Premium minted silver bar

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Steve19800, Apr 18, 2013.

1. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Didn't you leave here already :rolleyes:

2. Kawa

Kawa New Member

Yes I did and I have come back to buy more bars.

Now that I answered that.

Have things changed since I have been away?

Are you still trying to sell stuff on here that you buy from car boots?

3. Steve19800

Steve19800 New Member

I think that is what forum is all about, asking advice and thoughts. Every customer is fussy that is why they are called customers not donators. I can see from your daily updated website about the buyback stock but what do you think when you visit a store, you are offered cracks, scratches packaging and milk spots on all of the bars offered and you are told that they are new stocks? You never know. Serious buyers want to pay for it but the various sizes of milk spots and the condition of packaging has brought me to my attention that close observation will be good enough to make a decision.

As mentioned above, first purchase was good. Second purchase I've been told insistently to just look at the products on the display. Since the first purchase had no issue, you made a payment and then you got the bar without even looked at it first. It was not a perfect one, certicard was slightly peeled at the edge packaging but I received the bar. What about the third one, you want me to repeat previous transaction and pay for all of those more expensive 'bullion' quality bars by imagining them on the display? What a nice customer not picky at all.

4. Steve19800

Steve19800 New Member

I am afraid taking picture is not possible as your vision are separated by the glass and you are not allowed even to touch them. I have bought expensive jewellery made from precious metal in the jewellery store with the door easily accessible for public to/from the public main road and I have never been treated like that. Security camera and doors are there for a reason. You are not installed them only to capture the carpet.

5. Auagau

Auagau Active Member

I pity the guy that sold you the expensive jewellery.

6. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Steve19800, I think that was me serving you this week. Now that I'm not pinned to a trade desk, let me respond to some of the points you've raised.

Certicards - these come with a protective plastic sheet coating from The Perth Mint. It is not always applied perfectly. Think of it as the throw-away screen protector that comes on a new mobile phone. It's put there by the mint to stop the actual card from being scratched during handling - but it's designed to be ripped right off. Sometimes the 5g size comes direct from the mint without it - but every other size from 10g to 10oz has this removable plastic sheeting. We recommend clients leave it on to preserve the condition of the certicard and avoid the card being scratched. It is *not* a product defect. Recently we did receive some 1oz certicards from the mint with cracked casing - they, like we can do with any other defective Perth product - were returned for the mint at their own expense who happily replaced them to maintain quality.

Perth Mint bars - the example posted by someone earlier in this thread of what they considered a fake Perth Mint silver bar is not - that is *most definitely* the condition that *new* silver bars come from The Perth Mint. Most bullion buyers are aware of this. The quality control over Perth Mint cast bars is non-existent. Frankly the bars look crap, but they are what they are - a cast bar of guaranteed fineness and weight. They are made at the mint's refinery division, which is a totally separate facility from the mint's Hay St minting operations from both a physical and a business unit perspective, and as most people are aware, from a quality control perspective as well. The cast bars from the mint are really just that - cast bars, they come with dents, they are packaged touching each other so that they rub against each other during the 3,400km road trip to get to us, they have casting residue on them from god knows what during the casting process, they're just plain ugly. We even disclose this on the product page for the kilo bar that you won't receive a bar that looks like the stock image. They do *not* look like the photoshopped images on the mint's websites. Neither do Big Macs. This is why we offer alternative cast products such as PAMP 1kg bars.

