Number of newbies

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Scorpion75, Jan 2, 2012.

1. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

Thank you butch. I am cute and cuddly. So my wife says anyway. :)

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Not trying to fight the paradigm shift, just lamenting it.

As for creation of a subforum for something like that, it wouldn't have merit or meaning here anymore. It would just be a shitfight of opinionated diatribe and I think GP has bigger things to worry about than having to manage that as well.

Besides, I think it's pretty clear that sort of ideological discussion really has no merit or value here anyway.

This is what the community consensus wants, so why bother trying to fight it?

Let the mob rule as it will.

3. Pirocco

Pirocco Well-Known Member

I find it nice that people care about newbies. I bought all my silver when spot was $32-33 and during the runup to $50 and later to $44 I told them many times to not buy at those prices. Because this is what the silver market ruins, its a viscious circle where newbies much more arrive than gold and the professionals lure them into paying way too much and then they end up their first silver experience in the red, get disappointed and leave or swap to gold later.

4. silverstar1

silverstar1 New Member

Look at all the drama, this is actually getting interesting. Seriously though I am new to this forum been looking at it for a few months and been posting lately and I have been haveing fun with it. I have never really cared much for forums before but this seemed like an interesting place where people are into some similar coins I like and interests ,PMs. I am certainly no newbie to metals and have dealt with them for a long time but there is always more to learn and i like interacting with people here and discussing coins and metals ( god knows my wife is sick of hearing about them). Anyway if I am causing anyone problems justy let me know, I could be on any forum I just happened on this one and if asked to leave it is really no big deal at all. It has been fun Thanks...

5. smokey

smokey New Member

not everyone bought silver years ago :rolleyes:
    what is a newbie?
    less than a year on this forum as a member?

6. silverstar1

silverstar1 New Member

Good question, I originally thought they meant new to buying metals buy maybe they mean new to the forum or maybe both , so yeah what qualifies one as a newbie there has to be a certain time limit and is it new to the forum or new to metals? Please enlighten us your royal highness!

7. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Newbie = recently started purchasing bullion
    With no real idea & start asking questions that have been covered here before.
    Start trying to sell on here with no idea about the process here ,& asking crazy prices for bullion
    If you want to get top $ for your bullion ,
    Sell it on fleebay

I had an English hallmarked ingot I tried to sell on here ,just got over spot
    I put it on fleebay ,2 x spot
    A 5oz bar on fleebay for the price of a 10oz bar .
    Rant over

8. silverstar1

silverstar1 New Member

Thanks for the clarification. I havent spent much time here buying or selling so maybe that is more where this is directed. I would think "newbies" would be a positive thing for the most part as it adds new buyers and sellers .

9. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I'm basically saying to the newbies
    PLEASE read & read ,than read some more
    ALL the info you guys seek is on here already ,I don't mind educating newbies
    After all if CK & GP didn't educate me ,I wouldn't be here :)
    Have an open mind
    NOBODY knows everything.

10. silverstar1

silverstar1 New Member

Hey I got an idea maybe someone could start a new forum and to become a member it could be a process similar to buying bullion from the perth mint? Just an idea

11. SilverNash

SilverNash New Member

Spannermokey has helped me on the few occassions I have had questions and for that I'm greatful
    I am a newbie as you can see
    <-- but we're not all as bad as you make out, I'm in the UK and can't find much in the way of info or
    so I do ask maybe what are to you stupidly obvious questions but, we need to learn from somewhere.

Thanks again Spannermonkey

12. Mitchell

Mitchell Member

This reminds me of something..

[​IMG]

13. DanDee

DanDee Active Member Silver Stacker

Sounds like a plan!!! you would of course have to apply the same test to existing members, then all the failures could go start their own forum and those that are left,
    (me and Auspm) could get on with the business of educating each other. :lol: :lol: :lol: :eek: :p

14. DanDee

DanDee Active Member Silver Stacker

wrong shiney, there's a valuable lesson right there!!!

once you've cracked the code, all is revealed!! :cool:

15. REDBACK

REDBACK Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I love the Newbie posts that start like this in the Sales Forum.

Hi this is my first post so i am not really sure what price to sell at.
    I have 120 kilo's of Silver in 1 kg Pamp Swiss Bars,50 ounces of various gold coins and 2 kilo's in various karat gold jewellery.Preference given to someone wanting to buy the lot.
    Thanks Dennis the Fence

The responses start like a well composed Mozart symphony.One bit of good advice building upon another then another then another.Then the Flock grows and the scene from Finding Nemo flashes upThen its like Texas Hold Em~All in..

