Still strong

Discussion in 'Silver' started by gazzahere, Jan 10, 2014.

1. wrcmad

wrcmad Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Yeah, I told my Missus not to worry about anything - I'm not an investor, nor a trader... I'm a stacker so I can't lose, no matter what happens to price.
    She looked at me blankly, then called me a total dickhead. I know this was a term of endearment. :)

2. Pirocco

Pirocco Well-Known Member

False stacker = always tell others to do what benefits themselves instead of others.
    During the $30>$50 I saw the False Stackers telling others to buy.
    During the $50>$20 I saw, and see, the False Stackers telling others to sell.
    In both cases, the False Stackers did the opposite.

3. Pirocco

Why on Earth would silver buy X times what it buys now?
    I thought the goal of a True Stacker (capitalized of course) was to preserve, not to gain?
    And about practical problems, well, some True People have practical solutions haha. If people lack smaller change, the shop can start selling week 'subscriptions'.
    I think True Stackers prefer assets instead of promises. Especially in cases of alot promises and little backing them up.

4. gazzahere

gazzahere Member Silver Stacker

Evening all,

Just a quick read before bed. Obviously, a couple of you will never get it. I am holding metal which is passed down from about 70 years ago.
    I also hold metal that I found, bought and traded a few decades ago. I wouldn't have a clue on the price paid. You would never understand that.
    It is not that a stacker will never sell - sell isn't even a sensible term - moreso to convert if necessary would be more accurate.

From these few posts I reckon if you aren't a stacker, you can't understand a stacker.

I can understand people trading in metal. I can understand stacking. I can understand collecting pm's. I have difficulty seeing why one would invest in pm's, but, each to their own.

Have a great night all. Whatever else, we all like the metal, no matter what our reasons.

Gazza.

5. Pirocco

The spot price contains a bogus part, meaning that in a degree, it hides reality for as long as the futures market position holders hold.
    Why? Because the % of futures contracts actually delivered, is very low. Most just get cancelled instead. That's also because the futures market is merely a profit versus hedging against loss due to these profithunters - environment. It's <during> the position existence that profit and loss is realized, its % end (cancellation/rollover) is just a sidestory.
    Over the period 2009-early 2011, they maintained/held a 50000-size position all the time, as to make silver more expensive for silver stackers and silver ETF shares buyers (the make them pay fat period). For ex, a silver dealer can take 2 futures long positions of 5000 ounces for every 10000 ounces he sells, driving up the silver price at 2 times the rate than the stackers would have caused.
    Over the period mid 2011-early 2013, they became the main price driver, as to bring cycles to cause greed concerns and fear (the shake 'm off period)
    Mid april 2013, some large non-ETF/stackers stocks (maybe new production) were sold, bringing $20.
    And now, they expect ETF holders/stackers to sell back to them. At $20, and Please Please Please lower. For the next Rinse And Repeat.
    And this does work, as indicated by:
    <date> <futures positions of 5000oz, net total longs minus shorts total of both supply and demand side> <spot price>
    07/01/2014 25529 $19.7
    17/12/2013 19245 $19.87
    26/11/2013 16428 $19.88
    06/08/2013 10300 $19.43
    30/07/2013 8307 $19.85
    See what's going on?
    The amount futures contracts rises, at a same price.
    This way, they prevented the spot price from dropping due to people selling.
    When times comes buy, they will again cancel the contracts, and then the next high red candlestick shows up.
    Of course, depending on economical > speculative trends.
    It's not only on the silver market. It's a component of the macro economical strategy of the central planners and their parasiting buddyclubs.
    But to return to your statement, a $20 price is not holding, since its actually buy&hold component is still shrinking.
    Only when you see a higher spot price at a same net total contracts, you can really talk about a holding price.

6. Naphthalene Man

Naphthalene Man Active Member Silver Stacker

Not me, I sold my ark for a mountain. Now I'm looking for more wood for a new ark for when the bigger floods come. :/

Kinda hard when my existing trees are being used for shelter from all the sun.

7. Phiber

Phiber Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

No disrespect, but wouldn't this money have been more productive over 70 years if invested (or parked if you prefer the term) in another vehicle?

Sell, convert to fiat - no matter how you decide to call it, it's the same.

