Today I found in my change...............

Discussion in 'Numismatics' started by hiho, Oct 28, 2012.

1. serial

serial Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

yeh that's actually a 2005 coin
    very common

2. Shamatti

Shamatti Member

LOL, So as much as I had great frun for a couple of hours last night looking through a heap of booring coins, it was ultimately a futile exorcise? :rolleyes:

3. serial

no it can be fun sometimes. the term for it is "noodling' coins. I go through anywhere from $2k - 10k work of coins each week looking for varients, rare dates, errors etc. gives me something to do in front of the tv.
    get to know your banks and they will often let you have rolls of coins so long as you bag them neatly when you return them and don't be rude!
    I do notes as well, all up I would estimate that over 1 mill has passed through these hands in the last 12 months

4. sammysilver

sammysilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

My first Coronation coin of the year. From my coffee shop. Got two poppies last week. The coffee shop is a cash business dealing in coins with a large clientele. They look out for coins for me, so if this is any indication, I reckon we are reaching the point of none left in circulation.

5. Bank Manager

Bank Manager Member Silver Stacker

Which notes do you look for? radar, running, ladder, solid etc? or are you looking for new unc polymer notes?

Do you find much in the bags?

Have got quite a few notes with same serial number different prefix, odds of getting them together once circulated v slim!

6. serial

all of them plus test notes, end and 1st series notes
    generally I keep about $10 worth of coins out of every $1000 due to date or error
    you will spend more time looking than you make selling them but it is fun to me so I don't mind.
    however if you find the "right " coin then it can pay or big time.
    mules, incuse 50 cents, split planchet, double sided coins, incorrect planchet coins - these can all be big pay days
    but they are incredibly rare!
    oh and you have to wash your hands 3 or 4 times at the end as they get ddiiirrttyyy!
    some fav serial numbers
    $100
    CF98717749
    AN96915132
    AA98254452

7. Shamatti

Shamatti Member

I don't understand how you get all the coins and notes. Do you just order a few rolls, check them, and then return them?
    Are rolls not new coins? Do they re-roll used coins for redistribution?

8. 10ozhound

10ozhound Active Member

Baffled.
    CF98717749
    AN96915132

Why?

9. serial

cf is a last series note for that year book value is around $2100 for aunc
    an 96 is a 1st series test note book value 1950 in aunc
    both hard to find notes but I have a good relationship with some banks and one would let me go through a quarter of a mill at a time in a secure area. unfortunately that had to stop recently due to security concerns :(
    "I don't understand how you get all the coins and notes. Do you just order a few rolls, check them, and then return them?
    Are rolls not new coins? Do they re-roll used coins for redistribution?"
    again box of roses and good manners go a long way.
    they get rolls in for me and I bag them neatly and return to several different banks.
    don't abuse them and you will wont get blacklisted

10. Fjpod

Fjpod Member

Found a gem proof 1961 Jefferson nickel. Mirror finish. No noticeable scratches and just a hint of natural toning. Not worth a fortune, but is a striking coin. Pocket change...

11. ecc

ecc Member

Book value is not a true indication of prices, McDonalds price book is a joke and i don't understand why it's quoted when you don't get anywhere near those prices.. CF's and AN's would be lucky to fetch a quarter of those quoted prices unless a halfwit comes along that doesn't know the true value of notes.

I remember when Judy Shaw was assigned by Greg McDonald to price Banknotes, because she had hundreds and hundreds of 1985 $20 Johnston/Fraser Gothic notes in stock she set ridiculous prices so she could benefit from it. $700 book price in Unc and they sell for this http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1985-Aus...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557 whats that tell you about the book.

12. Andy28

Andy28 Well-Known Member

Would still be happy with a quarter book price on those if I got them for face value!

13. ecc

ecc Member

Who wouldn't but that's not my point.