PAMP Suisse minted bars - the bars you were offered were *brand new*, direct from the authorised Australian distributor, from the very first batch in the country. The serial number on the bar is in the double digits, as is the serial number on all of the bars we've received in this new packaging. The remaining open box I had available for sale was received into stock about a week prior. As I explained during your visit to our store, the only other bars I had in that size were in a sealed, consecutive numbered box of five, which after checking was already committed to filling another customer's existing online order, so I couldn't open it for you to take your pick of. As it turns out there are fine milk spots on some of those bars - but they were apparent on all four of the bars we had on hand. We're on the back end of a three week rout of the precious metals market, it's been incredibly busy and stock on hand is running low, when you pointed out the milk spots on the random bar I grabbed from the box, I went back out to the vaults and brought out all of the other bars and let you inspect them (through the glass - clients are never handed bullion prior to payment because as I will explain below you are not "locked" in our office) to pick the best one, and spent considerable time doing so despite the small queue that was growing behind you, and then did the same for another PAMP product, which was a 10oz bar you saw me remove from the brown paper twin-pack packaging. That bar is in the old style stapled plastic case, which is brittle and turned out to be cracked when I removed it from the outer wrapping. I pointed this out and said I could get another if you were interested in that size. I know you were after the "perfect" bar as you described it, however what we had on hand is how the bars come - they are brand new bars. I'm sorry that they didn't live up to your expectations of a perfect bar.

We *never* pass off second hand stock as new. We have low premium categories in our catalog where our buybacks are sold, and more often that not due to the mostly outward flow of metal, we're supplying new products in those categories anyway. Been about a month since we had a buyback 10oz bar to sell because everyone is buying, not selling their metal. But guess what - someone is going to score a brand new PAMP 10oz bar with a cracked case when they order low premium 10oz bars this week, because that bar doesn't meet our expectations of what a new bar should be, and it will be cheaper to discount it and sell it as low premium than to pay the return shipping for an exchange.

Our display case is there for exactly that - display. We have a limited number of items in it, for a number of reasons - primarily for security (we don't want it to be a smash'n'grab magnet while customers are present), and insurance (our insurer will only insure a minimum amount of display bullion because of the security issues it creates, plus we need to pack it all away each night). If an item is on display, it's far faster to direct a customer to look at the item already out on display than to leave our retail room, go through security door into a vault room, open a safe (after finding the right one), pull a product out, and return to reception, when there's one less than 2m away from them on a display stand.

We are a bullion dealer. We have millions of dollars of product on hand. We have huge cash flows. Of course we have security cameras. Like every other bullion dealer in the Melbourne CBD (as are many others in other capital cities) we're in a mixed-usage office building. Who wants to be seen stepping out of a bullion dealer directly onto the street in front of dozens of strangers with a backpack or bag in your hand? On a weekly basis we have a customer come through the doors that is obviously casing the joint. Break-ins at other bullion dealers, jewellers and diamond merchants on the same block as us happen far more frequently than you think. The security is for both our protection and yours - we've spent a small fortune on the bullion counter and security fitout for customer protection - the likelihood of an armed holdup is massively reduced if there's interlocking doors, bullet proof glass and, as you say, security cameras 1m from your face - we would be the most "hardened facility" bullion dealer in Melbourne for customer security - the chances of an incident occuring while another customer is present is almost non-existent. In the 70s a visiting client at a diamond dealer was killed during a triple murder diamond heist in the building across from us on Collins St, simply because he was present during the holdup as a witness. We take our customers security very seriously. We have a separate client lounge for private trading away from other clients for transactions over $5k as well so that you're not handling large sums of cash next to a stranger - the Perth Mint doesn't even have that.

Customers are not locked in our office - they are locked out. We have interlocking doors to prevent unwanted intruders from rushing the place. As a courtesy we will buzz open the outer glass door when you leave, but there is a "press to exit" button in the vestibule area - at any time, a client can leave our office without our intervention. This is why we can't hand bullion out through the pass through slot for you to inspect prior to payment.

I'm sorry that your last experience visiting our office didn't meet your expectations - however we are a bullion dealer, not a numismatic dealer, we do not pass off old product as new, and we have put a lot of thought into our customers security and safety. It that makes us difficult to deal with I can only apologise.

7. Eureka Moments

Eureka Moments Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

^^^ Buzz the 10oz pamp w/ cracked case.

Edit to add: Just purchased. :)

8. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

lol thats the spirit .

@ the pelican i think you need to pay extra for your membership after that exhorbitant use of bandwidth :p:

I will say that the most lengthy explanation/apology ive ever seen just the fact that you took the time to write it & explain the circumstances is admirable . I dont know any other industry where that would happen ..

9. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Done.

10. Steve19800

Steve19800 New Member

Thanks for your reply.
    Regarding the Perth Mint bar, I have no doubt that you are only selling real metal that's why there was first purchase and coming back again to purchase another. Is a customer able to inspect the bar by himself prior to payment? The answer is Yes. I don't know about anyone else's experience but at least that was my first experience, this is very clear. And also the experience of another guy looking for silver coins standing just next to me and served by another person, there are two counters in your physical store. Just to clarify so it doesn't sound like the bar inspection resulting in queue. At that time there was only one guy serving the customer at one of the counter and those clients just came in no longer than 2 minutes in the middle of our conversation. I understand some of the bars travel quite a long of distance even more more than 50,000km in some circumtances and take hours and days to reach the destination, some even lost during the shipping therefore there is insurance. Everything can happen not to mention the crime rates in the suburbs or any other disaster.

You were serving me in the present of your friend as well during the first visit. The third visit served by you as well, I don't know your name anyway. Another clarification, you did say that each box contains five bars but you did not say that you couldn't open it because it was already committed in regards to the customer's existing online order. What you Did say is, I can only pick one or some of them from all of the four bars you have presented at the counter and you did not open the new box although it is obvious that you sell one single certicard and sealed bar per transaction. I don't know if you leave some of the bars that are in a particular condition for a particular customer though, maybe they pay extra for the good one and pay less for the worse appearance? As far as I am aware the condition of the PAMP Suisse 500g you showed me was much more worse than the picture anyone has posted in this forum and you said they are brand new and from the very first batch, produced in 1990? Despite milk spot is not uncommon, people want to get rid of it, the reason is bullion is bullion.

Regarding your extreme concern about security and safety, use a ticket number to serve one customer at one time if queue is long or by appointment so that no one is wandering around when a particular customer is served.
    Your apology is accepted however due to the limited stock (1 or 2 left) of the 'bullion' bar quality, it doesn't offer me much choices. Not everyone buys silver/gold bars and coins for investment vehicle, some people buy them for other purpose such as collection.

11. SilverTouch

SilverTouch Active Member Silver Stacker

Im sorry but is this guy for real?

So your buying silver and gold to look at not as an investment? Think you need to buy Numismatic there mate

12. renovator

Theres an old saying that you cant keep 100% of the people happy 100% of the time & another one that says some people will never be happy regardless of what you do .. I think this one falls in the second category . Steve i think you need to buy graded coins & keep away from bars if your that fussy .

99.9% of people buy them & have no problem . .

13. Phiber

Phiber Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Wow!
    Mate, snap out of it! Get a grip for f*** sake!

14. renovator

Phiber dont hold back tell us what you really think lol

15. Steve19800

Steve19800 New Member

Yeah that's the easiest way to express yourself anywhere in the world.

16. Aurora et luna

Aurora et luna Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Surely someone here should be able to dig up a pic of an Ainslie or ABC silver kilo bar circa 2008 -2009 for Steve19800
    I think there was even a tread on who owned the ugliest bars once; just can't find it.
    Unfortunately I have deleted all the pics of the really ugly ones that I had the misfortune to come across.
    He would be instantly transformed into a happy camper once he compares what he currently owns to what we use to buy only a few years ago. :)

17. Steve19800

Steve19800 New Member

You guys have no idea what was the silver bar looked like, if you are happy with that just pay for it. Maybe we have different experience, that's absolutely fine. But I am very sure that I am not that fussy and I will get 'decent' metals.
    Collecting numismatic maybe politically correct but in fact you are collecting what you like to collect not limited only to the precious metals.

18. SilverTouch

Here you go just scroll down the page and you posted the thread to hahaha

http://forums.silverstackers.com/topic-638-ainslie-silver-bars-are-the-ugliest-bars-ever.html

19. SilverTouch

Go take a look at those Ainslie bars on that link near the bottom, then come back and say sorry to everyone hahaha

20. whinfell

whinfell Well-Known Member Silver Stacker