I understand holding some metals as an insurance policy - I do see some of my holdings as such - but the bulk of the people on this board are buying in the hope the value of the metals increase over the next 10 or so years. If you never actually intend to sell unless forced to, then why bother with this chart in your original post and speculating $19 will hold. Doesn't mater if it goes down to $15, $9 or $5 for that matter.

Agreed :)

8. klacey

klacey New Member

Congrates on looking to make your first purchase Tommy. From what I can understand the price usually goes up when people start to loss faith in there currency and look for real assets, the higher the value of gold/silver the less faith in the $/ etc. But im no expert and think the whole thing is probably rigged. :D Im sure someone else here has a much clearer and better explaination.

9. TommyGunn

TommyGunn New Member

That was my understanding of what I read . I had not read anything about an effect of supply and demand . Maybe just the simple rule of supply and demand holds true , but I don't see it making any significant changes to PM prices .

From what I have read (only been researching about a week now ) I think the PM market IMO needs to , and is manipulated by the government .

10. Phiber

Phiber Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Don't let yourself be manipulated by the permabulls and the ones with a vested interest - such as Malooneys and Shiff: these guys' business is selling precious metals to others - hence, they are bullish, no doubt!
    The manipulation stories have been around for ever and take all this with a grain of salt - there's a big doomsday brigade backing these sorts of statements and certain "information" sources (silver doctors for instance) scream manipulation daily. Also, if you truly believe this story you might want to ask yourself if you want to take part in a game that's manipulated by very large players and where you are and always will be a tiny tiny fish bound to be on the losing end of any manipulation.

Just try and use your real world common sense when approaching all this and don't let yourself be taken in by all the misinformation that goes around.

Good luck to you!

11. Contrarian

Contrarian New Member

Never question your decisions and hold on forever= idiot

C

12. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

I thought that was the definition of a hoarder. :D

13. Pirocco

I never saw that 'definition', so it's likely just some made-up construct haha, to criticize people that refuse to sell now instead wait for higher prices.
    It's as silly as 'blaming' bank depositors to buy dollars and hold them forever. That's not true, savings are just postponed spendings, and this is for silver, or any asset used in this monetary role, not different.
    But I can understand why some blamers like others to 'not hold' their 'position', since they're looking to buy back in and want a cheapskate cheapo.

14. gazzahere

Morning all,

".....- but the bulk of the people on this board are buying in the hope the value of the metals increase over the next 10 or so years. If you never actually intend to sell unless forced to, then why bother with this chart in your original post and speculating $19 will hold. Doesn't mater if it goes down to $15, $9 or $5 for that matter."

Arrr, I was wondering who would ask that. :)

Most people here as you said are here for an expected increase in value. - indeed, most think in terms of price increase and no further.

They are not stackers at all. They are exactly why I put the graph up with commentary.

I watch the price/ graph as well - but only for dips for cheap buying opportunity. I also trade higher premium for base metal if I get things with premium - at least enough to make it worth it.

As to your question whether the metal from years ago would have been better in some other investable form.

I don't believe so. One, there would be no stack and hence no philosophy and far more importantly, other forms of funds or investment are often changed, cashed in or put at risk.

For some odd reason I, and many others keep metal as a last resort - don't ask me why, but it is a habit I have noticed.

I know one guy who lives quite modestly, one would say even poorly - but, he has 10's of kilos of gold. He has been stacking gold since he was a teenager and he is in his fifties now.

He says if he hadn't done it that way he would have spent it or lost it. - at least that's one reason.

Gold is good like that - out of sight, out of mind.

Personally, if I am not in a position to buy, I sometimes don't even look at the price for long periods - it matters not.

As to eventually converting to cash to use - that has not been my experience - I have acquired many things with the payment of metals.
    People jest about buying things with gold, well, maybe I meet different people or something, but, I have often found people willing to trade.

I have bought meals, equipment etc.. I also know a bloke - a car dealer who sold a new car for a large nugget as the bulk of the payment.

Adjustments can be done in cash or other - many things are possible. Btw, it would be very easy ATM to buy real estate with gold or silver - very easy IMO.

So, for people to joke and say they can't believe the day will come when you can buy things with it? - well, they are already here and have been for a long time.

Coles/woollies, probably not - but, your local servo and independent shops - you might be very surprised.

