gram bars in a world currency crash

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by craig12, Apr 8, 2014.

1. craig12

craig12 New Member

if the world currency crash should happen and gold was a way of surviving and paying for weekly essentials / is the 1gramm and 5 gramm what would be required to survive,
    so im not talking about making money over spot as a profit, but if the gold was required as a weekly survival payment for , food,
    im tring to think how you would pay for essentials with a coin worth 830 , :rolleyes:

2. SpacePete

SpacePete Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

For everyday needs, I think we'd be using silver rather than gold, or maybe just bartering of goods.

Gold is better for wealth preservation through the crash and into the recovery.

3. craig12

craig12 New Member

very good reply silver pete , I never thought of it like that , putting it like that silver makes perfect sense for purchases that can be bought in silver maples etc,
    which would lead me to the next nonsense question
    if it could lead to swapping silver for food,goods,etc would the bars be a bit of a none starter , coins seem to make much more sense

4. SpacePete

Coins because people are more familiar with those objects. But it all depends how bad and how long the crash. I think there are few if any scenarios where we revert to a nice, peaceful agrarian society trading coins for necessities.

More likely it will be something like a prison economy where the currency is cigarettes and blowjobs traded for services like protection and access to food.

5. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Just hoard food and swap it for all of the silver that stackers hoarded. End the crisis with lots of silver instead.

6. SpacePete

You can't go wrong with a hoard of freeze dried coffee, cigarettes and beer making supplies. Bonus level: stack aspirin, condoms and female-related supplies.

7. Old Codger

Old Codger Active Member Silver Stacker

Whatever, it must be readily negotiable.

A bit of gold may well not be so in a supermarket car-park, or a farmers market. The other bloke may may have NIL idea of values.

Trying to sell to a dealer when the government says "100 Points for every transaction" will be difficult if not impossible. Different denominations for different transactions and circumstances.

Barter WILL be the name of the game.

JMO

OC

8. Shamatti

Shamatti Member

I have 1/4 and 1/2 oz silver and some round 50c coins for "crash crises spending" if you like. And some very small gold for the same. 1 Oz silver coins will also go down well.
    I also have some larger gold for investment. If we do come though a crash then I will have preserved some wealth. If we don't I will have it for bigger bribes as required!

9. Old Codger

SP,

"You can't go wrong with a hoard of freeze dried coffee, cigarettes and beer making supplies. Bonus level: stack aspirin, condoms and female-related supplies."

Agree on most of that but some are expensive and I try to keep to small, inexpensive and easy to keep. Above all, needed by mother and baby. In Berlin 1945/6 cigarettes were a currency, even between desperate women with nothing left to sell but themselves, but then fags were cheap, not like now.

Soap, toothbrushes and paste, TOILET PAPER!!! sugar! (cheap) instant coffee. milk powder etc.

OC

10. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Valcambi CombiBar http://www.combibar.com/

You will be rich after the crash!

However you need to be rich now in order to buy them.

I would stack rice, coffee, toothpaste and toilet rolls if I had the space. but I don't, so I will have to deplete my silver stash, at least I have room to store it.

11. Old Codger

They look good.

Agree on the rice, and would add porridge (rolled oats). Toilet rolls are going to be a good 'investment'.

Wives are not too happy with the yellow pages like in the '30s.

OC

12. Old Codger

I see that GoldStackers are retailing these 1Gr sheets.

A price on 100x 1gr SILVER chips? and 20x 1gr GOLD chips?

Just curious!

OC

13. Jislizard

Ridiculous premiums!

I had one dealer refuse to stock them because of the 50% premium on the 10x 10g Silver and last time I bought a 1g gold is was something like $52.

I bought 100x1g and they look pretty nice but not a cheap way of buying silver, that's for sure.

Not sure why they thought of this marketing tool, it was either because of the GFC and everyone thought we would be using silver to buy bread when the currencies collapsed, or it was because of silver going to da moon and no one would be able to afford 10oz bars or even 1oz coins.

Either way I can't see them selling many. Quite a few have been split up into individual ingots. I am keeping mine whole on the grounds that when they discontinue this product it might have some historical/numismatic value.

14. Old Codger

I was thinking in terms of a slot in the valuation table.

Maybe like a $1 or $2 coin is now.

OC

15. Jislizard

Wow, just revisited their site and they have expanded the range to cover Palladium and Platinum as well as being able to buy smaller amounts

https://www.valcambigold.com/category/51-combibars-info.aspx

Scroll down to the bottom and the prices look OK, won't be putting together a collection any time soon though.

16. Old Codger

$66 shipping, and 0.45% insurance!

17. Jislizard

For that price I would want an armoured car to drop them off.

I guess if a group buy occured it might lessen the damage but we tried that once before and although a few people wanted to buy two tiny ingots so they could snap them in half, there wasn't much interest in the high premiums.

18. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

These divisible bars do have really high wholesale premiums, which are reflected in the retail prices. Compared to say 50x individual gold 1g bars from Perth Mint, they are about $5/g cheaper to buy as a 50g combibar, but they are a bit gimmicky. That said, they do sell well.

19. bricklayer

bricklayer New Member

While silver might be used for smaller purchases once people have adjusted to a context where they accept this, there are some possible situations in the middle of the worst of financial collapses that might warrant having small amounts of gold in an easily accessible form, such as the Combi Bar. For some real-life examples of this during Argentina's collapse, check out Fernando Aguirre's The Modern Survival Manual: Surviving the Economic Collapse.

20. Jislizard

Would you need to pay duty on the Palladium and Platinum CombiBars if you import them?