Number of newbies

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Scorpion75, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Marco55

Marco55 Member

Compared to most of you, I am an oldie. I was a Coin Collector way back in the 1960`s. And bought my first Silver Bullion in the late 1970`s at $5 an ounce.

We are all on Silver Stackers for different reasons, and different experiences. This forum is very good, I for one have learnt a lot. There is also a lot of BS, which I don`t get involved in. Particularly the types that frequent "Overlord" type forums.

I hope this forum continues to get more newbies, but mainly not the ones that want to make a "quick buck".

2. DanDee

DanDee Active Member Silver Stacker

mostly right, just need a little clarifcation.
    I 'm always up for a little education, but I prefer to choose my educator,.
    I have no problem with open discussion.
    I, and everyone else who walks through that door to ask an honest question are on our own?? What makes you think YOU are the only one who can educate us?
    I have asked for, and gotten very helpful information from several members, and for that I am thankful. THANKS!!! (see?)
    You wont lend me a helping hand anymore? Boofarkinhoo, that really hurts! (not!) I don't recall asking you for help,and please be assured that I won't blame you if I get ripped off.
    you don't know me, and you have no idea what I do or do not know.
    not a lot, but if you have any questions, feel free to ask, I'll do my best to help, 'cause that's the kind of guy I am.
    cheers.

3. jparrie

jparrie Member

What's that? Know idea how to spell? (Only pulling your leg).

4. Big A.D.

Big A.D. Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Of course it does.

If you were to stand inside a coin dealer's shop and tell anyone who walked through the door that their prices were a rip off, the store owner would be well within their rights to ask you to leave. You might even get whacked with a claim for defamation if you were really obnoxious about it or the store owner was a real bastard.

When someone starts a thread in the trading forums, that's their own little virtual store front for as long as their offer is open. You're free to accept their offer or giggle quietly to yourself about how ridiculous it is as you see fit. As it happens, I look at a lot of threads thinking "Yeah, good luck with that buddy" and usually my opinion is validated when I see the thread getting bumped for the umpteenth time.

That's price discovery. You have to keep watching it constantly to be able to observe any movement in what the market thinks is a "fair price" because a "fair price" isn't static. I can remember a number of threads that produced quite surprising results, either where something was offered for (what I thought was) a cheap price and it didn't sell or something was offered for (what I thought was) a very expensive price and it did sell.

I'm quite happy having rules or codes of conduct to ensure all this happens smoothly and efficiently but what people do with their money really isn't any of my business.

5. jparrie

jparrie Member

I'm quite happy to be enlightened, mainly because I don't think I know it all. (Apart from religion, that really sh*ts me too).

6. DanDee

Exactly, I seek knowledge, I search out what I need to know, I ask those that know about things I don't. All good.
    But when someone tries to tell me what they believe I need to know, and pretends it's for my benefit , then I don't think that's very nice.
    cheers :mad:

7. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

I think DanDee had a serious case of tongue in cheek :rolleyes:

8. hawkeye

hawkeye New Member Silver Stacker

I think this is a great place for education. But also, everyone gets things wrong from time to time. I try to make the best effort I can to get things right when I post but like everyone else I'm not perfect. When I first started posting on forums I thought I was a know-it-all and got shot down pretty fast. If you're new to forums it's a learning experience. If you get something wrong, expect to be shot down, sometimes nicely, sometimes not. I'm now at the point where I always appreciate if someone corrects an error that I've made. It's how we all learn. It would be nice, but unfortunately there is no central fount of wisdom that we can go to.

9. VRS

VRS Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Well there's nothing like DISCLOSURE is there lol!?????????

That's not my take on SS... nor a number of others on here... It is a place to learn, exchange (in every sense, not just material) and trade...

Personally I reserve my overtly commercial filthy lucre-driven activities for Fleabay, my website & ongoing relationships with my client book... SS seriously ISN'T my bread & butter - if it was I'd be f$cking homeless & broke (of which I am thankfully neither)...

:D

10. Nugget

Nugget Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

No need to add to the homeless people's problems by trying to shag them VRS :p

11. DanDee

I don't get the connection, but it's all good ,sometimes you take what you can get, done it myself, but the wealthy are much cleaner, and don't smell/taste like fish. :p

12. Scorpion75

Scorpion75 New Member

Jparrie, I've been typing "know" a lot today. A bad habit for today only i hope. I have to do reports at work and don't bugger the spelling in those. I don't even spell check either. I'm slipping.LOL

Scorp

13. Guest

Guest Guest

I'm shore its jast pedant dicks

14. DanDee

that's not how you spell pendant. :mad:

15. Nugget

Nugget Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

It's also not how you spell Baby Boomers

JUST KIDDING ---- Sheesh :lol:

16. grinners

grinners Active Member Silver Stacker

:p Sorry that is just being pedantic isn't it! :D

17. Bank Manager

Bank Manager Member Silver Stacker

I gave darts the flick in May 2011, since then I have purchased 140 oz from my "ciggie tin" savings.
    It is amazing how much coin you save off the smokes. Lets just not mention the 10kgs I put on in the meantme.

Cheers

18. Eureka Moments

Eureka Moments Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I joined this forum after looking for info about a coin on ebay I was interested in buying.

I am thankful for all the input from members and posts that people make. It's a public forum and I dont know if restricting membership is a good idea unless you are confident that everyone here now knows absolutely everything.

I have made a few dumb posts, some in ignorance and some light-heartedly. I am glad to be shown the error of my ways by smart people, but not by smart-arses.

Perhaps I should not have joined the forum. I dont have much stacked and no SMSF to play with. I thought that interaction with others here would be a good thing but I suppose it would be better if newbies like myself just stick to reading others posts.

Maybe you could set up an entrance exam for all new members to pass? If you're too ignorant or stupid then you dont get in. There can be sections for PM and investment knowledge and you could also add web etiquette and spelling to keep the pedants happy.

19. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

Hey EM, post away buddy, don't worry about what others think. Ask and learn, just don't expect me to teach you anything :)

20. Butch

Butch Active Member Silver Stacker

He's only saying that because he does'nt know anything, but apart from that EM, he's cute and kinda cuddly!!!!! :p