Have a great day all

Gazza:)

15. TommyGunn

TommyGunn New Member

Thank you for the info . I don't know who Mallony and shiff are but assume they are on this site . I think the manipulation needs to be there to keep other countries in check , I don't think it has anything to do with the little guys . I don't think they are doing it to keep the people from making a profit .

16. gazzahere

morning all again,

" I think the manipulation needs to be there to keep other countries in check , I don't think it has anything to do with the little guys . I don't think they are doing it to keep the people from making a profit ."

which ever way you cut it --------- governments have been interfering with gold and silver personal ownership basically for ever.

Confiscation history from the last century alone is enough to tell you the story.

governments have also confiscated and made forms of paper money extinct.

The also have a strong track record of taxing the hell out of fixed immovable assets ------------ big things you can't hide.

Lately, they have signalled strongly that they think it perfectly ok practice to just take money out of your bank ---------- in large amounts, to fund their stuff ups. They also haven't exactly gone to great lenghts to say they won't do it again, nor others who haven't done it yet - they haven't stood up strongly and said they won't do it if they feel the need either.

So, whether it is to keep other countries in check or whether it has nothing or something to do with the little guys -----------------------------

don't miss this point --

IT IS THE LITTLE GUYS WHO PAY THROUGH THE NOSE.

Enter gold and silver.

If you have got it and no one knows you have got it --------------- and, it is out of sight -------------

don't miss this point ---

'the bastards won't come looking for it' and, if they do

'they won't find it'

Now all those history things I mentioned above are NOT opinion -------- they are FACT -------- and some of them very recently.

If you have a pot of gold buried in your back yard --- I don't give a toss how much you paid for it ------------------ it IS worth something and always will be.

Compare that to the funds taken from the accounts of Greek Cypriots.
    compare that to massive taxes and confiscations in the past.

There is no comparison ------- it is chalk and cheese.

Never ever think at present that the world is a safe place economically -------------------------- green shoots or not ---------- the planet is a basket case.

The price you paid for gold and silver is totally irrelevant if those green shoots are either bullshit or predators eat the shoots and the economies and currencies collapse.

Think it is over the top?

Well, there is general agreement that the world came so close to the edge in 2008 that you could feel the updraft ---------- plenty of opinion on that one.

Well ------------ what's different?

Some good things ------------ but, also -------- MUCH more debt, power shifting, bond bubbles, huge derivative positions - on an on and on ---------- imo, a volatile mix waiting for a spark.

If we get a good breeze and the mix blows away ------------- all good.

But, if we get a spark at the wrong time?? Bang.

Those who hold their metal -------------- no matter how much they paid for it -------- will be so bloody glad they have it -------------- so glad, even the wife will stop whining :)

Storing wealth in gold and silver has been around for thousands of years.

In many parts of the world it is still very fashionable ------------ and, central banks STILL acquire large amounts of it -- ask yourself why?

have a great day all

gazza:)

17. PAGAU

PAGAU New Member

I consider myself a long term stacker with a 17 year outlook., I just buy on the dips and that means under AU$20. Although I have a positive outlook, I see things getting incrementally worse for the small guy. Compare now with 8 years ago, what has happened to confidence?

In general, Property was considered relatively safe to invest in, not any more, Cash in the bank was seen as a safe place to put cash, not any more, gold (and silver?) was seen as a safe haven... and now that confidence is being actively eroded. At least with shares you knew they were volatile, you could lose a lot, quickly, (just like your share-based Super Fund :/ ) and you still can. :)

It seems the future is more of a shell-game, where you have to stay one step ahead, and try to dodge the financial bullets.

18. Stackman

Stackman Member Silver Stacker

:D

Mike Maloney owns GoldSilver.com and wrote the definitive newbie book "Guide to Investing In Gold and Silver".

Peter Schiff is the head of Euro Pacific Capital and a respected commentator on all things to do with precious metals.

19. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

Please name one central bank that has any silver. Gold is money. Silver used to be money but now it is an industrial commodity.

20. TommyGunn

TommyGunn New Member

Lol I haven't read anything from them but I read this and it seemed like all marketing sales pitch to me .

https://www.usgoldbureau.com/free-i...=36069542959&gclid=COTbio666bsCFUpnOgodWkYAOA