Troy ounce ?

Discussion in 'Gold' started by copperhead, Apr 8, 2014.

1. copperhead

copperhead Active Member

I am going to start to buy a touch of gold
    as lame as it might sound 1 gram or 1/2 gram
    1/10 ounce are going to be my starting point

based on 31.1034768 grams is equal to a troy ounce
    seems to me 1 gram is more respectful than I realized

I have alway been happy with an ounce of silver as value .
    With a little math I see a half gram and I know thats small
    is kinda the same value as a ounce of silver
    as of now 1 gram value is around $42 a touch more then 2 oz silver
    it is some thing to marvel at that the value is very disproportionate in size
    FOR NOW who's to say what will be.

So my first 1 gram purchase was $49 $7 over spot . Is this a good direction I am going in
    I don't have the money to buy an ounce of gold . 1/10 ounce coin stacks will be my pride and joy
    in the long run .

2. Naphthalene Man

Naphthalene Man Active Member Silver Stacker

my suggestion is not to worry about the gram bars etc, They are too small. You would be better saving a bit longer and getting the 1/10oz current year lunar coin if that size is what you intend to stack. That way in a few years it will appreciate unlike the bars which ride the spot wave.

It is also nice once you have a small stack behind you to collect the 1/10 coins eg Britannia, krug, panda, libertad, maple, Philly, roo etc etc

3. Mr Medved

Mr Medved Member

Save up and buy an ounce. If that is out of your reach go for a 1/4 ounce or sovereign. I find anything less than a 1/4 ounce too fiddly and anything less than 1 ounce with annoying premiums.

4. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I wouldn't go any smaller than 1/4 oz.

I have a few gram bars but they are underwhelming to say the least.

I have some 1/4 oz Maples, they are ok but too small to get excited over.

If I get any more I will look at the 1oz size but for the moment I am buying silver.

5. copperhead

copperhead Active Member

All said and done putting aside money for larger amounts is best
    ( Even if only to avoid higher premium )

But gold is gold One Gram per week EVENTUALLY will look impressive
    discipline to spend on Gold instead of wasteful items (we all know what they are )
    will result in wealth

6. SilverKendo

SilverKendo New Member

I like 1/10 oz gold coins. The premium is higher but I like the size and feel of them. Don't get me wrong 1 oz is great but beyond my means at this point. I would get maybe one 1 oz a year. I can get several 1/10 oz and won't have to hold the cash for a whole year (I doubt it would last that long anyway lol).

7. copperhead

copperhead Active Member

Gotta buy as you can .

Sure save up a year and what happens if gold spikes for a year or so
    & true cash seems to get spent . Precious metals seem like a good barricade
    sure they can be cashed in, but it's a great warning when you cash in
    you know you have a problem . I guess just like a country when they need dump there gold or silver .

1/10 sounds like my ticket also .
    Now I'm hoping gold stays low long enough for me to catch up,
    then again could go lower ??

8. Pirocco

Pirocco Well-Known Member

If I had so few money left, that I can barely buy a few gram gold, I would just keep the fiat or already buy now something that I would need to buy later anyway.
    Fiat, AND precious metals, are just inbetween steps to what you really wanted. It isn't worth the hassle, the cost and the risk, to use an inbetween step that can easily be avoided at all.

9. SilverKendo

SilverKendo New Member

I have pretty bad impulse control and I have several hobbies that eat a lot of money (antique Japanese swords, musical instruments, comic books, numi coins etc). Buying small amounts several times through the year is easier than saving for one larger purchase. Really PMs are a form of savings for me anyway so it would be redundant to save fiat for gold.

10. DanielM

DanielM Active Member Silver Stacker

I would have to recomend unallocated here, it allows you yo buy whenever you like so don't miss out if gold spikes and you can convert into larger pieces.

For example, I was buying one or two ounces of unallocated silver every few weeks last year and then when the horses were released I redeemed the unallocated. When the horses were released spot was around A$26 per ounce but my unallocated averaged out to around A$21 per ounce so I saved around $50 on 10 coins where as the other half of the roll I paid a spot of A$26 per ounce (plus premium ofcorse)

11. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Consider continuing to buy silver, and when you have the equivalent of an ounce of gold's worth of silver, sell the silver and buy gold, or do a swap with someone.

Otherwise, save the cash and buy 1/10oz coins.

Almost any way you do it with physical, you will lose premium buying in small fractional pieces.

12. copperhead

copperhead Active Member

unallocated does seem interesting and I am sure you get the physical item
    ( during good times ) But can you get nothing if the SHTF

13. Makro

Makro New Member

at most local coin shops cant you save up 10 grams and then trade it in for a ten gram bar? so to say?

14. Midnight Man

Midnight Man Member Silver Stacker

You will be killed on the premiums you will pay on buying such small amounts on a weekly basis.

Perhaps consider buying the grams and putting them to an unallocated account, saving the grams and then redeeming for 1/2 or 1 ounce items as you've been able to save the amounts aside? Goldstackers offers exactly this type of service, and perhaps other buillion dealers do too.

15. craig12

craig12 New Member

for what its worth and im new to stacking myself I wouldn't buy anything less than 20grams of gold after receiving my 5 gram bar its very tiny,
    the websites show them much larger with no sizes given of the product, go on you tube type in the item youre interested in to see someone showing you the actual items, unboxing it
    aren't unboxing videos addictive

16. copperhead

copperhead Active Member

My silver gold store is getting a few 1/10 oz coins so if I want I can put down $50 and make weekly payments
    naturally gold goes up I pay higher price gold goes down I sill have to pay the day of deposit price

But this way I'll make it happen
    no real time limit but he likes not to go over a few months
    coins kept in safe at store with tally sheet one for them one for me
    -------------------------

17. Brzt

Brzt Active Member

I normally buy sovereigns or 10g gold coins. But I have brought some .11 ounce coins before, however I brought 10 in one hit to reduce the premium...

Avoid small gold and save for the bigger stuff...

18. SilverKendo

SilverKendo New Member

I just got two 2.5 gold pesos coins for below spot and a 2 pesos coin with just a few dollar premium over spot. Nice little coins and they seem much cheaper than other small gold with little or no premium (even APMEX puts a low premium on them). You may want to keep your eye out for them. They look nice and feel good in hand. They are .900 gold and the rest copper so they have a reddish hue like Krugerrands. They are tough as nails so you don't have to worry about them like Philharmonics or Maples.

Cheers,
    Chris

19. Pirocco

Pirocco Well-Known Member

Btw, in the end, antique Japanese swords, musical instruments, comic books, numi coins are just products like gold. It's not 'consuming' like going out eating, vacation trips, etc. In some future, you can sell the former again, just like gold, and there is no reason why you would get less or more than gold. Those that bought gold at $1900 in recent years, could have better done with antique Japanese swords.

20. copperhead

copperhead Active Member

Certainly as long as there are people with peaceful lives and time to have hobbies , many things are a better investment . Pez - bottle caps - many things people fork over money for . BUT and it's a big ONE . If cataclysmic monetary situations occur . Frivolous items will be put on hold .
    Still what you say does represent the human spirit . Our push to collect things is our hope the future will be normal . No doubt food - water - protection items . In reality could be the best investment . Military surplus sell boxes of survival food .