35 posts later and still no response from the seller..Poor bugger spooked again :lol:

REDBACK

16. Guest

Guest Guest

I agree with you here. It's just as you think I'd imagine, a seeping in of the wider community values.

For better or worse, this was always on the cards to some degree (as previously predicted) and I personally find it a little sad it's gone this direction, but there's nothing you can do to stop it.

I am torn between trying to compromise with a world that's opposing core fundamental values (and ideals) and simply giving up and flipping it the bird. I think that comes through in my posts of late which almost seem schizophrenic I am sure, but it's simply my battle with facing this crap head on.

Honestly, I don't see the point anymore in trying to stand for ideals and principles in a world that pays it lip service at best, leverages the crap out of it for profit at worst.

Some days I really want to get stuck in here and say 'No, this is just frakking wrong' and it always comes back to slap me in the face because for better or worse, this is absolutely an ideologically divided community exactly as you'd expect with a high and growing population and ultimately, it's just not worth it.

I poured around ten thousand posts into this forum and community over the last couple years, trying to help give the discussions some momentum and spread the word but lately I'm just at a point where I feel it's a wasted effort.

Half the time, the 'newbies' that come on board are simply market opportunists, looking for an easy cash in. There's a minority of good people with the real fundamentalist ideology in them looking for a helping hand, but you just never know if someone is legit or simply going to give you a condescending slap in the face for trying to help.

So yeah, I find it really hard to bother right now because what was encouraged, supported and endorsed as a community on SS 2 years ago, can go virtually anywhere today, depending on who's reading and who's looking for a fight.

At the end of the day, all I can say is I'm bloody glad I'm not the administrator of this forum. It's more or less an investment forum and people are damn funny when it comes to money. I don't envy GP's position in running this place at all and wish him all the best when we get the bulk of the mob romp up on the doorstep with dollar signs in the eyes.

Thanks for the offer on the Dragons mate, but I'm happy to stay put right now. You hold onto your metal and get the best price for it.

I'm not longer going to try and play the idealist in terms of markets and values. Let the mob decide what something is worth, for better or worse.

The Dragon flippathon at launch was what I consider a dark day for SS and the community. It brought out some of the worst in people and I really hate to see stackers ripping off other stackers.

Okay, 'ripping off' is debatable so I won't go any further on it other than to say it's just my opinion on the subject - case closed.

I just didn't like the 'this is my price now frak off and don't complain' attitude that came out in force at that time as people really started to push the boundaries on mutual respect with other stackers.

I only imagine if we get take off on Ag in the near future, it'll get much, much worse with the late comers to the party.

My daughter bought dragons at issue price, I will probably give them a miss. I think they're over rated and (dare I say it) over saturated in the current market.

17. smokey

smokey New Member

just kidding
    sorry about that

what about a two post a day limit? :lol:

18. grinners

grinners Active Member Silver Stacker

To people worrying about whether they are still welcome, relax!

This thread, in my opinion, was directed at "If I buy silver, will I be a millionaire by next Tuesday?" and "How many grams are in a troy ounce?" type threads :)

People who have made a reasonable effort to find the information out themselves (atleast a google search!), ask away :) That is how we all learn.

Heck, it may seem easy to the long-timers here, but i remember it being quite difficult to find out the difference between proof and BU!

19. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

Yeah i agree everyone is welcome here chill out relax with a beer a smoke a cup of tea whatever you like & ask questions as much as you like . Dont listen to the few people complaining theres always someone to answer your questions no matter how silly they are .Its been said many times "the only stupid question is the one you never ask ".

20. errol43

errol43 New Member Silver Stacker

At the end of 2008 and early 2009, I started surfing the net looking for information on silver. I visited Kitco, Ainslie and e bay and listen to Celente,Maloney, Daughty, Schiff etc.

Auspm provided many a link to many silver related posts. I used to be a visitor to SS and Auspm in those times used to post many times each day encouraging new members in particular pointing out where to buy your silver at the right price.

There was several other posters who used to contribute to make this site what it is today. Hanrahan and Churchill as well as The GREAT GOLD PELICAN..Many of the first 100 members are still here day.

This is the first forum that I joined and to this day I have not joined any others..It took me a few months pondering and then one of my sons persuaded me to do it and join.

I too think that this site has changed a bit..The amount of traffic of posters has really accelerated..You post a new topic and it can be on page 2 in next to no time.

It's like an online news channel now..Something happens somewhere and it is on here within a couple of hours.

Regards Errol 43

There seems to be a few more members these days pushing a mainstream political agenda and play the man instead of the ball.