Ebay Trap - Selling NON silver bullion in the silver catagory BISMUTH

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by 1for1, Oct 18, 2013.

1. DanielM

DanielM Active Member Silver Stacker

The price wasn't about 3oz, it was bid upto that price

2. trew

trew Active Member Silver Stacker

Well I wouldn't know what bismuth was either.
    We didn't all memorize the periodic table for life.

This is clearly fraud as this is not silver.

Sick of shifty listings like this.

Fair enough to sell bismuth but the word silver should not appear in the listing as it is not silver!

3. AngloSaxon

AngloSaxon Active Member

If there is nothing wrong with the auction/seller why is it listed in the Silver section?

4. Zekealot

Zekealot Member Silver Stacker

Ebay only have limited categories so he couldn't exactly add it to the non-existent Bismuth category.

Also it's been a while since I listed anything but I remember the ebay listing tool even recommends to add it to multiple categories that you think will appeal to your buyers. ie people buying bullion of one type may be interested in other types.

If this guy had listed an oz of gold in the silver category would you care or would that be allowable as cross promotion?

5. AngloSaxon

AngloSaxon Active Member

I would definitely care, it frustrates me as a buyer on ebay to have to scroll through endless pages of junk that sits in the category I'm looking at. If I'm looking to buy silver that's because it is my preference or my price rangeIncluding gold on the same page because it is not in my price range in this occassion wastes my valuable time.

Bismuth in the silver category is still misleading. If that means Bismuth has to sit in the 'Other' or 'Industrial' metals category, good. If you physically go into a silver shop and the shopkeeper tries to sell you ingots of non-precious metals such as welding metal, you wouldn't waste your time would you, you'd walk out.

'Cross promotion' may sound harmless. When looking for car parts it is another waste of time when parts for entirely different brands end up in the product listing I need to find something in.