perth mint croc , is it a once off or is it a new series like kook ?

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by toorak13, May 27, 2014.

1. iluvbeanz

iluvbeanz Member

Technically it's a tube. Rolls are so yesterday.

And I think people are 'tripping' over for these because it's the first lowest premium bullion coin, and also the first coin of a potential series.

2. scrooged

scrooged New Member

I call bull dust.

Nat. Geo. is your friend.

3. scrooged

scrooged New Member

Cool, we agree. Marketing seems at the very least adequate.

4. ego2spare

ego2spare Well-Known Member

Bulls dont excrete dust

david. attenborough. Is my friend

5. toorak13

toorak13 Member

the difference in US and Australia on the croc

PM send item to US + (crazy freight price ) and the US can sell it $2.59 over spot (1 coin)

PM send item to local Australian dealer (via local freight) , and they charge $5 over spot (1 coin)

unless the explanation is that PM sells to the US below spot price or even lower premium than local Australian dealers to cover the freight?

am i correct?

6. scrooged

scrooged New Member

"Under normal circumstances, crocodilians never lay on their back on land or in the water. They may roll and turn upside down momentarily to dismember prey, and when they are in combat, but crocodilians never remain belly up on their back by choice."

You win.

7. Golden ChipMunk

Golden ChipMunk Well-Known Member

If this Croc lays belly up, you will get the Lady. :lol:

8. scrooged

scrooged New Member

haha too true, mind some may argue reptile either way.

Maybe they could come out with 'shit that never happens' series, ie a croc on it's back all day, a wombat that makes it across the road, a koala that isn't smashed off it's head on eucalyptus ... etc.

9. Kordarg

Kordarg New Member

I think scrooged nailed it... they should be called Croc Rolls... Croc Tubes doesn't sound right :p

10. miniroo

miniroo Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

They could do any design they wanted, why would you wanna buy a business logo on your bullion?
    it's more a giveaway type logo promoting perth mint, surely perth mint are better then that, it could be just a map of australia or something of substance like that.

But my main issue is it's not Australian silver, I like chinese panda's mostly because I get to hold chinese silver, mined from china's soil.
    We mine a lot of silver in Australia yet Perth Mint buy Mexican silver, that's the worst thing about perth mint product, not truly Australian.

11. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Perth Mint logo to identify the maker of course. Without the legal tender status there will be no Queen, face value or other identifying marks so you want something to differentiate it from generic rounds, something trade marked to dissuade others copying the design.

Not overly concerned about what flag was flying over the dirt the silver was dug out of.

12. Jislizard

I was comparing individual crocs against individual kooks. I chose Goldstacker's pricing over Perth Mint prices as they are better value for individual coins. I guess once you factor in the cost of rent and wages in Australia it is cheaper to get them from America, even with the cost of shipping them around the world. I haven't seen Perth Mint advertising them as low premium, just stackers. Being a coin they will be higher premiums than a round and being Perth Mint they will be higher premium than a no-name mint, I don't think you will ever see a low premium Perth Mint Coin. I got some from Goldstackers but not that many, not a whole tube, I would prefer the XAG if I was going to buy in bulk.

I always count the premium as being the cost over spot, I don't usually count it as the cost over spot minus the manufacturing costs (edit to add: because I don't know what the manufacturing costs are and I doubt the costs for a 1oz coin are the same as for a 1 kilo coin, and I doubt the cost of a 2oz coin are twice that of a 1oz coin, in the absence of information on manufacturing costs I just count the whole amount above spot as being the premium).

I think as long as you are consistent it is still a decent way to compare different products.

Saying that it is $5 above cost for a one ounce is not handy when you are comparing the price against a half ounce coin, you then have to convert everything to the cost per ounce above spot for each size which would work until you come up against the metric sizes. All in all, if you are comparing how much silver you get for your dollar, the percentage above spot is still a very valid metric which can be used to compare even the value of a 1oz coin against a 1 kg bar.

Other people may find they prefer to use dollar amounts and estimates of manufacturing costs.

13. Jislizard

Sweet! They keep ignoring my emails :)

Might even convert some unallocated.

14. miniroo

miniroo Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

They have a "P" that identifies the the maker, they call it a mint mark I believe.

15. Jislizard

No need for a map of Australia then, a 'P' will suffice, it can look like a lid from a giant tube of Smarties.
    [​IMG]

16. Golden ChipMunk

Golden ChipMunk Well-Known Member

^^ Perfect ^^ P = perfect. :lol: