWest

ProspectorMidWest New Member

I've pawned - - the act of collatoral for a loan --not just sell like my friends think it is... in a pinch. The trick is getting it back before the interest doesn't make sense to repay the loan as it will ultimately be adding to your purchase price on thar silver. Some places will charge a flat rate reguardless of loan with collateral. 10$ for the pawn generally but after a month when flat rate turns into %of loan, shoot. Forget it. Otherwise the slow game will generally break you even. Unless its a huge difference in spot. Or if you hustle. Spice up the listing.. sell it .. and I mean sell it if you're looking for profit. It takes two to do business. A lot depends on each.

For example
    1oz ASE uncirculated 18.00$

vs
    1oz pure .999 silver American eagle!! Beautiful coin. Uncirculated! Wow! Will be shipped safely in a platic pouch! 18.99$

Personally if i were shopping .. id go for the second dealer. A little effort got second dude a sale and .99c more than mr depressed #1.