New 2014 Proof Britannia is an absolute beauty

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by AgAuNEWS, Jul 1, 2014.

1. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

I was actually kinda hoping that lots of people return them because of quality issues and the RM ends up declaring the mintage in 2015 at considerably less than the max due to all the returns...making the fewer one's out there in the world (the one's that people didn't return) more desirable perhaps (and valuable due to the lower mintage). Oh well.

I guess we'll just have to settle for a whopping, massive 1350 total coins minted. :)

2. yrh0413

yrh0413 New Member

received a reply from Royal Mint regarding the returned coins and the final mintage...

case to case basis, if there are high number of returns the mint will mint replacement coins to meet maximum mintage. Else the final mintage figures will be adjusted to reflect the returns. My guess is the later for the 2014 5oz proof Britannia. :)

3. Stark

Stark Active Member Silver Stacker

4. jazzy988

jazzy988 Member

The silver 6-coin set is being overlooked. It is beautiful. I think it is better to buy this set (which includes the 1 oz coin) than to buy the 1 oz coin as a stand alone.

5. yrh0413

yrh0413 New Member

well surprisingly based on eBay completed listings on previous year proof Britannias, the single-coin proof tends to fetch better price than the coin sets.
    I think it got to do with more collectors for the 1oz proof over the coin sets.

no doubt the proof set looks nice :)

6. syracuse

syracuse New Member

After looking at 5oz ATB coins for a week, I feel even 1oz coin is too small now. Not even mention 1/40 oz. :D:D:D

7. mmissinglink

While the 2014 proof design is a great design in my view, personally I like to look and see a design and all it's intricate detail....to appreciate it....otherwise I would save all that money (premium) and just buy blank silver rounds if I didn't care about seeing a lot of nice detail. Its because I actually like to see the fine details that I would not buy a collector coin smaller than 1 oz in size. So this set is definitely not for me but for those who like such tiny coin sets....go for it! Nothing wrong with different strokes for different folks.

Besides, the qualitative design and finish of the 5 oz is universes above the other sizes. The high relief of the 5 oz does not have a counterpart in the smaller sizes and the frosted finish isn't even available for the 1 oz and smaller. It's a world of difference between the 5 oz and the others....this is my personal opinion.

8. Silver91

Silver91 Member

this is turtle'd up!!!!!

Thank you for your email

I can confirm I have refunded your return postage of 35 to your card today. This was converted from $AU by www.xe.com

Regrettably we have now totally sold out of this coin so we will be unable to replace it for you, therefore as soon as it has been returned to The Royal Mint we will issue a full refund.

Please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Kind Regards

9. SpacePete

SpacePete Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

That sucks to hear. Now I wonder if your returned coin will be subtracted from the final mintage numbers, or will be forwarded on to someone else?

10. mmissinglink

Sorry to hear that. Perhaps with a lot of luck, you might catch a good price for one on eBay. Things like that can happen.

11. Sully

Sully Member

The weird thing is as of right now it says "available" again on their site.
    Makes me wonder are they re-selling the returned coins now.

12. SpacePete

SpacePete Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Somethings up. Its both sold out and in stock on the same page. I had no problems adding one to the basket and proceeding to checkout... (that's where I stopped).

[​IMG]

13. mmissinglink

Well, I believe previously the page indicated "Not available" which technically isn't the same as sold out. So, maybe they didn't have any in stock to sell....now they do. But yes, the question is, are they re-selling returned ones. My guess is yes.

Likely the cost of minting new ones with a brand new die is too costly to warrant that.

14. Sully

Sully Member

I agree "not available" does just mean for the moment there aren't any, that they will be available another day.
    So many people see that also on Perths site a few days after a coin launches and think it means sold out (and get all excited about a 'hit' coin on their hands :rolleyes: ) - but it simply means not available, come back the next day when it will be.

But the Royal mint page actually previously said "No Longer Available" which absolutely means sold out.
    Also stated by the RM employee to Silver91 above.
    To be in stock now can only mean they have some returns to offload.
    (but of course - only after these have been melted down and re-struck ;))

15. yrh0413

yrh0413 New Member

I don't think they are re-struck copies... pretty sure someone cancelled/returned their order or Royal Mint manage to clean some of the returned spotted coins.
    If they are back on sale it is a good idea to grab them while they are available, you got nothing to lose... if the coin is bad just return it and get a full refund.

You can order from Royal Mint directly.

16. libertadiac

libertadiac Member Silver Stacker

From the Royal Mint - or on ebay

17. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

I'm a bit confused. For the 5 oz, I see that it shows 600 limited issue, and then 1350 for limit. Which is it?

18. yrh0413

yrh0413 New Member

Maximum mintage 1,350.
    750 of them being issued as "First Strike" and sold to some special dealers,
    remaining 600 coins sold by Royal Mint directly to their customers.

The ones on Royal Mint website are from the 600 coins.

19. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

Thanks yrh, appreicate the quick response. So is APMEX lying, or are these not the 'premium 600?' You know how some dealers are. LOL.

http://www.apmex.com/product/84799/2014-5-oz-silver-proof-high-relief-britannia-w-box-coa

Five ounces of .999 fine silver are contained in this mighty Five-Ounce coin finished to Proof standard. A Certificate of Authenticity confirms that only 600** coins will be released in this presentation. Only the second year for this beauty!
    In 2013, the Britannia was minted in even finer precious metals, including the purest .999 fine silver. This year's 2014 Silver Britannia coin features a British Icon, a British artist, a design approved by the Queen and perfected by the UKs best craftspeople and struck by The Royal Mint. Britannia has always reflected Britain's position, strengths and aspirations. She has been reimagined over time and has earned her reputation as the changing face of Britain. So closely tied with the coinage is Britannia that she is protected by law only coins struck by The Royal Mint are genuine Britannia coins. - See more at: http://www.apmex.com/product/84799/...lief-britannia-w-box-coa#sthash.AcnryMcH.dpuf

20. db23

db23 Member

I believe GovMint got all of the graded coins.