2012 Niue Island 2$ AMBER ROOM "Mysteries of History"

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by SILVERCOINSSHOW, Dec 16, 2012.

1. xrayspecs

xrayspecs New Member

It's actually from the Mint of Poland, not NZ Mint. It just lists the coin as being legal tender in NZ due to to it being a Niue coin, which is a stretch of course.

There are much nicer looking "innovative" coins out there. I'm not a fan of this one

2. xrayspecs

xrayspecs New Member

My advice is, if you're buying for investment go bullion. If you're buying to collect them buy what appeals to you, and to hell with anyone elses opinion on that :)

3. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

It's actually Mint of Poland - the legal tender of Niue is the New Zealand Dollar. Generally these micro-nations receive a royalty for allowing foreign mints to issue coins with their legal tender status.

They certainly need an English editor to review the certificates :/

4. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I still don't like the way they get around making those coins
    And certainly want be getting any of them

5. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

Hi, i personally only pay small premiums on bullion, PM bullion is my upper limit on MODERN COINS, if i pay numismatic premiums i buy ACTUAL Numismatics.. ANTIQUE Silver Pulled from Circulated in Higher Grades, i Collect NZ, Australia, GB, India, Straights Settlements, Malaya, Indo-Chine and China, Japan and Korean, USA, Canada, Mexico, Spain.

I have a massive World Silver Antique Collection which i have accummulated for only small premiums over spot, i never go crazy but have some TRUE numi peices like the NZ 1935 3d, the 38 crown etc.. some old Trade Dollars Chinese etc.

I am passionatley againest MODERN LIMITED edition fine silver with massive premiums DUE ONLY to limited mintage OR plastic/glass/rhinestone/semi precious stone inclusions PERIOD and think you are basically getting ripped off.. i dont ever see a big secondary market that is sustainable given the OUTRAGIOUS RRP's

I collect and invest in good value, if the price is already on the moon, where else can you expect it to go but back to earth?

The good thing is we all have a different investment mentality, the sad thing is - most of us will lose terribly.

1for1

6. SILVERCOINSSHOW

SILVERCOINSSHOW New Member

I am very surprised that you know so little about micro-nations that is at eight place in Top 10 Silver Producing Countries
    (not long time ago Poland was the fifth place)

"The production of silver is 37.7 million in Poland. The production of silver increases in 2011 compared with their average production from 1998 to 2006 is 14.4%. The situation of Poland is close because a majority of the production is handled by a single mine."

http://www.tiptoptens.com/2011/05/19/top-10-silver-producing-countries/

BTW if not Polish astronomer Nicolaus Copernicus. You would still think that Earth is in the center of the universe :lol:

7. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

Was Nicolaus Copernicus not familar with the Persian star Charts from 12000 BC that proved this beyond a shadow of a doubt, fairly sure the anicents were schooled in this however this knowledge was briefly lost to the ages..

So we credit our polish friend for this do we?

1for1

8. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Not lost, surpressed! How could god not have the Earth as the centre of the universe?

Copernicus stuck his neck on the line with his heretical theories. I think the pope fogave him a few years ago though.

9. badhammy

badhammy Member Silver Stacker

Perhaps:
    Area 51 :|
    Jimmy Hoffa's Gravesite :/
    or The Batcave :p
    or anything as equally retarded enough to put on a coin

10. Aureus

Aureus Active Member Silver Stacker

I'd take a punt on it for $100 but the prices people are asking is a big turnoff. It isn't an original concept, and it's no Tiffany art coin either.

Nice, but not $250 nice.

11. NiueIs

NiueIs New Member

Interesting thread.

I know nothing about the numismatic business but have recently been asked by New Zealand Mint company to work on some designs for future Niue coins. I get the sense that this is a bit like the giclee fine art reproduction market in that the value of the finished article is really only worth the production, the paper/canvas its printed on and the ink used, plus a LITTLE perhaps for marketing. Especially in the USA, such signed reproductions of machine prints are sold for ridiculous prices many thousands of percent more than their production cost.

But at least being a Niue resident and artist I hope to infuse some form of instrinsic value and idiosyncratic substance into the final product where the use of Pokemon, Star Wars and Batman imagery and packaging could never. Ironically, these editions will be hard acts to follow in terms of sales but I am sure the more discerning collector will appreciate the local input.

I'm not sure where the Polish connection comes in, because I thought the NZ Mint had Niue sown up. Maybe they didn't before but have now with the signing of a $6million, 10 year deal with The Niue Numismatic corp : http://www.voxy.co.nz/business/niue-mints-deal-over-queens-head/5/141431

An earlier post was concerned that Niue may not have the legal way-with-all to make sure they are getting a good deal. They needn't because there are astute lawyers and accountants on the board, all immediate family to the CEO, the Premier (Prime Minister) of Niue himself. The only folk who need to be concerned are the People of Niue who are wondering where all this money is going to. But thats not the customer's problem.

Hopefully, we can come up with something of value in this rather dubious business.

www.markcross.nu

12. GiLa

GiLa New Member

I'd buy coins if they made me laugh
    still waiting for a flaming pile of dog crap coin
    call it the prank series

13. alexbecks

alexbecks Member

Just wondering about this: there are a lot of collectors of banknotes. At least there is little of precious metal behind these modern numismatic items, but what is behind an old note? Their value is strictly bound to the collectors demand. When no one will be interested in that note anymore, it is just a piece of paper that can be used in a way I can't say in the forum :)

Alex.

14. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

The intrinsic value of the metal in the modern collectors coins is a small percentage of the price on the coin, about 30% for the cheaper coins.

Same thing for the bank notes, the value of the paper is not what drives the price. How rare a bank note is, the condition and how sought after the bank note is determines the price.

It is unlikely that a coin collector would melt the coin just to get at the silver and it is unlikely that a banknote collector would reach for their collection if they got caught short.

If everyone lost interest in the banknote it would be worthless but you only need two people to be interested in it and you have an auction!

15. NiueIs

NiueIs New Member

Which bears out why a Niue coin issue valued at around $500 is actually legal tender in Niue........but only for $5. Suffice to say, you don't see these coins making the rounds in Niue.