Any ex-pat Aussies living in Singapore

Discussion in 'Markets & Economies' started by rbaggio, Dec 7, 2012.

1. bron suchecki

bron suchecki Active Member Silver Stacker

If Perth Mint was to open an office in Singapore I'd be there in a flash. I say go for it.

2. AgH20

AgH20 New Member

Lotsa icy cold Tiger beer, Heineken beer (but no Homer Simpson Duff beer) that goes well with S'pore chilli crab.

Short hop over to Malaysia for great shopping and food.

Sinkers is clean and safe, just don't jaywalk or chew gum :D

3. Warren James

Warren James New Member

Singapore is great - I can recommend the experience, go for it. My tips:

- Brace yourself for the rich/poor divide, it's very much in-your-face and will eventually get to you if not mentally prepared.
    - Spend time to integrate with the other ex-pat groups, you'll need that for social support.
    - You can buy gold over the counter at the UBS Bank in Raffles Quay (the only bank that does this) - there is now no GST on buying physical gold :)
    - Cost of living (particularly rental) will empty your coffers very quickly - remember that Singapore is an export destination for US inflation. You can mitigate this by sharing a place with others, depending on your circumstances. Don't rent off the chinese - they are ruthless! Many people have migrated to the north of Singapore near the Malaysian border to escape rental property (and those are the ppl with expat salary packages!)
    - Be sure to negotiate ahead of time with your prospective employer regarding any benefits. They know the cost of living, and you will get to find out how valuable you are to them.
    - Sort out your healthcare cover! Most corporate health plans aren't worth the paper they're written on and you will only find out when it matters.
    - Use the opportunity abroad to build your wealth - i.e. the ATO can't get you over there and there are no capital gains taxes in SG. Depending on your circumstances you may wish to maximize any australian-based income, but do some study into double tax agreements and taxation liability to get a practical edge before you leave - e.g. leave Australia in January rather than July.
    - Be aware that once you become 'international', you will find it VERY difficult to re-integrate back into Australia, particularly on a professional level.
    - Make use of the free locations like Labrador Park
    - Use Singapore as your base to see the rest of Asia - it is all very close by.
    - If you are potentially changing jobs, consider getting a 'Personalised Employment Pass', which enables you to shop around for work and not be bound to a specific 'sponsor'.

4. malachii

malachii Well-Known Member

We noticed healthcare, rent and schooling were incredibly expensive as an ex pat in both Singapore and Honkers. Taxes were a lot less in both. Other than that - fantastic experience for all the family. My then 4 year old could speak cantonese like a local just from listening/talking to the locals that worked for us.

malachii

5. rbaggio

rbaggio Active Member Silver Stacker

Thanks for the great info, I really appreciate it

Can you elaborate? Maybe I'm naive, but not sure what you mean.

6. bron suchecki

I think he means that you will have a worldview whereas your Aussie counterparts will have a small minded Australia is the best place in the whole world blah blah blah

7. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

your heart is where your stacks is :lol:

if you need to move, you can hand carry your Perth Mint bullion products GST free.

If you ever need to borrow a receipt, I think people in SS will be more than happy to lend theirs to you first. :p

the rental can vary widely depending on the unit you will be renting... starting from $2300-2400 for a 4 rooms flat (3 bed rooms HDB further away from town about 35 minutes by MRT-to Citihall)
    up to how much the company is willing to pay for the staff :)

8. Warren James

Warren James New Member

Bron is exactly right - in Singapore you will be exposed to a multitude of new cultures and perspectives, and (hopefully) working alongside best practice international and regional professionals. Upon your return to Australia you may find the local environment less stimulating. Subtle effect, but very real.

9. rbaggio

rbaggio Active Member Silver Stacker

Got it, thanks.

I work for a global company, we're made up of all types, but I take your point, thanks.

The Gentleman that runs our Asia business just moved from Australia (promotion), and he wants an Aussie to come over and help mentor the locals in how to do things (processes, strategies etc). This is the role I would be applying for.

10. digoxin

digoxin Member Silver Stacker

Are you 'telling us' something more in that statement?

Possibility of the Perth Mint taking over the Singapore Mint? :p

11. bron suchecki

I don't think Singapore Govt gives up control, plus I think they can work out their own mintage policy.

12. petey

petey Active Member Silver Stacker

What is the work ethic like over there? Flat chat, long hours?

13. Warren James

Warren James New Member

@rbaggio, IMO the local Singaporean work force is a sub-culture in its own right - they are perhaps not best known for their innovation! Consider why your counterpart requires the support ... if you can bring leadership and creativity then you'll thrive, but be patient with them.

@rOdman, yes generally the expectations for performance is high and some (culture) clients are particularly demanding, but the environment is like any other working conditions in my experience. Also check the holiday offerings in the contract because many firms tend to adopt the American '2 weeks holiday/year' standard as a given. But the plus side is there are many different public holidays due to the variety of cultures.

14. yennus

yennus Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Singapore is an AWESOME place! It's my favorite little island! :)

Food is amazing.
    Almost perfectly safe any time of day and any place.
    Almost perfectly clean and tidy.
    People there are among the politest people in the world.
    Very unlikely to get ripped off or cheated.
    Food is amazing.
    Lots of places to go shopping.
    Oh yeah, the food is amazing!

The Singaporeans have their own culture based humor... very funny once you understand it.