14. serial

+1 hence why I collect them
    and ecc I know book value is a joke. but it is an indication of value.
    and some notes do actually sell for close to book but they are mostly pre-decimal
    decimal will have its day, there is just a limited market for them atm.
    a quick glance at the silver stackers sales thread to see an example of a prime note that doesn't get any interest despite its high cv
    I guarantee that in 20 years that wont be the case

15. ecc

ecc Member

Maybe you want to double check how pre decimal notes are going.. At the last downies auction they were no where near book prices, the last Nobles Auction was the same, the last IAG auction the same and ebay is no where near book prices either.

A good friend of mine who i virtually see every day and was the previous ANDA president had a meeting at the Perth ANDA fair a few weeks ago with all the other dealers and was telling how pathetic prices were, they were seriously worried where it's all heading. The market was inflated with pathetic book prices and it's all caught up now. Along with a few high profile dealers going bankrupt, Peter Strich about to close, Bendigo Coins closing, a few other dealers feeling the pinch and hundreds of collectors being burnt the coin and banknote market is pretty piss poor at the moment.

Chris Busnell from Pacific Coins and Chris Meallin manager of Downies Auction were also telling me the same thing last week so i'd say your pretty optimistic. To be honest i can't see anything changing in 20 years, you can't make the big profits investing in coins or notes like you could so the big players are dropping off and they were the ones propping up the market.

16. serial

I may be optimistic but when I have a chance to put a note aside for face value that has a high CV then I figure its a reduced gamble. the problem you have with the collectors market is that most collectors are dying off. the average age of a collector at any perth coin show is mid 60s with very little people under 30. when people born circa70's/80's start getting nostalgic and have sufficient disposable income to purchase coins/notes from their youth for personal enjoyment rather than as an "investment" then you will see prices increase again as they compete for the best examples.

in the mean time you have a market that has inflated as a result of people pushing coins/notes to other people as an investment and not something to enjoy owning like a piece of mini artwork. the Rare coin company was a good example of that, how many people owned rare coins/notes because they were told its a good buy and not because they actually wanted to own that coin/note because of its history and what it is.

as for pre decimal note values
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Australi...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
    book value is $3150 on this 61 star 1 pound note the item sold for $2899. that's not bad when you consider my CF note wouldnt sell for $500 atm
    but 20 years from now...

17. ecc

ecc Member

I did say if a halfwit came along that didn't know the value of notes, obviously one did come along on that star note.. If you know anything about notes then you would know that it is grossly over graded and whoever purchased it will be disappointed when he goes to sell it.. It has been washed and pressed. The note was offered by Nobles in auction number 96 as lot number 4837 https://www.noble.com.au/auctions/lot/?id=270189 and it wasn't bid on http://www.noble.com.au/auctions/prices?sale=96&s=l1&p=20 then it went back up in auction 97 as lot number 3113 http://www.noble.com.au/auctions/lot/?id=278942 again it did not attract any bids http://www.noble.com.au/auctions/prices?sale=97&s=l1&p=13 because everyone that viewed it would have picked up on it being washed and pressed, then the original owner whacks it on ebay and gets a stooge hook line and sinker.. That will happen from time to time, however those stooges will be discouraged when they go to sell items to the point that they will be lost to collecting numismatics for ever which is another downer to the industry.

18. serial

look I could show you several examples of where pre decimals have sold well but you could also show me many that have not. but the fact is they do better than rare decimals atm by a country mile
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/100-DOLL...221364729842?pt=AU_Coins2&hash=item338a5db7f2
    2 test notes with a combined cv of at least $2000 selling for $350
    now you show a pre decimal note that has sold for 1/6th of its cv value?
    anyway moot point. I collect decimals with "high CV's" for face value. its a hobby that I believe will pay of down the track. worse comes to worse I lose some money in lost interest.
    you notice I kept one note because it is a radar? I did that because I wanted it, not because its worth a fortune
    has to be better than collecting stamps :)

19. ecc

ecc Member

I'm not saying your going to loose out by collecting like you do, far from it when you get it at face value.. What i am saying is that the book values are way off and shouldn't even be quoted.. As a dealer i'm sick of telling people that their collections aren't worth what they think because they think book price is gospel.

20. serial

totally agree with you there!!!!!
    or worse yet when they go "its really old so it must be worth heaps!!!"
    you then show them book value and they go "no mine is worth more than that":lol: