Missing PAMP 1kg. Is there a serial number register?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by mikedm, Sep 17, 2013.

1. willrocks

willrocks Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Shipping bullion is against their terms and conditions.

I would say it's a metal sample. Or some other terminology.

2. Gunna

Gunna Member Silver Stacker

Only for international:

http://auspost.com.au/parcels-mail/sending-valuable-items.html

3. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Think you will find that applies domestically as well.

Would be *really* useful for the community to know more details about how the item was shipped, as in type of packaging etc - out of thousands and thousands of bullion deliveries, the only one we've ever had an issue with was a courier forging the "authority to leave" card. Never had bullion removed from packaging while in transit.

Secure packaging and oversize bags/boxes to disguise the weight is VERY important.

4. mikedm

mikedm New Member

Okay.

Packaging: padded Aus post parcel I think the second size up from the smallest.

This is why I am adopting the risk in good faith on this occasion:
    1) I had not secured the parcel properly, meaning I did not use packing tape to secure the top of the package, this is why I think the item just fell out, however a photo of the parcel shows that it ripped which is possible because of the weight of the bar. I should have brought some packing tape to the post office or asked for some.
    2) we agreed to use Plat Post and I read the quote incorrectly and sent it registered.
    3) the buyer sent me his ebay profile with 100% feedback plus other indicators of his integrity.

The bar was wrapped and labelled so there is no indication it is anything but 1kg of solid metal. I have already registered it on the site above and put a lost and found claim with Aus Post.

5. mikedm

mikedm New Member

The PPSR registration number for the bar is 201309170040123

6. willrocks

willrocks Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Years ago I had an ebay seller basically put a 1kg bar straight into an express plastic bag. The bar had one very thin layer of bubble wrap. The bag had a hole in it when it arrived. I was lucky it didn't escape.

Everyone I've dealt with on SS has packaged items much better. Usually in cardboard and multiple thick layers of bubble wrap.

7. Newtosilver

Newtosilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

In the past I have had 10 x 10 oz bars turn up in a plastic post bag loose and I thought "are you fxxxx crazy" but they got here.
    Another time I have had 220 x 1966 round 50's turn up in a plastic bag in the parcel post bag but you could feel the coins clear as day. The woman at the post office asked me what they were? I mumbled and changed the subject.

Not having a go at anyone but you need to be careful how you pack stuff, I have been lucky twice.

8. bloomst

bloomst Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

well i guess this is a reminder...items do goes missing on transit, and most of us is under insured on private dealing.

I would be suprise if you can claim the full kg price, as anything that has that much $$$ value on it, would probably fall under valuables.

Than you for sharing

9. Caput Lupinum

Caput Lupinum Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I've had a similar experience getting a postal satchel ripped in the corner from the weight of the bar shifting around inside it and nearly falling out. On the few occasions that I do sell I wrap it like its going in one of those pass the parcel kids party's games. Bubble wrap, cardboard, more bubble wrap, more cardboard, sticky tape, toothpaste/oreo cookie cardboard container if it's small enough, more sticky tape.

10. Numismatist

Numismatist New Member

Putting this Australia Post Debarkle aside, now what happens if a PAMP Bullion bar is stolen.

If the certificate is still held and then a Police report filed surely there should be an easy way for Dealers and Buyers to check and verify the origins of bars being sold.

Is there a Police database publically available to dealers regarding stolen goods?

Of course having certificates and serial numbers helps if the Police come knocking, however we all know very rarely are they proactive in chasing goods from common theft.

http://www.police.nsw.gov.au/news/m...vdi5hdSUyRm1lZGlhJTJGMzIxNzEuaHRtbCZhbGw9MQ==

11. Numismatist

Numismatist New Member

12. bloomst

bloomst Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

But who would honestly check the pamp bar they just bought?

13. mikedm

mikedm New Member

I guess it is due diligence to ensure that there are no prior claims on items that you are purchasing: whether it is a house, a car, a shetland pony, whatever it is. More than one person might have very good arguments why they are the owners of a particular item. In a court these arguments are weighed up, and only the claims of those before the court at that time are considered (someone higher in the pecking order might not be before the court). Usually having your claim registered somewhere gives a legal form to your claim, like having a contract in writing as opposed to verbal, which is very strong evidence you are the rightful owner. It does not matter that people don't check the register, that is their effort/risk tradeoff.

Anyways, I didn't want this to be about post, I just wanted to know if there was a register for PAMPs. This was a one off thing, and I'm not eliminating the possibility that something else happened to the parcel in the chain of hands it went through. I have taken the risk here to make good on the failings on my side of the bargain and to uphold my integrity.
    Thanks
    Mike

14. mikedm

mikedm New Member

Discussion Thread
    Response Via Email (Nicholas R) 07/11/2013 04.47 PM
    Hello Mr ****

Thank you for taking the time to contact us about the missing bullion that you have informed Australia post did not arrive in the parcel post package 63300880078069 that it was sent in. I am sorry to hear when this article has arrived to your intended recipient, the contents were not included.

An exhaustive search was conducted using the details you provided to search our Returned Mail Centre (RMRC) database which is where undeliverable, damaged or loose items are logged and unfortunately, have not been able to locate a match for you against the metal bar (bullion) with the branding of "****" on it.

Under Australia Post conditions of carriage bullion cannot be sent. In referring to our dangerous, prohibited goods and packaging terms please refer to section D3.3 Other Goods Prohibited or Restricted in All Services. http://auspost.com.au/media/documents/dangerous-prohibited-goods-packaging-post-guide.pdf

As the item has not been located within the return mail centre Australia Post currently cannot assist you further for any claim on the item or packaging; however, in saying that if the article is processed through the return mail centre, Australia Post will contact you and provide a further outcome.

I hope that this information has clarified the matter and been of some assistance. Please let me know if you have any further questions. I'm sorry that I haven't been able to help you further.

Yours sincerely

Nicholas R | Digital Sales and Service | Australia Post
    Online Services Consultant

GPO Box 9911 In Your Capital City
    www.auspost.com.au

15. mikedm

mikedm New Member

This was after a 7 week long debacle after lodging a complaint for lost item (not specifying it was bullion), calling to check on the progress of it every 2 weeks (today was the last call and I made sure they dealt with it today).

16. goanna

goanna Member Silver Stacker

I've had thousands in coins sent simply in tubes and loosely packed in a Platinum post pack.
    Admittedly they are a fairly strong bag but it was not to hard to figure what was in it.

Might be useful if there was a sticky thread on how to package and send PMs via various means.
    Perhaps we could collaborate on this in order to create one. I'd be happy to act as a clearing house/editor/whatever.

17. DanDee

DanDee Active Member Silver Stacker

I would not sign for an empty bag with a hole torn in it, I'd get the postie to take it back.

18. boston

boston Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Sorry to hear that you are at a loss regarding the value of the Pamp.

If I am not mistaken, I would assume that it wouldn't be too hard to remove the serial number and just sell it as bullion, damaged, put through a melting-pot etc - I am sure there would be a ready market for AG at spot less, say 20%, no questions asked.

Not having Pamps, can someone confirm if this is possible, or otherwise?

19. Scyb

Scyb Member Silver Stacker

pamps get sold without COA all the time. I would say it sells for $10-20 less then a pamp with COA

20. danman49

danman49 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

You can walk into most pawnbrokers, gold/silver shops, bullion dealers and sell your pamp bars with or without a certificate for the same price as pretty well any other 1kg bar. That it does or doesn't have a serial number does not enter into the equation at all. Most places will want your ID which can be a help if the serial numbers are later checked by police and you have registered them as stolen. Not sure if a COA would actually prove ownership though as that is usually done through receipts, though it may add some depth to your claim.