what should i have learned from this

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by craig12, Apr 21, 2014.

1. craig12

craig12 New Member

bought a little purchase as you probably know of a couple of 5 gram bars of gold recently after watching gold come down a little,, 2 weeks on the price has dropped further so I am down in monetary terms, but not planning to sell
    didn't want to try and to get into metals to lose money at least break even if it didn't work out
    now im very cautious over pricing before jumping in
    have any stackers had a similar experience did you learn a hard lesson? did it put you off more purchases? did you feel like giving up and selling at a loss?
    ive learned the hard way ok it was only 275 it could have been a whole lot more
    just wondered if stackers have made bad calls and what your reaction was after your purchase
    regards

2. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

Theres many here that swear everytime they buy spot goes down ....join the club craig :p:

3. craig12

craig12 New Member

thanks for reply , thought it was only me , isn't it a sickening feeling much like buying shares and watching em go down
    heres the thing though renovator then you see it tumble and you think shall I shall I you don't and the spot goes back up
    or you buy and it keeps on falling arghhhh

4. scone

scone Active Member Silver Stacker

welcome to the turmoils of being a stacker. Time will be kind to us, enjoy the ride

5. trew

trew Active Member Silver Stacker

If buying something and watching the price fall further gives you a sickening feeling then you should probably just leave your money in the bank.

6. SpacePete

SpacePete Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Yeah, welcome to the club. I reckon if we all got together and coordinated our buying activity, the bullion price would crash so badly that it would bring down the global economy. :)

7. Abossy

Abossy Active Member Silver Stacker

It's funny when I buy shares and watch the price go down it's sometimes a sickening feeling.

I've been buying physical PM's for the last 2 years, 10 years before that just holding unallocated. When the price goes down I don't feel anything, rather I buy more.

For me it's how I view them. I see PM's as hard currency and a hedge against inflation as well as an emergency nest egg. If I was only holding for a year or two obviously I would change my strategy but this is for the long term (15+ years) and something I may even pass down to the future generation.

8. craig12

craig12 New Member

no im quite used to buying stocks and losing money, the 5 gramm bars have left a sickening feeling but I think ive learned a good lesson , no I want to carry on stacking , im learning all the time with this excellent site
    the only issue I have with buying silver is im very aware that bigger bars etc get you closer to spot or bigger rounds purchases but the bigger bars may be harder to sell so if your left with smaller weights then the premiums are higher other wise id be in to 10 oz 100 oz or ikg bars only , or 100 rounds at a time

9. renovator

nope ...have faith grasshopper :lol: . if you dont have faith in it you shouldnt be buying & find somewhere else to park your money . It definately isnt a get rich quick scheme.

10. Abossy

Abossy Active Member Silver Stacker

Don't focus so much on the price if you only have a small amount, rather just set yourself monthly targets in Oz's and buy different things. I just picked up some eagles only a few dollars over spot. But I like the PM 10oz bars they are some of my favourite - albeit damn ugly. If you see the trading section on this site they always sell real quick and maintain a healthy premium.

I've been watching a lot of Silverfish VT's videos on youtube lately. He is from the US, but gives a great insight into how a lower middle class guy can stack and accumulate a respectable amount in a short period of time.

11. ScrollLock

ScrollLock New Member Silver Stacker

I buy ounces and only days later the spot takes a dive. The same ounce of gold is then worth $25 less than what I bought it for.
    Personally that small drop falls in the 'lifes too short to care' category.

The only bad call would be buying sucker bullion.
    ie. Overpaying for something by a ridiculously huge margin just 'cause, a recent post here about a 2oz lunar coin comes to mind....
    And the only hope of recouping your money is to find a bigger sucker to offload it onto.

TLDR: Dont sweat the small stuff, and stay the hell away from sharks pushing sucker bullion.

12. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Stackers V Collectors V Speculators
    I think we just found a speculator :/

13. mr-dead

mr-dead Member

didn't you only buy that bar about 2 weeks ago, a few s an oz fluctuation either way is normal.

You got to stand back and look at the bigger picture and trend over a longer period of time.

14. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Sure it might take 20 years for me to recover the loss on my silver, as I was buying it in the $30s, but that money would only have been spent on something else, going out, restaurants. It would have been spent and it would have been gone forever.

It's not like I am big into investing, silver is the one abnormality in that I like to buy the stuff, can't be doing with shares or stocks and I only got the investment properties because it seemed like a nice idea at the time, I am not constantly watching the housing prices or listening to people on YouTube going on about how the war in Syria might affect house prices.

I buy silver because it looks nice, I give it as gifts to people, I try to put together thematic collections, I collect coins, I like trying to guess the next big thing, it is gambling and collecting and investing and a hobby and a social thing. I rarely expect many of those things to actually make me any money, more often than not those sorts of things cost you money, at least this way I have a bit more to show for it and if I break even in 20 years time then it wasn't a great investment but it was good in all the other respects :)

15. renovator

im officially jealous oz i wish i had in interest in bullion back then ....it would have been nice to have a decent stack at those prices .

16. Eureka Moments

Eureka Moments Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Brilliant description of how there is a lot more reasons why people stack than just price-based motives. You can learn a lot about life here and what motivates people to do different things.

House should copy and paste Jislizards post in his faqs under "Reasons to be a stacker".

17. knightrous

knightrous New Member

Oz copper we all bow to your superior insight

18. Lunarowl

Lunarowl Active Member Silver Stacker

Sir , back then, 500gm of yellow goodies = how many months worth of salary?

19. Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann New Member

the thing is though, it`s now YOURS!

I had the same happen to me, and that just prompted me to buy another bar that offset the initial loss a little.
    but even if I hadn`t done that, I`m pretty sure that within a few wekks and certainly months it will have gone Over what I paid for it a few times too.
    in fact my 1`st bar I bought made $2.44 the very next day! the fac that it`s gone down since and currently (key word "Curently") I`m Down about 20 makes no odds to me.
    I could understand it if you were after a quick turn-around (flipping I think it`s called???) then yeah, bummer!
    but medium to long haul... it`ll be fine ;)

besides, you can use the same "safety net" as me, and to My findings I know I can shift my silver on fleabay for what i paid and still probabbly make a tenner or two on top, but it`s more fun to wait a while and see what happens.

20. mr-dead

mr-dead Member

If you want to trade your best bet is something like bullionvault.

I see physical as more of mid to long term investment.